Daikin Industries - Highway 290 Near Highway 99

skooljunkie

This is going to be a huge facility. It's interesting to watch these manufacturing companies find new homes in the Grand Parkway corridor out west and east. From what I hear, their current, smaller site in Timbergrove will be vacated--most likely becoming townhomes.

http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/cy-fair/daikin-industries-to-build-facility-in-northwest-harris-coun/

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/01/07/major-hvac-manufacturer-to-build-417m-houston.html

it's odd they never list the cross street....they keep referencing Grand Parkway and 290 (three miles out) but this is the first I've seen on Badtke.....but seeing those bulldozers on Badtke and 290 now makes sense

technically, they should reference Hockley and Waller

• 6 months later...

Should be visible from Space. 4.1 million square feets.....

World's Largest Tilt-Wall Project Underway
HOUSTON (Realty News Report) – Daikin Industries' HVAC manufacturing plant under construction on SH 290 west of Grand Pkwy. is the largest tilt-wall construction project in the world, experts say.

Measuring around 4.1 million sf, the single-building Daikin factory will surpass the 3.4 million-sf Gateway Theatre of Shopping in Umhlunga Rocks, South Africa, as the world's biggest tilt-wall building.

The plant will have:
  • a 1.8 million-sf distribution center;
  • 1.7 million sf of manufacturing space with a 196,500-sf mezzanine;
  • 231,598 sf of lab space; and
  • 202,600 sf of office space.
The factory is on 497 acres. It is slated for completion in 2016.

Powers Brown Architecture is the architect, LJB Inc. is the engineer and D.E. Harvey Builders is the general contractor.

Its a pre-fab concrete wall that is transported to the site and then its tilted up into place where it is then braced by some sort structure above. Its used quite a lot especially for distribution centers, large industrial operations, office parks, etc... Its a way of cutting costs when you are building something with a lot of sqft. Not my favorite means of construction, but it has its place and is very cost effective for the end user.

Its a pre-fab concrete wall that is transported to the site and then its tilted up into place where it is then braced by some sort structure above. Its used quite a lot especially for distribution centers, large industrial operations, office parks, etc... Its a way of cutting costs when you are building something with a lot of sqft. Not my favorite means of construction, but it has its place and is very cost effective for the end user.

Transported there? I thought tilt walls were poured at the site and then "tilted" up by a crane.

Iron Tiger and BigFootSocks are correct. "Tilt-wall" construction means the walls are poured on top of a slab, allowed to cure, then tilted up into place with a crane. This has been a popular means of construction for large area buildings like warehouses and manufacturing facilities for quite a while.

What Luminare is describing is commonly knows as architectural pre-cast concrete. It is cast off-site and transported. More and more pre-cast concrete construction is being used as part of a curtain wall system for commercial, residential, and even healthcare facilities. The process he describes of raising the panels with temporary bracing is part of the tilt-wall process though. Once the walls are erected they are supported laterally by the roof structure which itself bears on the concrete panels and, usually because of the size of the building, internal columns. Pre-cast panels are lifted from the trucks they are brought to the site on and secured in place on an existing frame work of either steel or cast-in-place concrete.

There is no reason to disdain either tilt-wall or pre-cast concrete construction methods. The plasticity of concrete allows for some truly attractive detailing of the panels. Both are durable and, as Luminare points out, very cost effective for buildings with large footprints especially.

It seems some of us are in disagreement over what tilt-wall construction is, or perhaps just 'misspoke' when describing the process. Please know that I am a licensed architect with 25 years of experience in all types of construction in including tilt-wall and commercial high rise buildings of both steel and concrete framing. My particular focus is very technical including detailing of the building envelope and writing specifications. I've worked closely with structural engineers throughout my career and have a strong understanding and appreciation for both of these types of concrete construction.

BTW, I think the scope of this project is awesome. I usually avoid 290 but I'll make an exception to see this project being built.

• 1 year later...

The Chronicle actually had a somewhat* decent piece on this project and it's formal opening scheduled for Wednesday. Looks to be a beast not just in sheer physical size but in economic potential as well.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/On-outskirts-of-Houston-giant-HVAC-plant-employs-11161770.php?cmpid=chronstrrpc

*somewhat until that spurt of latin or whatever at the end

5000 employees. 95% of the current employees are  temporary,  making 9$ an hour, and no benefits. many of the employees at the location on 11th st depend on the bus. Maybe they will get raises big enough to afford cars for the new commute.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 7:34 PM, LarryDierker said:

5000 employees. 95% of the current employees are  temporary,  making 9$ an hour, and no benefits. many of the employees at the location on 11th st depend on the bus. Maybe they will get raises big enough to afford cars for the new commute.

So much for economic boosting...<_<

On 5/22/2017 at 7:34 PM, LarryDierker said:

Got any proof for these numbers?

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Daikin Industries - Highway 290 Near Highway 99

Archived