Houston19514

Petroleum Building (Great Southwest Building) to Become Cambria Hotel

Just now, Avossos said:

You’re forgetting a lot...

le merridein 

club quarters

that one near the alley theater (forgot name)

Felt like I was. That was where my brain decided to stop.

Just now, Nate99 said:

Felt like I was. That was where my brain decided to stop.

There are a couple additional buildings that I think would be great for high end hotels or condos...

building next to jw marriott 

harris county annex building / (newer) cotton exchange building 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

I count 8 hotels that are or will be using repurposed/rehabbed old buildings in downtown proper.

That's pretty cool.

Savoy Holiday Inn

Cambria

AC Hotel

Magnolia

Icon

JW Marriott

Hyatt Place

Courtyard Marriott/Homewood/Residence Inn

le Meridien

Club Quarters

Sam Houston

Westin (Inn @ the Ballpark)

The Lancaster

Aloft

If Savoy Holiday Inn is on the list, the Whitehall probably should be as well.

That's actually 17 hotels.

Just realized that with these 2 newest hotels, downtown will have, I think, 28 hotels.  Not so long ago, we had 4 hotels.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

There are a couple additional buildings that I think would be great for high end hotels or condos...

building next to jw marriott 

harris county annex building / (newer) cotton exchange building 

Agree with newer cotton exchange building. The building next to the JW is awkward... those long, horizontal windows don't seem very well suited for modern tastes .

6 minutes ago, downtownian said:

The building next to the JW is awkward... those long, horizontal windows don't seem very well suited for modern tastes .

I thought that it would have been great for meeting space for the JW.  It's also completely boxed in except for the narrow piece facing Main, so only the west facing bit gets windows, but it will mostly be shadowed by BG Place. 

It was a department store originally, not sure who that kind of layout might be a good fit for going forward.

Harris county annex building / (newer) cotton exchange building absolutely needs to be a high end hotel or something vibrant. Every time I'm driving down main it catches my eye and then I'm bummed it's a county office building.  The facade/ornamentation  reminds me of the historical buildings around downtown San Antonio. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I thought that it would have been great for meeting space for the JW.  It's also completely boxed in except for the narrow piece facing Main, so only the west facing bit gets windows, but it will mostly be shadowed by BG Place. 

It was a department store originally, not sure who that kind of layout might be a good fit for going forward.

One big problem would be access to elevators. Retail on the bottom floor is limited due to the needed access to elevators. My guess is the interior is extremely catered to a department store...

Offices (we-work or such perhaps) / Department store (hopes and dreams) / large scale condo units with a coffee shop downstairs

4 hours ago, Avossos said:

One big problem would be access to elevators. Retail on the bottom floor is limited due to the needed access to elevators. My guess is the interior is extremely catered to a department store...

Offices (we-work or such perhaps) / Department store (hopes and dreams) / large scale condo units with a coffee shop downstairs

How about an urban Target concept?  I think at it would be smashing there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

How about an urban Target concept?  I think at it would be smashing there.

I love the idea but anyone know where the loading docks for the building are?

That would be the only obstacle I would see to a major retailer taking hold there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

I love the idea but anyone know where the loading docks for the building are?

That would be the only obstacle I would see to a major retailer taking hold there. 

Unless there is some access point stashed inside the Jimmy John's garage or a passage through from the loading dock on Rusk that serves the 801 Travis building, I am not seeing where there could be one, but surely Battelstein's didn't just wheel everything in through the front door back in the day, right?

EDIT: Here's an article from 1999 talking about someone having loft-office ideas for the building back when the Jimmy John's garage was being planned.  Seems like those two developers were at least talking, and today, you can see the tunnel access point mentioned in the article between the garage and the JW Marriott. Maybe there is a walled off access point in there somewhere at street level.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/1999/10/18/newscolumn5.html

Edited by Nate99

On 1/8/2018 at 0:00 PM, Avossos said:

You’re forgetting a lot...

le merridein 

club quarters

that one near the alley theater (forgot name)

aloft too

• Like 1

The one in Dallas mentioned in the article appears to have opened about a week ago and is priced at about $111 a night.  This would seem to be pretty far towards the bottom of the scale.  Sucks if so for such a gorgeous building.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:00 AM, UtterlyUrban said:

With this being a hotel, any ideas or known plans on how they intend to handle guest parking?

rumor is they are going to find some 100 year old buildings to tear down for valet parking. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, kbates2 said:

The one in Dallas mentioned in the article appears to have opened about a week ago and is priced at about $111 a night.  This would seem to be pretty far towards the bottom of the scale.  Sucks if so for such a gorgeous building.

Hotel pricing is all over the place. Now, who knows what algorithm the cookies on my browser are spitting out, but Hotels.com is listing Club Quarters at $103. Not sure how comparable they are, I've never been inside CQ. 

22 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Hotel pricing is all over the place. Now, who knows what algorithm the cookies on my browser are spitting out, but Hotels.com is listing Club Quarters at $103. Not sure how comparable they are, I've never been inside CQ. 

CQ are designed for basic business travel.  I've stayed at three:

Financial District SF - modern clean decor, compact rooms

DT Boston - clean, comfortable, small rooms, fairly modern, clean decor

Center City Philly - larger rooms, but not very well-maintained

*all of them were in older/historic buildings...the one here is in an older building (I think). I'm not sure about the quality of the Houston CQ.

• Like 1

This project appears to be starting very soon. There are markings around the building for a hoist/gates etc. This morning I also spotted some fencing that was un-assembled.  Did we ever get additional information/renderings?

Great southwest building

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

This project appears to be starting very soon. There are markings around the building for a hoist/gates etc. This morning I also spotted some fencing that was un-assembled.  Did we ever get additional information/renderings?

Hey M,

You sure? The latest showed that there was no start date available for this.

I certainly hope this does get started!

So, while CAMBRIA and Choice Hotels in general do not have the brand recognition of other larger, upscale national brands, the Dallas Property doesn't look half bad.  Better than I was expecting for this property.   Check it...

https://www.choicehotels.com/texas/dallas/cambria-hotels/txi93?brand=BR&tapad_cookie_id=ee5f1311-479b-11e6-8fea-005056a23ccd&mc=smgogousbrl&cid=RLSA|Cambria|US|Texas|Exact|CPC|Desktop|EN|B_G&ag=US|TX|Dallas&pmf=GOOGLE&kw=cambria hotel dallas

To be honest, I didn't realize Cambria was a chain and I thought it was a play off it being the petroleum building

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Parking lot is fenced off and windows are coming out of the south side of the building.  Renovation looks to be under way!

85F31BA3-B97A-4F01-BFBF-8FB5E9A1B106.jpeg

This quarter has been crazy good!

On 4/10/2018 at 1:13 PM, urbanize713 said:

Great southwest building

For all those that doubted the chalk lines... see my post below. 

Edited by urbanize713

ADULT CONTENT

This content is for mature audiences only.

User discretion is advised.

What are you trying to show us @urbanize713?:o

• Haha 3

This will be a good project.  Hopefully, they tastefully merge the old and new (perhaps like the JW on main?) to create something entirely lovely.  I’m rooting for them.

• Like 2

Well, hopefully not like the JW on Main, since there is no remaining historic material on that building, but otherwise I agree.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, ArtieFufkin said:

Yesterday the Archaeological and Historical Commission denied the developer's request to replace the current Great Southwest Sign with this one:

1314-texas.thumb.jpg.2fe7545aa2302817b09e308082b2774a.jpg

Which would've been lit up at night like this:

1314-texas-night.jpg.278aee0083edc74083c4d1ea34cfc975.jpg

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/docs_pdfs/hahc/App_Materials_2018/june/1314_Texas_Alt_Sign_DRAFT.pdf

Good for them. It's a great sign. "The Petro" sounds like a sketchy bar.

Is this a permanent rejection or do they just have to wait 90 days?

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Is this a permanent rejection or do they just have to wait 90 days?

Good question.

I'm not actually clear on how that rule works in the first place. What's the deal? On certain proposals you can just do what you want anyway as long as you wait 90 days after a rejection and on others the rejection is permanent? And how do they determine which rule to apply in which case?

28 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

People with poor eyesight  might think it says "The Petco" and take their doggies there for treatment. 

GFR!!!! :ph34r:

14 hours ago, ArtieFufkin said:

Good question.

I'm not actually clear on how that rule works in the first place. What's the deal? On certain proposals you can just do what you want anyway as long as you wait 90 days after a rejection and on others the rejection is permanent? And how do they determine which rule to apply in which case?

I think if it's in a Historic District, then no means no, they can't make the change. Not sure if this is inside the Downtown Historic District or not. If it's not in a Historic District then it might still be a Landmark. If it's a Landmark then they can wait 90 days and then make the change, if it's a Protected Landmark, then no means no, they can't make the change. I'm pretty sure this is not a Protected Landmark since those are almost always either houses or government buildings (the owner has to be the one to make it Protected, which private owners of commercial buildings rarely want to do).

Great Southwest probably has little or no meaning to the general population these days but "Petro" sounds like some cut-rate gas station. Why not "The Cambria" in backlit letters?

For the curious, Cambria is another name for Wales. It is the Latinized version of the Welsh Cymru. If it is associate with Great Britain it must be classy. :D

6 hours ago, Specwriter said:

Great Southwest probably has little or no meaning to the general population these days but "Petro" sounds like some cut-rate gas station. Why not "The Cambria" in backlit letters?

For the curious, Cambria is another name for Wales. It is the Latinized version of the Welsh Cymru. If it is associate with Great Britain it must be classy. :D

I'm sure there are few still around who remember the Great Southwest Life Insurance Company, but "Great Southwest" still evokes an authentic sense of Houston's past and its embodiment in the surrounding region. I agree though that "The Cambria" is a better hotel name than "The Petro." Almost any name would be.

Edited by H-Town Man

I think of the Cambrian period. I think that relates to the time of the extinction  of many species of trilobites and other sea creatures which helped create the oil industry.

I like Cambria much more than Petro. 

"The Cambrian Period marks an important point in the history of life on Earth; it is the time when most of the major groups of animals first appear in the fossil record. This event is sometimes called the "Cambrian Explosion," because of the relatively short time over which this diversity of forms appears." 

UCMP Berkeley

Didn’t the building open as the Petroleum Building and later became Great Southwest? Not that I like the name ...

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, mattyt36 said:

Didn’t the building open as the Petroleum Building and later became Great Southwest? Not that I like the name ...

If a sign has been there for most of the building's history, that becomes its history. If they could show that when it was the Petroleum Building, there was a sign there called "The Petro" and that they are merely restoring this sign, then there might be an interesting argument for reverting it back. Or if the building was especially famous when it was the Petroleum Building and no one ever really called it the Great Southwest building, sort of like Transco Tower vs. Williams Tower or Sears Tower vs. Willis Tower, then you could revert back. But it's sort of like a legal precedent... once it has amassed a considerable history a certain way, that becomes the history. An analogous case is the AC by Marriott hotel on Main Street, where they are retaining the building's modern-style renovation because it has been that way long enough that that is legitimate history. (And because whatever is under that façade is probably too ruined to be worth retrieving.)

16 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

If a sign has been there for most of the building's history, that becomes its history. If they could show that when it was the Petroleum Building, there was a sign there called "The Petro" and that they are merely restoring this sign, then there might be an interesting argument for reverting it back. Or if the building was especially famous when it was the Petroleum Building and no one ever really called it the Great Southwest building, sort of like Transco Tower vs. Williams Tower or Sears Tower vs. Willis Tower, then you could revert back. But it's sort of like a legal precedent... once it has amassed a considerable history a certain way, that becomes the history. An analogous case is the AC by Marriott hotel on Main Street, where they are retaining the building's modern-style renovation because it has been that way long enough that that is legitimate history. (And because whatever is under that façade is probably too ruined to be worth retrieving.)

So, in short, yes?

8 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Pretty obvious from what I said. Is this a courtroom?

More like a forum for a self-published novel.