MD Anderson T. Boone Pickens Academic Tower At 1400 Pressler St.

Lectro

• 2 weeks later...
Sugar Land-esque is exactly the right term.  :lol:

The Shamrock was plain, but that was the fashion when it was built.  More important than the style was that it was perhaps the only true landmark building that Houston had until the Astrodome was built.  The AIA referred to the Medical Center's demolition of the Shamrock as "civic vandalism", which is also exactly the right term.

Frank LLoyd Wright accepted the AIA gold medal at the Shamrock in 1949. Upon arriving for the ceremony he commented, " I see the sham, where's the rock?" Thank who-ever for tearing down one of the most grotesque pieces of architecture ever built anywhere.

Frank LLoyd Wright accepted the AIA gold medal at the Shamrock in 1949. Upon arriving for the ceremony he commented, " I see the sham, where's the rock?" Thank who-ever for tearing down one of the most grotesque pieces of architecture ever built anywhere.

You have to be kidding me, "one of the most grotesque pieces of architecture ever built anywhere". I mean it wasn't the prettiest building in the world, but I kind of liked it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have to admit though I am not a fan of alot of Wright's work. There is some I like though.

• 1 month later...
Here is a rendering of the 22 story Outpatient Care Center to start in early 2006. I think it will be a different design that we usually do not see in the med center. although this is not a detailed rendering.

img_large_1_project_50.jpg

It will replace this:

05oct27a-1.jpg

Does anyone here think that TMC and DT Houston will ever grow into each other or connect?

If Midtown keeps developing the rate that it is, it may very well end up in the next 20 years looking like one huge architectual dynasty, similar to a New York or Chicago from afar.

But I think it all depends on the Midtown area.

Well they could never totally grow into each other because of the musuem district and Herman park, right? I might be geographically confused.

It technically could, not going straight down Main or Fannin, because of Hermann Park, but it could swing around in Montrose, or south along 288, and reach the Medical Center. That would be cool to be in Hermann Park, surrounded by High-rises...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
I would like to see the Medical Center be more than just a medical center. They should add retail and residence (highrises). Isin't METRO building some kind of retail place along the rail line.

My understanding was that since part of Hermann's bequest to the people of Houston was in turn donated for the Medical Center to expand its work, most of the Med Center's territory isn't eligible for private uses. It's true that most serious hospital districts in America (if there *are* true hospital districts in any other cities to be contrasted to) are basically monocultures, but in Houston the market pressure would certainly lead to residential towers among the other land use. The lack of this detracts from the Med Center realizing its urban potential as we can picture it, but, for ethical reasons, the land's origins and the place's mission - correct me if I'm wrong about that - it's better this way, analogously to Houston Guy's powerful Post #27

• Like 1

My understanding was that since part of Hermann's bequest to the people of Houston was in turn donated for the Medical Center to expand its work, most of the Med Center's territory isn't eligible for private uses. It's true that most serious hospital districts in America (if there *are* true hospital districts in any other cities to be contrasted to) are basically monocultures, but in Houston the market pressure would certainly lead to residential towers among the other land use. The lack of this detracts from the Med Center realizing its urban potential as we can picture it, but, for ethical reasons, the land's origins and the place's mission - correct me if I'm wrong about that - it's better this way, analogously to Houston Guy's powerful Post #27

What are the areas immediately outside the TMC like?

Mostly residential?

• Like 1

What are the areas immediately outside the TMC like?

Mostly residential?

It's mostly single family residential. Very high dollar stuff. There may be deed restrictions keeping some of it from being developed into high rise... but I think if you wanted to buy some land for high rises immediately adjacent to the TMC, if you had enough money, you could find a plot.

There is one residential unit on the TMC campus; the Favrot Towers. It's basically one step above a dormitory for residents, post-docs, etc. Limited to TMC professionals and students. (it's very expensive for the size of the units.)

There are a number of high rises in the area (1400 Hermann, Park Lane, Warwick Towers, Museum Tower, Mosaic), but only one immediately adjacent to the TMC (The Spires.)

All of the multifamily residential is South of Braeswood.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what about the Marriott Hotel right in the middle of the Medical Center?

• Like 1

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what about the Marriott Hotel right in the middle of the Medical Center?

There's the TMC proper, which is governed by the old deed restrictions that only non-profits can exist there, and then there is the greater TMC area, much of which captures institutional overflow from the TMC proper so as to blur the lines.

The Marriott is not in the TMC proper.

There's the TMC proper, which is governed by the old deed restrictions that only non-profits can exist there, and then there is the greater TMC area, much of which captures institutional overflow from the TMC proper so as to blur the lines.

The Marriott is not in the TMC proper.

What are the boundaries of the TMC proper?

In any event, what you are saying then, is that the deed restrictions are probably not the main driver in keeping out non-medical development, since, apparently, they only apply to a portion of the TMC.

But more importantly, after a brief bit of research, it appears that none of this is true. The original site for the Texas Medical Center were sold by the City of Houston to TMC, not donated. Furthermore, and more importantly, the property sold to the TMC had originally been purchased from Will Hogg. It was not part of the property donated to the City by Mr. Hermann.

http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/root/en/GetTo...dChronology.htm

http://www.georgekessler.org/index.php?opt...emid=79#medical

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/TT/kct23.html

http://www.georgekessler.org/index.php?opt...6&Itemid=79

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

What are the boundaries of the TMC proper?

In any event, what you are saying then, is that the deed restrictions are probably not the main driver in keeping out non-medical development, since, apparently, they only apply to a portion of the TMC.

They were shown in an old issue of Cite magazine; the authors of the article dubbed the strip between Main and Fannin the "Profit Zone". I think that the original bounds are approximately bounded by Hermann Park, Brays Bayou, and Fannin, but the southern boundary might be Holcombe. Not 100% on that.

Since that time, demand for land by institutions has been pretty heavy. And institutions tend not to necessarily be bound by what most people would consider to be financial sense, and they also have a lot of cash and extremely good credit, so they are 'preferred' buyers of land. They've gobbled up a good bit of land that had no nonprofit-only deed restrictions in and around the TMC, so that the TMC, Inc. has expanded its scope to governing anything at all that is owned by a non-profit member institution.

But more importantly, after a brief bit of research, it appears that none of this is true. The original site for the Texas Medical Center were sold by the City of Houston to TMC, not donated. Furthermore, and more importantly, the property sold to the TMC had originally been purchased from Will Hogg. It was not part of the property donated to the City by Mr. Hermann.

I'm not sure what you mean to say by all this.

They were shown in an old issue of Cite magazine; the authors of the article dubbed the strip between Main and Fannin the "Profit Zone". I think that the original bounds are approximately bounded by Hermann Park, Brays Bayou, and Fannin, but the southern boundary might be Holcombe. Not 100% on that.

Since that time, demand for land by institutions has been pretty heavy. And institutions tend not to necessarily be bound by what most people would consider to be financial sense, and they also have a lot of cash and extremely good credit, so they are 'preferred' buyers of land. They've gobbled up a good bit of land that had no nonprofit-only deed restrictions in and around the TMC, so that the TMC, Inc. has expanded its scope to governing anything at all that is owned by a non-profit member institution.

I'm not sure what you mean to say by all this.

I was saying that it appeared from what I found on the internet that deed restrictions restricting development of the TMC could not have arisen out of the donation by Mr. Hermann of land for Hermann Park. But I just found some more information that clarifies/corrects/confuses that. It seems that the original Hermann Park land donated by Mr. Hermann extended from Almeda Road on the east to a line along the projected route of LaBranch Street on the west, between what are now Hermann Drive on the north and Holcombe Boulevard on the south, so that would indeed include part of the Medical Center. However, at another time, the city purchased the 133 1/2 acre Parker tract south of the Hermann Hospital site and later (1943) the city sold that tract to the MD Anderson Foundation. Between 1945 and 1955 six new hospitals and two medical schools were built on the Hogg tract following a general plan devised between 1944 and 1945 by H.A. Kipp.

This is where I get confused. All this information is from an article written by Stephen Fox on the history of Hermann Park. The description of the original bounds of the Hermann property donated for the park seems to conflict with the description of the Hogg/Parker tract and also, the Fox article refers to the development of the Texas Medical Center on the Hogg tract, never saying anything at all about any of the original Hermann property being sold or given to the TMC.

Likewise, the TMC History on the TMC website references only the purchase of the single tract of land from the city (the Hogg tract, south and east of Hermann Hospital)

Bottom line, it appears that the Hermann "deed restrictions," if they exist, may not apply to any of the TMC. I'll keep looking for more detail about the Hermann tract and original medical center properties.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
It's a mixed bag. A lot of the older ones, like Hermann and the Medical Towers, are pretty nice, as is Pelli's St Lukes. As for MDACC, however, I would agree with editor. It's mediocre at best. Their insistance on cheap, generic architecture is why they are destroying the Prudential. The building could easily be renovated, but it would be cheaper just to demolish it and build some something forgettable. The same explanation applies to why they destroyed the Shamrock and replaced it with what must be one of the ugliest buildings at the Medical Center. In the back of my mind I keep thinking they get some sort of malicious pleasure from destroying meaningful buildings.

A neighbor who works at M.D. Anderson was walking his dog last night when I was out in the front yard, reading, and he confirmed that they still plan to demolish the Prudential Building by year's end. While it can be fitted out with renovations, they have a hold of the rationale that the ground under the structure is slowly subsiding.

• Like 1

...Bottom line, it appears that the Hermann "deed restrictions," if they exist, may not apply to any of the TMC. I'll keep looking for more detail about the Hermann tract and original medical center properties.

Hermann is on its own land, not TMC land. Simply, Hermann was there before the creation of the TMC. From what I understand, you are correct that TMC restrictions do not apply to Hermann.

Of course, this is strategically important. You may remember the battle that erupted between St. Lukes and TMC, Inc about 10 years ago over Luke's potential affiliation with for-profit Columbia/HCA. It is my understandinfg that if Memorial Hermann ever wanted to try some for-profit model in the TMC, they can. Whether they would is another issue, but it's nice to have that flexibility in strategic planning.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Yawn. Ugly building. Why not hire the architects that did the UT nursing school. It won a bunch of awards.

Can anyone explain the purpose of the florescent white lighting on top of the building? I interpret it to say that UTHSC can waste money on lighting that serves NO function, but only pollutes the tangent neighborhoods and increases cost to everyone's sick-care insurance. :wacko:

Can anyone explain the purpose of the florescent white lighting on top of the building? I interpret it to say that UTHSC can waste money on lighting that serves NO function, but only pollutes the tangent neighborhoods and increases cost to everyone's sick-care insurance. :wacko:

UTHSC and MD Anderson are separate entities... but, ya, the fluorescent box on top looks ugly and stupid. At least they could have used colored lighting like the Memorial Hermann professional building.

• 1 month later...
UTHSC and MD Anderson are separate entities... but, ya, the fluorescent box on top looks ugly and stupid. At least they could have used colored lighting like the Memorial Hermann professional building.

Well, that's exactly the point. It's an embarrassment at best, but it's absolutely *all* the designers had to offer the tangent neighborhoods, so harp on it enough and maybe you can keep hoping one day to make a sore thumb a "signature."

Cos you're sure not going to do anything else with it.

• Like 1