Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

Improvements Coming to Allen Parkway

I don't think they made the move based on what rain we've had, but based on what is supposed to come through tomorrow through Thursday. If it hits as hard as they are predicting, it's the right/safe move.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if it was the Buffalo Bayou Partnership that drove the move, or Free Press? From what I read last year, most saw NRG as a success and it was at capacity. Would it be cheaper there, so they did a bait and switch again? Or was it due to safety concerns? Half of the ACLs of late have been mud fests.

Or did the folks on the Buffalo Bayou side push them out? Not sure we'll ever know.

My pure guess is that saturated ground and big heavy staging and towers make for a very concerning couple of days.  The "mud" isn't the issue, I would guess.  Rather, it's the actual stability of the riggings.  

• Like 1

Light at Gillette is flashing red as of yesterday. Should be active soon.

They are bulldozing the old westbound lanes around there, redoing it for the new parking lane. Will be interesting to see what state it is all in for the July 4th celebrations.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will be imploding the Allen Parkway entrance ramp to I-45 South in the early morning hours of Saturday, July 9th.

demo.jpg

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see just how they will weave the new ramp into the existing flow.  Has anyone seen the plan? 

2 hours ago, Triton said:

From today:

27949913370_d4816a853e_h.jpg

Allen Parkway by Marc longoria, on Flickr

From Saturday:

27949893580_a78b55855a_h.jpg

27949888810_71d96c04ec_h.jpg

So is the entire ramp being demolished & rebuilt? Has anyone seen the plans as to how lanes/exits/entrances will be arranged? 

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

So is the entire ramp being demolished & rebuilt? Has anyone seen the plans as to how lanes/exits/entrances will be arranged? 

See page 26: http://www.downtowntirz.org/images/150205_Allen_Parkway_Public_Meeting_Final.pdf

It looks to be a rough idea instead of what it'll exactly look like. I've been looking for schematics or final plans myself.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

See page 26: http://www.downtowntirz.org/images/150205_Allen_Parkway_Public_Meeting_Final.pdf

It looks to be a rough idea instead of what it'll exactly look like. I've been looking for schematics or final plans myself.

Looks to be about what I envisioned. Looks like they'll first merge the Allen Parkway and Houston Ave exits to I-45 South and then have it gradually merge onto I-45 itself. They added a lot of concrete barriers along the mainlanes now and have extended the exit lane. Wasn't sure if that's temporary or not. I'll see if I can get a picture of it from the Dallas St bridge.

On 7/11/2016 at 10:27 AM, Triton said:

Looks to be about what I envisioned. Looks like they'll first merge the Allen Parkway and Houston Ave exits to I-45 South and then have it gradually merge onto I-45 itself. They added a lot of concrete barriers along the mainlanes now and have extended the exit lane. Wasn't sure if that's temporary or not. I'll see if I can get a picture of it from the Dallas St bridge.

27994815580_187900103f_h.jpg

I-45 South Construction by Marc longoria, on Flickr

27994807660_016e0627c4_h.jpg

I-45 South Construction by Marc longoria, on Flickr

• Like 1

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/I-45-southbound-exits-to-Dallas-Pierce-reopening-9186686.php?t=ee0ed98f7d438d9cbb&cmpid=reddit-premium#photo-9579028

A major downtown freeway exit is expected to open this weekend after being out of service for nearly two months, sending commuters scrambling for options.

The southbound Interstate 45 exit to Dallas and Pierce streets will open sometime this weekend, possibly Saturday afternoon, said Danny Perez, spokesman for the Texas Department of Transportation’s Houston office.

• Like 1

I'm so glad, this was my way home since they started working on Hwy 225  back in May and created a huge bottleneck near the Shell refinery. I started going home on IH 10 west to 45 S and to the Bagby exit but this construction forced me to 59/69 to McGowan exit and that is horrible. Glad to have it back.

Workers expect to finish all but minor, cosmetic and landscaping issues related to rebuilding Allen by Sept. 26

Read in another article that the parking will be metered. I'm ok with that (but I'm biassed because I'm walking distance!)

I think they will be in high demand and it will be good to limit it, though I'm sure many will find the max time limit annoying.

$1 for 3 hours really isn't bad.  I suspect they are doing this so people don't pay the $1 and walk/skateboard/bike/whatever to their job downtown instead of paying $10+ for downtown parking, preventing anyone else from parking there all day.

• Like 4

Yea that was definitely NOT open yesterday. All the barriers were still up and my stupid self hopped the curb because I saw a car in front of me do the samething thinking that was perhaps an entrance. Was a smooth curb but still a curb none the less. Anyway, me and a few others were stuck behind the barriers at the exit and someone had to move the giant cone out of the way to allow traffic to leave. The real entrances are still blocked off.

And yes, they will be metered. They have signs everywhere that they will be metered on the weekends too.

it's a weird choice to meter when there's a huge free lot over behind sawyer lofts. Guess people will pay that dollar so they don't have to walk very far so they can jog.

Edited by samagon

3 minutes ago, samagon said:

it's a weird choice to meter when there's a huge free lot over behind sawyer lofts. Guess people will pay that dollar so they don't have to walk very far so they can jog.

It's also more heavily trafficked and out in the open, which suggests less of a crime threat.

That large city lot also has pay booths at the entrances, so it doesn't particularly look like it's available for free public parking.

On 10/3/2016 at 10:13 AM, Triton said:

Yea that was definitely NOT open yesterday. All the barriers were still up and my stupid self hopped the curb because I saw a car in front of me do the samething thinking that was perhaps an entrance. Was a smooth curb but still a curb none the less. Anyway, me and a few others were stuck behind the barriers at the exit and someone had to move the giant cone out of the way to allow traffic to leave. The real entrances are still blocked off.

And yes, they will be metered. They have signs everywhere that they will be metered on the weekends too.

Looks like they closed off the curbed driveway that I accidentally drove on. Still closed as of this weekend with even more barriers now. Guess they are waiting for the meters before they officially open it.

On 10/10/2016 at 9:50 AM, samagon said:

Are you talking about the Target et al parking lot?  What's the best bike route to go from there to Buffalo Bayou Park?  Just got a new urban assault bike and am itching to ride the Heights and Buffalo Bayou trails.

3 minutes ago, august948 said:

Are you talking about the Target et al parking lot?  What's the best bike route to go from there to Buffalo Bayou Park?  Just got a new urban assault bike and am itching to ride the Heights and Buffalo Bayou trails.

there's a parking lot bounded by Sabine street, Memorial, and Houston ave.

31 minutes ago, samagon said:

there's a parking lot bounded by Sabine street, Memorial, and Houston ave.

Yeah, but you said Sawyer Lofts. I think you meant the Marquis Lofts on Sabine, formerly known as Sabine Street Lofts.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kylejack said:

Yeah, but you said Sawyer Lofts. I think you meant the Marquis Lofts on Sabine, formerly known as Sabine Street Lofts.

Hey Kyle, when's the deadline on getting in those emails for the bike plan?

1 hour ago, kylejack said:

ugh, you're right. I totally meant Sabine lofts.

Just now, samagon said:

ugh, you're right. I totally meant Sabine lofts.

Good deal.  I know where you're talking about now.  Thanks for the info.  Do the Buffalo Bayou and Heights trails connect at some point?

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Good deal.  I know where you're talking about now.  Thanks for the info.  Do the Buffalo Bayou and Heights trails connect at some point?

Not directly that I'm aware of....they come close at UHD

There's a new construction project to connect White Oak and Buffalo Bayou trails at UHD. It's currently underway, just broke ground a few weeks ago, as well as one to add the Castillo Center to White Oak Trail. For now you can take Girard to the sidewalks along Travis to get between the trails.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 4

On 10/12/2016 at 11:31 PM, kylejack said:

There's a new construction project to connect White Oak and Buffalo Bayou trails at UHD. It's currently underway, just broke ground a few weeks ago, as well as one to add the Castillo Center to White Oak Trail. For now you can take Girard to the sidewalks along Travis to get between the trails.

Is this it - this is going on right behind UHD and the Heights Bike trail

29688657434_3efbd5e348_z.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/14/2016 at 8:43 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Is this it - this is going on right behind UHD and the Heights Bike trail

29688657434_3efbd5e348_z.jpg

Yes, that's part of what they're doing right now... but the connection to the Buffalo Bayou trail will be on the opposite bank. Also note the Castillo Center connection that they're almost done with at the top of this map.

CmIeZU3UkAA56qA.jpg

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 2

Parking spaces on Allen Parkway are open. I drove by this weekend and open spaces were very few. They were having the KBR kids festival, so that probably had a lot to do with it. 

5 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Parking spaces on Allen Parkway are open. I drove by this weekend and open spaces were very few. They were having the KBR kids festival, so that probably had a lot to do with it. 

So the barriers are actually removed this time?

1 hour ago, Triton said:

So the barriers are actually removed this time?

I rode my bike through - some of the barriers were moved, but I don't think they were "officially" moved....they appeared to be just moved out of the way

The meters weren't in place yet either....

Yea it's still definitely closed... looks like someone just crashed into the barrels and then decided to park there. I imagine this won't officially open until the meters are fully operational.