Improvements Coming To Allen Parkway

Urbannizer

Depends on where the money's coming from. Memorial's also 50 mph in the middle of an urbanized area - that's plenty fast enough for its purposes.

The road is really terrible at some sections, with high bumps in lots of places. driving at 60 there made me nervous. 

I don't know how much time does it take to repair memorial with a full closure, but they should really repair it...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The road is really terrible at some sections, with high bumps in lots of places. driving at 60 there made me nervous

I don't know how much time does it take to repair memorial with a full closure, but they should really repair it...

if the speed limit were 60, then it would be a problem. The speed limit's 50 so you should try going 50.

to be honest, I've never really noticed the dips and potholes until it's raining and water pools in the lanes. I really only use memorial once a week from waugh to downtown, maybe the worst of it is outbound, or between shepherd and waugh? then again, I also typically go the posted limit. 

as someone posted above, if you're habitually late, plan your day differently, don't speed.

I say this with all respect, but who cares if travel time increases? This city has bottle fed motorists for so long that we worry about travels times on Allen Parkway. People speed up and down that road and completely ignore pedestrians. If travel time is an issue, I have an answer, wake up earlier. Cities are built on people, not cars, and it's about time this road was dedicated to the safety of people trying to cross it. 

I don't disagree. I just don't like that they tried to sell this off as "no impact" (or 30 seconds or whatever they had) to travel time. I think the plan is a great one, and in the end that function of the road will change and in a few years people won't care.

And about drivers ignoring pedestrians, when you are on a parkway with no crosswalks and no signals, there should not be pedestrians. Long ago the city should have added several ped bridges, or made it a 'street' with crosswalks and signals. They chose the latter, probably to add the parking more than for the true pedestrians.

if the speed limit were 60, then it would be a problem. The speed limit's 50 so you should try going 50.

to be honest, I've never really noticed the dips and potholes until it's raining and water pools in the lanes. I really only use memorial once a week from waugh to downtown, maybe the worst of it is outbound, or between shepherd and waugh? then again, I also typically go the posted limit. 

as someone posted above, if you're habitually late, plan your day differently, don't speed.

I think there are definately some spots where the bumps are pretty bad at 50, if you have a low profile car with stiff shocks. If I remember correctly the worst of it is west of Waugh (between Shepard and Waugh) so you may miss it.

I think there are definately some spots where the bumps are pretty bad at 50, if you have a low profile car with stiff shocks. If I remember correctly the worst of it is west of Waugh (between Shepard and Waugh) so you may miss it.

m e h - I've always had low profile cars with stiff shocks (when I wasn't driving an F100 or F150). 

It only took them about 30 or 40 years to smooth out the abrupt crown eastbound, leveling out after coming under Shepherd.  I remember as a kid all of us going into the air in the back of the station wagon* every time we went over it on the way to the grandparents'.  Trust me, my dad was not going over 50.

*  dang near a duplicate, except ours was blue over solid blue vinyl, and had factory air (thank you, Marcus Jones Buick salesman, whoever you were) and no carpet (the better to hose out after the kids).

So they're going to waste millions adding an entrance to a freeway that won't exist in a few years? Why not just remove the entrance.

I mean there won't be any access to 45 south from memorial or Allen parkway when they realign 45 anyway, better that people start getting used to it now.

It might even last longer - which will they do first, the downtown segments or the 45N segments?  And won't they be keeping the Pierce elevated until the 59 trench is widened?

I'm just saying this ramp will be around for a while

I'm not saying to leave it like it is.

What I'm saying is it would be infinitely cheaper to toss some permanent barriers in front of the entrance, take down the signs and respray the freeway merge. Remove the entrance entirely. Done, finished. Move on.

Assuming the project to realign 45 goes through there will be no SB entrance to 45 from either Allen Parkway or Memorial, may as well just do it now and get that part over with. In the short term, there's still the Memorial entrance that people can get over to just as easily.

If for whatever reason the realignment project doesn't get approved, then you spend the 3.6 million to put the entrance back in. It's just a stupid waste to spend that money now.

So I understand that to us, the not 1%, 3.6 million seems like a lot of money. But they're doing this project now, instead of closing off a needed entrance. When they do tear everything down, this $3.6 million is only 0.06% of the estimated $6,000,000,000 project, which will most likely increase in cost.

So it's not that big of a deal in the long term.

but that 3.6 million is coming from a different pocket than the 6 billion to rebuild 45, which means that it could be used to rebuild other areas in far greater need that will be serviced for far longer.

rebuild something that will get 30+ years of life for more people.

or

Realign entrance from allen parkway to 45 entrance ramp, get 5-15 years of use for thousands of people each day, that would otherwise have to drive an extra minute to get to memorial and potentially sit through a traffic light to get on the freeway.

that's how I'm looking at it.

People will probably want to hold on before talking about the design here. I've been told that we can expect a lot of revisions based on the previous TXDOT meeting that was held.

I would imagine you are talking about the area closer to 45?

Design of what exactly?

The design of how all these ramps will work together here and how Houston Ave and Allen Parkway will wind their way around. There have been revisions to the design in general... I have not seen the schematic yet but someone who has seen it in detail told me there are definitely changes coming. A teaser of that detail was posted in the I-45 thread by me.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The new east bound lanes (former frontage) from Taft to downtown are paved and painted. They have also started to put up the traffic light infrastructure at Gillette. Looks like they are working on the new median now. I assume they will be routing traffic on those new lanes soon so they can work on the new west bound lanes.

This morning there was a lot of work on the former (future east bound main lanes) frontage from Montrose to Taft, this section is a little behind relative to east of Taft.

Last Friday (2/12) the new eastbound main lanes were open. Completely done and clean from Taft to downtown, between Montrose and Taft there is still some construction on those new lanes. They are working on the new median and future westbound lanes now.

As far as the 45S connector, haven't seen any signs of construction. But there is a lot of stuff going on at their staging area on Heiner street, so I may have missed signs of activity.

Archived