Jump to content

Improvements Coming To Allen Parkway


Urbannizer

Recommended Posts

I'm wondering if it was the Buffalo Bayou Partnership that drove the move, or Free Press? From what I read last year, most saw NRG as a success and it was at capacity. Would it be cheaper there, so they did a bait and switch again? Or was it due to safety concerns? Half of the ACLs of late have been mud fests.

Or did the folks on the Buffalo Bayou side push them out? Not sure we'll ever know.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Light at Gillette is flashing red as of yesterday. Should be active soon.

They are bulldozing the old westbound lanes around there, redoing it for the new parking lane. Will be interesting to see what state it is all in for the July 4th celebrations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

 

So is the entire ramp being demolished & rebuilt? Has anyone seen the plans as to how lanes/exits/entrances will be arranged? 

See page 26: http://www.downtowntirz.org/images/150205_Allen_Parkway_Public_Meeting_Final.pdf

 

It looks to be a rough idea instead of what it'll exactly look like. I've been looking for schematics or final plans myself.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

See page 26: http://www.downtowntirz.org/images/150205_Allen_Parkway_Public_Meeting_Final.pdf

 

It looks to be a rough idea instead of what it'll exactly look like. I've been looking for schematics or final plans myself.

Looks to be about what I envisioned. Looks like they'll first merge the Allen Parkway and Houston Ave exits to I-45 South and then have it gradually merge onto I-45 itself. They added a lot of concrete barriers along the mainlanes now and have extended the exit lane. Wasn't sure if that's temporary or not. I'll see if I can get a picture of it from the Dallas St bridge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2016 at 10:27 AM, Triton said:

Looks to be about what I envisioned. Looks like they'll first merge the Allen Parkway and Houston Ave exits to I-45 South and then have it gradually merge onto I-45 itself. They added a lot of concrete barriers along the mainlanes now and have extended the exit lane. Wasn't sure if that's temporary or not. I'll see if I can get a picture of it from the Dallas St bridge.

 

27994815580_187900103f_h.jpg

I-45 South Construction by Marc longoria, on Flickr

 

27994807660_016e0627c4_h.jpg

I-45 South Construction by Marc longoria, on Flickr

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/I-45-southbound-exits-to-Dallas-Pierce-reopening-9186686.php?t=ee0ed98f7d438d9cbb&cmpid=reddit-premium#photo-9579028

 

Quote

A major downtown freeway exit is expected to open this weekend after being out of service for nearly two months, sending commuters scrambling for options.

The southbound Interstate 45 exit to Dallas and Pierce streets will open sometime this weekend, possibly Saturday afternoon, said Danny Perez, spokesman for the Texas Department of Transportation’s Houston office.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so glad, this was my way home since they started working on Hwy 225  back in May and created a huge bottleneck near the Shell refinery. I started going home on IH 10 west to 45 S and to the Bagby exit but this construction forced me to 59/69 to McGowan exit and that is horrible. Glad to have it back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Quote

Workers expect to finish all but minor, cosmetic and landscaping issues related to rebuilding Allen by Sept. 26

 

Read in another article that the parking will be metered. I'm ok with that (but I'm biassed because I'm walking distance!)

I think they will be in high demand and it will be good to limit it, though I'm sure many will find the max time limit annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yea that was definitely NOT open yesterday. All the barriers were still up and my stupid self hopped the curb because I saw a car in front of me do the samething thinking that was perhaps an entrance. Was a smooth curb but still a curb none the less. Anyway, me and a few others were stuck behind the barriers at the exit and someone had to move the giant cone out of the way to allow traffic to leave. The real entrances are still blocked off.

 

And yes, they will be metered. They have signs everywhere that they will be metered on the weekends too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, samagon said:

it's a weird choice to meter when there's a huge free lot over behind sawyer lofts. Guess people will pay that dollar so they don't have to walk very far so they can jog.

 

It's also more heavily trafficked and out in the open, which suggests less of a crime threat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2016 at 10:13 AM, Triton said:

Yea that was definitely NOT open yesterday. All the barriers were still up and my stupid self hopped the curb because I saw a car in front of me do the samething thinking that was perhaps an entrance. Was a smooth curb but still a curb none the less. Anyway, me and a few others were stuck behind the barriers at the exit and someone had to move the giant cone out of the way to allow traffic to leave. The real entrances are still blocked off.

 

And yes, they will be metered. They have signs everywhere that they will be metered on the weekends too.

 

Looks like they closed off the curbed driveway that I accidentally drove on. Still closed as of this weekend with even more barriers now. Guess they are waiting for the meters before they officially open it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2016 at 9:50 AM, samagon said:

it's a weird choice to meter when there's a huge free lot over behind sawyer lofts. Guess people will pay that dollar so they don't have to walk very far so they can jog.

 

Are you talking about the Target et al parking lot?  What's the best bike route to go from there to Buffalo Bayou Park?  Just got a new urban assault bike and am itching to ride the Heights and Buffalo Bayou trails.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, august948 said:

 

Are you talking about the Target et al parking lot?  What's the best bike route to go from there to Buffalo Bayou Park?  Just got a new urban assault bike and am itching to ride the Heights and Buffalo Bayou trails.

 

there's a parking lot bounded by Sabine street, Memorial, and Houston ave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, kylejack said:

 

Yeah, but you said Sawyer Lofts. I think you meant the Marquis Lofts on Sabine, formerly known as Sabine Street Lofts.

Hey Kyle, when's the deadline on getting in those emails for the bike plan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a new construction project to connect White Oak and Buffalo Bayou trails at UHD. It's currently underway, just broke ground a few weeks ago, as well as one to add the Castillo Center to White Oak Trail. For now you can take Girard to the sidewalks along Travis to get between the trails.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2016 at 11:31 PM, kylejack said:

There's a new construction project to connect White Oak and Buffalo Bayou trails at UHD. It's currently underway, just broke ground a few weeks ago, as well as one to add the Castillo Center to White Oak Trail. For now you can take Girard to the sidewalks along Travis to get between the trails.

Is this it - this is going on right behind UHD and the Heights Bike trail

29688657434_3efbd5e348_z.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2016 at 8:43 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Is this it - this is going on right behind UHD and the Heights Bike trail

29688657434_3efbd5e348_z.jpg

 


Yes, that's part of what they're doing right now... but the connection to the Buffalo Bayou trail will be on the opposite bank. Also note the Castillo Center connection that they're almost done with at the top of this map.

 

CmIeZU3UkAA56qA.jpg

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Parking spaces on Allen Parkway are open. I drove by this weekend and open spaces were very few. They were having the KBR kids festival, so that probably had a lot to do with it. 

So the barriers are actually removed this time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Improvements Coming To Allen Parkway

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...