Ladies & gentlemen, tomorrow is inauguration day for Greg Abbott [R] as TX's 48th Governor & Dan Patrick [R] as the state's 42nd Lieutenant Governor, both being sworn into office at the State Capitol steps. Afterwards, a BBQ luncheon as well as an inaugural parade (first parade since 2003) & finally: the inaugural ball at the Austin Convention Center later Tuesday night.

http://abc13.com/live/

http://kxan.com/live-stream/

What's everyone's thoughts on Abbott as his family moves into the Governor's Mansion?

Edited by Blue Dogs

No thoughts on Mr. Abbott, however, with respect to Mr. Patrick (nee Goeb), I would expect his tenure as Lieutenant Governor to end as many of his other enterprises have ended, in a debacle.

His first appearance in Houston, as a television sportscaster was greeted by everyone I knew, with disdain. He lasted only a short time in that capacity. His next venture, a string of sports bars, ended in 1986 with a bankruptcy and his attempted suicide. Since that time he has found his niche as a conservative commentator, a vocation for which he does seem well qualified, a bombastic personality coupled with a meager grasp of fact and an utter contempt for truth.

Given these characteristics, I would expect that he would rely on his aides to do the actual work of Lieutenant Governor (the most powerful position in the Texas government) and they will, I fear, at some point use their position to enrich themselves, leaving Mr. Patrick to bear the consequences.

JMO

• Like 1

No thoughts on Mr. Abbott, however, with respect to Mr. Patrick (nee Goeb), I would expect his tenure as Lieutenant Governor to end as many of his other enterprises have ended, in a debacle.

His first appearance in Houston, as a television sportscaster was greeted by everyone I knew, with disdain. He lasted only a short time in that capacity. His next venture, a string of sports bars, ended in 1986 with a bankruptcy and his attempted suicide. Since that time he has found his niche as a conservative commentator, a vocation for which he does seem well qualified, a bombastic personality coupled with a meager grasp of fact and an utter contempt for truth.

Given these characteristics, I would expect that he would rely on his aides to do the actual work of Lieutenant Governor (the most powerful position in the Texas government) and they will, I fear, at some point use their position to enrich themselves, leaving Mr. Patrick to bear the consequences.

JMO

You're thinking major scandal will bring him down. We'll see how it goes for the next 4 years!

I wouldn't go so far as to say the next four years, however, Mr. Patrick's history seems to indicate that he may find governing to be a less engaging activity than rabble rousing (his real area of expertise) and that is a situation in which a politician may well find himself in hot water not entirely of his own creation, e.g. the late Presidency of Mr. G.W. Bush and his eminence grise Mr. Cheney.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the next four years, however, Mr. Patrick's history seems to indicate that he may find governing to be a less engaging activity than rabble rousing (his real area of expertise) and that is a situation in which a politician may well find himself in hot water not entirely of his own creation, e.g. the late Presidency of Mr. G.W. Bush and his eminence grise Mr. Cheney.

Interesting to see how Patrick handles governing because he's already pissed off the 11 Democrats in the TX State Senate by only giving them just 2 out of 14 committee chairmanships (they went from 18 to 14).