History Of Briargrove Plaza On Westheimer Rd.

Reefmonkey

I'm curious about the history of Briargrove Plaza, on Westheimer just west of Fountainview. It seems to have retained The Palm steakhouse, The Melting Pot fondue restaurant, and Sun & Ski at least since the late 90s, when I moved back to Houston. The Sun and Ski store looks to be an old movie theatre, and Sun and Ski still uses the theatre marquee as its sign. I'm guessing by the size of the theatre space and the marquee, this was a 3-screen theatre, max, so based on the megaplexes starting to take over in the late 80s-early 90s, I'm guessing this theater closed by 1992-ish? Anyone have any other information on when Briargrove Plaza was built, and notable former tenants?

Briargrove Theater. It used to run $1 movies in the late 80s. A very popular place. I used to ride my bike there all the time. The Palm has been around for as long as I can remember. I believe there was an aerobics place in there too called the Waist Basket.

Don't forget there was a Sonny Look's Steakhouse in Briargrove Plaza. Friday afternoon's and Saturday's the restuarant hired a guy to ride around the parking lot on a horse dressed as a knight in an amoured suite. Real cool stuff.

• The title was changed to History Of Briargrove Plaza On Westheimer Rd.

Archived