777-300LR

nativehoustonion

Bloomberg reported that United Airlines will order 10 777-300LR to replace the 747-400.  With 55 more 787-800/900/1000 and 25 Airbus 350X  It is time to replace the 747-400.  Since last year profit was almost $2 billion the outlook looks good.  Everybody that hates the merger, get over it.  If it did not happen Continental Airlines would be number four behind Southwest.  Continental could not compete with American and Delta without the merger.  So if you think United sucks just fly another airline.  There are still 15,000 employees in Houston and the largest hub.  With over 5,000 flights a day with 150,000 passengers can you really make everybody happy?

I've tried several times, but the customer service is just terrible. When I'm flying for work, the fares we get are the same for United and Southwest. Being elite is nice, but my main goals are a direct flight, on time, and good service. United has not provided that, Southwest has (for all my work destinations: mainly LA, Denver, Philly, Orlando. NYC is the only one i usually fly United for better timing). Maybe it will get better, and there are still bitter heritage Continental employees, but even recently I had issues. So yes, I'm still bitter, the employees are still bitter. Maybe we'll all get over it, but its going to take some more time.

I am looking forward to flying in a 787, and Southwest will never provide that...

That is great I might fly Southwest.  My hole point is Continental at this point alone and the number 4 carrier it would not make it.  And thousands of jobs would be lost in Houston.  I do International flights and we have so many non-stops from IAH.  Mollusk that what I said fly another carrier.  The united app x  is great you never have to call.  The only customer that call is they do not even want to book online.    

I don't believe you Continental never had Global Services.  I listened  to the investor call and United paid off a lot of debt.  Gave back over $200 million to the investors.  This year they will add 11 787-9, 23 737-900ER and 45 ERJ145.  No more 50 seat jets!  You can listen to it on United Continental Holdings under investors.  So you think being Global Services make United a better airline, but it is awful.  And you never got picked up by a Mercedes Benz at the tarmac when your connection is running late?  You never been to the Global Services Clubs in select cities.  Do you like your free upgrades?  I don't think you are GS your remarks sounds like you have no loyalty.  I think you are Premier Silver they are the ones that complain about everything.  Go to American Airlines and do a OA match is United is so awful. Hehe! 

Slick Vic just wondering how you fly for free? Global Services members have to spent at least $40,000 and 100,000 miles every year. So how do you fly for free?

Fly for free on miles that are earned. Once the new mileage rules go into effect that'll be 75000 per trip. And I think the cutoff is closer to $50,000.

I don't believe you Continental never had Global Services. I listened to the investor call and United paid off a lot of debt. Gave back over $200 million to the investors. This year they will add 11 787-9, 23 737-900ER and 45 ERJ145. No more 50 seat jets! You can listen to it on United Continental Holdings under investors. So you think being Global Services make United a better airline, but it is awful. And you never got picked up by a Mercedes Benz at the tarmac when your connection is running late? You never been to the Global Services Clubs in select cities. Do you like your free upgrades? I don't think you are GS your remarks sounds like you have no loyalty. I think you are Premier Silver they are the ones that complain about everything. Go to American Airlines and do a OA match is United is so awful. Hehe!

Upgrades depend on how many business class seats are sold. Sometimes they hit sometimes they don't. But confirmed upgrades are nice. Been to global first lounge in other cities it's ok. Never got the Mercedes. I'm taking a 50 seat jet in a few days actually. United and all airlines are using regional jets to Calgary and Toronto and Montreal which to me is ridiculous. Before global I was 1k I'll admit if you aren't global the service sucks. But my point is the product can not compare to etihad, turkish, singapore, qatar, and emirates. Food sucks the stewardesses are as old as my grandma and once you're on the plane doesn't matter what status you are. When continental was around I remember $35 change fees now it's $200-$300. The service was better on the phone and in person. But United has a good mileage program I'll admit that, but only if you're global services.

Should of would of could of.  No Continental would not of made it.  Just like American Airlines merger with US Airways.  American was bankrupt without US Airways the airline was saved.  That includes thousands of jobs in the DFW area.  Please remember JOBS!  I was rerouted on AA on a MD-80 it was horrible! Torn carpet, old seats, the plane smelled and of course it was 3 hours late.  Move forward not backwards. :) 

Etihad, Emirates, Singapore, Qatar are own by the government.  They pay for fuel, food, everything.  The US Airlines are heavily tax by our wonder government.  Did you see the tax write of 1,200 grandma flight attendances were paid $100,000 dollars to retire.  Also the 50 seat ERJ are be gone at the end of the year.  They will be replaced with the new ERJ175 the 76 with seats and first class.  I hope you know when fly on United's partners it should a United ticket or you will get no PQM and PQD.  You will just get Award miles.  I'm sure you know that.  It awful if they downgrade you status in 2016.    :o

Etihad, Emirates, Singapore, Qatar are own by the government. They pay for fuel, food, everything. The US Airlines are heavily tax by our wonder government. Did you see the tax write of 1,200 grandma flight attendances were paid $100,000 dollars to retire. Also the 50 seat ERJ are be gone at the end of the year. They will be replaced with the new ERJ175 the 76 with seats and first class. I hope you know when fly on United's partners it should a United ticket or you will get no PQM and PQD. You will just get Award miles. I'm sure you know that. It awful if they downgrade you status in 2016. :o

Yes I know that. All the regional jets are not good. They use outsourced flight attendants and pilots who they pay much less. Now even for 3-4 hour flights regional jets are used. Regardless of government subsidies those airlines are much better.

The regionals are generally one or more completely different airlines, sometimes but not always owned by the major, with different employees, contracts, and seniority lists.  They carry the major's colors as part of their code sharing arrangement.

Edit:  FWIW, the MD-80/717 started out as the 70 seat DC-9.

Edit:  FWIW, the MD-80/717 started out as the 70 seat DC-9.

The original DC-9 (DC-9-10) had a wider fuselage than today's regional jetliners and could accommodate a 5 abreast cabin and thus, a more mainline, less cramped feel for passengers. Modern regional jets are only good for 3 to 4 abreast seating.

The original DC-9 (DC-9-10) had a wider fuselage than today's regional jetliners and could accommodate a 5 abreast cabin and thus, a more mainline, less cramped feel for passengers. Modern regional jets are only good for 3 to 4 abreast seating.

True.  I spent plenty of time on TTA (later Texas International) and Ozark DC-9s back when I was more aerodynamic.  They didn't feel all that roomy at the time... somehow that extra seat or two seems to take away a lot of that wide open spaces feeling.  Personally, I don't mind the newer RJs.  Having only three or four abreast does away with the middle seat and allows everybody to have some elbow room.

YMMV.

UA must be getting rock-bottom prices on these 777-300ERs. I do think it will look quite nice in UA's colors. I am hopeful this portends a 777-9X order in UA's future---with the A350-1000's used to upgauge some of the 777-200ER's.  

I fail to see how this order has anything to do with the merger, however. It looks like an airline (UA) is strategically cutting a deal with a manufacturer that wants to keep a line open as long as possible. I think the UA-CO merger was poorly executed, but that the airline is beginning to emerge from that.

Bloomberg reported that United Airlines will order 10 777-300LR to replace the 747-400.  With 55 more 787-800/900/1000 and 25 Airbus 350X  It is time to replace the 747-400.  Since last year profit was almost $2 billion the outlook looks good.  Everybody that hates the merger, get over it.  If it did not happen Continental Airlines would be number four behind Southwest.  Continental could not compete with American and Delta without the merger.  So if you think United sucks just fly another airline.  There are still 15,000 employees in Houston and the largest hub.  With over 5,000 flights a day with 150,000 passengers can you really make everybody happy?

News Flash: I fly ANYBODY over United. I've gotten very familiar with Terminal A and Hartsfield in Atlanta. Thanks Delta! And passenger numbers doesn't equal happy people. Many don't have a choice which carrier they fly---especially for business. Word on the street is Smisek is getting ready to step down as CEO of United. Will be interesting to see which bozo they pick to replace him.

He might now that United is profitable and will make a  lot more money in 2015.  He has a lot of shares on United.  I bought shares at UAL for $27 a share and last week sold it for $77 a share made a good profit.  He has a lot of shares Wall Street advised to hold the shares because they could hit $88.  He might retire soon because his wife is a prof. at Rice  University I'm sure he is tired of commuting.  If you think he is a bozo why run United smart a**. :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

http://aviationweek.com/advanced-machines-aerospace-manufacturing/boeing-ge-define-777-performance-upgrade

Performance upgrade of the 777-300ER in the works. I would not be surprised if a United was indicated as a "launch customer" of the higher performance variant. I use quotes because, depending on the nature of the PIP, it might not be too difficult to add the upgrades to existing orders and retrofit the 777-300ER.

Archived