I would like to see a more intentional connection to the trail - preferably even a trail along where Oliver would be connecting down to Summer St, with clear connections into the site on either side (north and south) of the middle garage. Otherwise I'm generally pleased with this site plan.

Except for the giant surface lot. Still. I get that's it right next to Kroger's lot, but that's part of the problem maybe? You effectively have this massive sea of parking greeting you from Studemont, and the new N/S cross street, which could be a very pleasant access point, has a big whole on the west side. 

But overall: pleased. Just give me my Oliver St. trail.

It looks... not terrible? At least the eastern half.

Looks like the freeway frontage is just parking, not residential. A pseudo street grid with relatively narrow RoWs, structured parking. The surface parking dominating the western half isn't great, and it looks like there'll be zero integration with the MKT trail (in fact, it may be actively isolated from the trail), but it's better than the previous plans.

5 hours ago, Triton said:

PLEASE get us a cinema.... I would absolutely go here rather than the AMC in downtown.

I'm concerned this is going to be an iPix with how small the cinema footprint is.   Our town desperately needs more movie theaters, but not ones where it's $17 to see a movie in a small room.   

I'm also really concerned/saddended that there is no obvious connection with the MKT trail, because that would be the way I come here 80% of the time. 

Edited by crock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Timoric said:

That was something the 90s were good for, decent brand new suburban movie theaters with lots of screens in big box retail 300K square foot shopping centers,  I particularly remember seeing Independence Day in 1996 in one somewhere up North- a great movie at the time, they nuked Houston

i lived in Dallas for 3 years and recently moved back to Houston.  It's insane how much better central Dallas's movie theater options are than Houston's.   From still having their Angelika, to having a huge brand new Alamo Drafthouse on the outskirts of downtown, to Inwood Theater and Highland Park theater, to Texas Theatre, to Magnolia Theater, a nice dolllar theater in Irving, half dozen decent mall movie theaters within 15 miles of downtown.      

central Houston has... River Oaks playing movies only for senior citizens and the AMC8 thats a shallow shell of its former sundance which was a hollow shell of its former Angelika and that absurd iPic, and then Edwards Greenway with its paid parking garage.      It sucks. 

Edited by crock
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, crock said:

I'm concerned this is going to be an iPix with how small the cinema footprint is.   Our town desperately needs more movie theaters, but not ones where it's $17 to see a movie in a small room.   

I'm also really concerned/saddended that there is no obvious connection with the MKT trail, because that would be the way I come here 80% of the time. 

Same here... hoping for something not too expensive like a Cinemark.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, Serrano said:

found this it looks like the most recent layout : 

updated2019.JPG

19 hours ago, Angostura said:

It looks... not terrible? At least the eastern half.

Looks like the freeway frontage is just parking, not residential. A pseudo street grid with relatively narrow RoWs, structured parking. The surface parking dominating the western half isn't great, and it looks like there'll be zero integration with the MKT trail (in fact, it may be actively isolated from the trail), but it's better than the previous plans.

18 hours ago, crock said:

Here are my observations:

1. There is SOME connection to trail. You may not SEE physcial paths, etc... But there is a restaurant there, facing the trail. There will be interaction with the trail there. This would be a great ice house / bar / casual restaurant.

2. My suspicion is that the structure against the freeway is a placeholder. I believe this will be residential units... It says 'Lobby / Leasing' for apartments... A garage doesn't need a lobby or leasing. Since the apartment on the south end is u/c and plans are fully developed, they can show that in detail. Don't fret folks... it will be residential 

3. Looks like the North side target parking will be connected to the development. That would be huge for connectivity from Sawyer Street.

4. Looks like there was a land swap with the station on the corner of Studemont and i10. They are getting more space just south of their station and the development will get a straight shot access from the feeder. that is also good news.

All and all I am happy with this, if it develops as planned. I would use this trail often, and having a restaurant right there next to the path would be awesome. Would love another theater option as well. This seems like a good compromise for urban-density and Houston's car loving citizens.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 5

On 7/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, Serrano said:

found this it looks like the most recent layout : 

updated2019.JPG

Oh I just noticed that too! Summer St looks connected! That would seriously be huge for this area, especially since there is no feeder lane from Taylor to Studemont.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 9:22 PM, crock said:

i lived in Dallas for 3 years and recently moved back to Houston.  It's insane how much better central Dallas's movie theater options are than Houston's.   From still having their Angelika, to having a huge brand new Alamo Drafthouse on the outskirts of downtown, to Inwood Theater and Highland Park theater, to Texas Theatre, to Magnolia Theater, a nice dolllar theater in Irving, half dozen decent mall movie theaters within 15 miles of downtown.      

central Houston has... River Oaks playing movies only for senior citizens and the AMC8 thats a shallow shell of its former sundance which was a hollow shell of its former Angelika and that absurd iPic, and then Edwards Greenway with its paid parking garage.      It sucks. 

Even the burbs of Dallas have Alamo Drafthouses everywhere! I don't understand why Houston seems to be behind in this area. Heck, downtown L.A. is getting an Alamo Drafthouse before inner Loop Houston.

But I doubt this new theater near the Heights will be an iPic. They tend not to be build too many in one market. I believe they only have two in the much more populous L.A. area, for example, and those are located in Westwood and Pasadena, roughly 30 miles apart.

Edited by BillyBreedlove
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, brunsonpark08 said:

I’m thinking studio movie grill or a boutique Cinemark like the woodlands market street. A six screen or so playing a mix of hits and art house. Praying to the heavens it’s an Alamo Drafthouse.

An Alamo Drafthouse inside the loop would be fantastic.

• Like 4

Especially since they just got an Alamo in downtown LA! https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-alamo-drafthouse-los-angeles-20190715-story.html

It's like they're just trying to play with us. 😧

Seriously, the Heights project seems to be the kind of project Alamo would be interested in. If you look at all the new Alamos in DFW, they're all in newly built, mixed-use developments like the The Irving/Las Colinas one  whichis in the same development with the Toyota Music Factory, a major concert venue, and a ton of restaurants/bars. The LA one is in something called The Bloc. I can't imagine a more perfect scenario for Alamo to set up shop inside the Loop.

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Well, hate to be the one to burst your movie loving bubble, but you can give up on an Alamo Drafthouse opening in Lower Heights District.

There would be a LLC for a Alamo Drafthouse in Lower Heights District by now, but there isn't.

I don't know which movie theater is opening here, but I'd like to see a Star Cinema. IMO, it's superior to Studio Movie Grill.

Cinemark recently debuted a boutique-style movie theater in the Dallas area, Cut! by Cinemark. The new concept is planned for Houston too. Maybe it will open here.

Star Cinema is like a more approachable iPic... I like the one in Sugarland.

I think this will be a big branded theater, perhaps as you suggested - a boutique sub brand of a big theater company. Cinemark would make the most sense.

There are a lot more people with higher spending abilities moving in the area. Can't wait to see how the land is developed.

This looks great. It seems like every time I drive past there for the last few weeks, something new has popped up, seems like they are going up fast.

While we all wish for that movie theatre, so does basically everyone in a 5-6 mile radius, which means that thing will be packed all day, every day. If its a newer-boutique style place, or a Star Cinema/Studio Movie Grill I can see this being Target 2.0, where you're there and you're like "this is the busiest place I've been to all day." If the right big-box retail goes in, its going to be shenanigans on the weekends. I can't wait. 

I remember paying for a seat to see Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse at the new River Oaks District. I opted for the cheaper seat and was sent through a different door into a caged area at the lowest line of seats while above me rich people lounged on settees and ate grapes that hung pendently above their mouths 

28 minutes ago, Triton said:

Honestly that's fine too. I just hope it's not another "luxury" cinema.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

I remember paying for a seat to see Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse at the new River Oaks District. I opted for the cheaper seat and was sent through a different door into a caged area at the lowest line of seats while above me rich people lounged on settees and ate grapes that hung pendently above their mouths 

Ha.... ha.... But I really feel like places like AMC, Cinemark, and Edwards are a lot more approachable than something like iPic. Plus, my wife and I love discount Tuesdays at Cinemark. $5.25 for heated luxury loungers!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Someone was so excited they shared the news twice on Reddit Houston, after posting about it here (same as with Buffalo Heights District H-E-B), with rendering included. 

Gotta get those Karma points. 🙄

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/colvhn/cinemark_confirmed_coming_to_lower_heights/

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/cp0s08/newly_released_rendering_of_the_upcoming_cinemark/

What do you mean by Buffalo Heights? Also, why don't you post the rendering to Reddit then? I feel the pain though... all my initial White Oak Music Hall info was taken here from HAIF and it exploded on Reddit... which ended up causing issues for me but that's a longer story.

• Like 1