Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

Improvements Coming to Allen Parkway

It might even last longer - which will they do first, the downtown segments or the 45N segments?  And won't they be keeping the Pierce elevated until the 59 trench is widened?

I'm just saying this ramp will be around for a while

I'm not saying to leave it like it is.

What I'm saying is it would be infinitely cheaper to toss some permanent barriers in front of the entrance, take down the signs and respray the freeway merge. Remove the entrance entirely. Done, finished. Move on.

Assuming the project to realign 45 goes through there will be no SB entrance to 45 from either Allen Parkway or Memorial, may as well just do it now and get that part over with. In the short term, there's still the Memorial entrance that people can get over to just as easily.

If for whatever reason the realignment project doesn't get approved, then you spend the 3.6 million to put the entrance back in. It's just a stupid waste to spend that money now.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

So I understand that to us, the not 1%, 3.6 million seems like a lot of money. But they're doing this project now, instead of closing off a needed entrance. When they do tear everything down, this $3.6 million is only 0.06% of the estimated $6,000,000,000 project, which will most likely increase in cost.

So it's not that big of a deal in the long term.

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 1

but that 3.6 million is coming from a different pocket than the 6 billion to rebuild 45, which means that it could be used to rebuild other areas in far greater need that will be serviced for far longer.

rebuild something that will get 30+ years of life for more people.

or

Realign entrance from allen parkway to 45 entrance ramp, get 5-15 years of use for thousands of people each day, that would otherwise have to drive an extra minute to get to memorial and potentially sit through a traffic light to get on the freeway.

that's how I'm looking at it.

Edited by samagon

People will probably want to hold on before talking about the design here. I've been told that we can expect a lot of revisions based on the previous TXDOT meeting that was held.

• Like 1

People will probably want to hold on before talking about the design here. I've been told that we can expect a lot of revisions based on the previous TXDOT meeting that was held.

Design of what exactly?

I would imagine you are talking about the area closer to 45?

• Like 1

Design of what exactly?

The design of how all these ramps will work together here and how Houston Ave and Allen Parkway will wind their way around. There have been revisions to the design in general... I have not seen the schematic yet but someone who has seen it in detail told me there are definitely changes coming. A teaser of that detail was posted in the I-45 thread by me.

• Like 1

They have started putting up the lights at Allen and Dunlavy.

East of Taft, there has been a lot of work on the former frontage road

post-376-0-83801200-1450723568_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The new east bound lanes (former frontage) from Taft to downtown are paved and painted. They have also started to put up the traffic light infrastructure at Gillette. Looks like they are working on the new median now. I assume they will be routing traffic on those new lanes soon so they can work on the new west bound lanes.

This morning there was a lot of work on the former (future east bound main lanes) frontage from Montrose to Taft, this section is a little behind relative to east of Taft.

• Like 1

Last Friday (2/12) the new eastbound main lanes were open. Completely done and clean from Taft to downtown, between Montrose and Taft there is still some construction on those new lanes. They are working on the new median and future westbound lanes now.

As far as the 45S connector, haven't seen any signs of construction. But there is a lot of stuff going on at their staging area on Heiner street, so I may have missed signs of activity.

• Like 1

The construction barriers make me think of a race track...

yup. i think of it as a race track every morning. which is not safe, since people can now turn on to the main lanes from Gillette. The posted speed limit is 30 but everyone is still treating like they did before (40-45). Yes i'm guilty too... but its just too fun!

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Allen-Parkway-work-will-take-a-summer-break-6878566.php

Work is slightly behind initial estimates and won't be finished by late May as expected for an $11 million rehab of Allen Parkway meant to slow traffic and open up access to Eleanor Tinsley Park and Buffalo Bayou trails. New eastbound lanes headed to downtown opened in mid-February, said Lonnie Hoogeboom, director of planning and design for the Houston Downtown Redevelopment Authority.

When finished, the project will add 141 parking spaces along the bayou.

Work has been slowed, Hoogeboom said, by unexpected underground conditions - a common problem with Houston road projects.

1200x1240.jpg

• Like 7

Another great job of reporting by the Chronicle.  (and yes, I'm being sarastic)    The sub-headline says the project now has a "year-end completion date".  The article says the project will now be completed in September.

The Dunlavy signals came online yesterday. I was terrified of being rear-ended this morning going eastbound. You can't really see the light until you round a curve and are almost on top of it. 

i had assumed they would add a "signal ahead" flashing indicator eastbound because of that curve. hopefully they figure it out before something catastrophic happens.

Heading westbound the light also sneaks up on you. Yesterday afternoon I thought to myself "someone is going to run this light" and as if on cue a young man in a motorcycle flew through the red light going at least 40. 

"Signal Ahead" flashers are absolutely necessary. I may switch to Memorial for the time being. 

The optimist in me says the signs are coming and were just delayed by the floods.

At the very least, people are starting to realize Allen Parkway isn't Little Katy Freeway anymore and aren't speeding quite as much as they were even last week.

to be fair, if I drove that section of road every day for years, and then sudenly, traffic signal, I'd probably blow through it a time or two as well until my mind remembered it's time to pay attention to a traffic signal at the location. 

Do you think they will meter the parking on Allen Parkway and at The Dunlavy?  The parking is always full now as everyone takes their own car instead is either carpooling, biking etc.  And there's no incentive to not leave your car there all day. 

With Free Press Summer Fest coming up in 3 weeks this construction is going to create a huge mess in the flow of music patrons, I wonder how they will alleviate this? Will they use the stage on the cistern as one of the possible 5/6 stages?

2 minutes ago, hindesky said:

With Free Press Summer Fest coming up in 3 weeks this construction is going to create a huge mess in the flow of music patrons, I wonder how they will alleviate this? Will they use the stage on the cistern as one of the possible 5/6 stages?

Will it?  I have been to Free Press a couple of years ago, I am uncertain how this construction would create a "huge mess" for the flow of patrons.  Some of the stages may need to be repositioned a bit perhaps but, while you may be correct, I don't currently share your view.  

They still have the street dividers up on the the northern part of the construction it will make for a very narrow area for the vendors and their customers. When they did the Jeep exhibit a few years ago it made walking from the eastern portion to the west very constricted.

I agree there is potential for several bottlenecks that will hinder the flow of festival goers moving from stage to stage. 2 years ago they seemed to have finally gotten it right leaving enough room between the stages and beer/food vendors. This caused them to elongate the festival a bit.

It will probably depend on how much of the north side of Allen they will be able to use, but even at its current state I think it can be worked out if its laid out properly.

The westbound lanes (formerly the eastbound lanes) opened yesterday afternoon!

Just a few feet's difference dramatically changes your view of things like the Federal Reserve. I'd take a pic, but, y'know, driving.

• Like 2

Yep, shaved about 3 minutes off my commute this morning. Glad to have that left turn back, along with the new signalized crosswalk to the park!

With this wrapping up (not including the parking yet), I don't see this being any issue for FPSF.

today the intersection at taft fully opened (you can take a left from westbound Allen to Taft and a right from Taft to go westbound). Gillette light and crosswalk are next i assume.

I was interesting to see that there isn't a light at Gillette for the new 'parking lane'. But there is a left turn signal from eastbound Allen at Gillette and an opening to get to the parking lane. Is that parking area going to be so slow its just a yield with no light?

Oh wow... looks like they are just using the original road and converting it into parking? Didn't realize that was the plan.

2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

@Triton Here's the proposed lane plan

Thanks. What I meant though is that it looks like they are just using the actual original Allen Parkway westbound lanes and are going to convert them. My impression was, they would dig it all up and build brand new parking areas. It's probably cheaper though just to repaint. Perhaps they are just waiting for FPSF to dig it all up but it honestly looks like they integrated the new lanes with the old asphalt.

• Like 1

Every time I see the orange/white barricades I think Allen Parkway is about to be the host of some F1 or Indy car action.

• Like 2

Very disappointing to wake up to this announcement:

FREE PRESS SUMMER FESTIVAL 2016 TO RELOCATE TO NRG PARK AFTER STORMS SATURATE ELEANOR TINSLEY PARK  

FESTIVAL WILL GO ON AS PLANNED JUNE 4 AND 5

Rode the bayou today, the grass and everything is fine. Just took rain and drained like its designed to. Allen Parkway is looking good, they are making progress.

So pissed about this. Going to try to sell my tickets and go to ACL instead.

Not good at all. Two times in the recent past. NRG park is a nightmare. Overpriced parking. Excessive heat. No downtown backdrop. No trees or grass or bayou. I bought tickets early because I liked this year's lineup but I went the first time they moved it to NRG. Wont make that mistake again.

• Like 1