Gulfgate Roller Rink At 6839 Holmes Rd.

Ashikaga

I'm not sure if there is/was one there but I remember the one on Bellaire.  I think it was called the Bellaire Skating Rink back in the 70's.  I'm sure it's gone now.

Thanks. As I've said, I'm trying to rely on memories that are over 40 years ago. I just thought that I remember my parent's and my dad's cousin going to a skating rink on IH-610 just west of Telephone Road. A "Diet Rite Cola" sign is also coming into view when I think of that rink.

Chet Cuccia

Thanks.  As I've said, I'm trying to rely on memories that are over 40 years ago.  I just thought that I remember my parent's and my dad's cousin going to a skating rink on IH-610 just west of Telephone Road.  A "Diet Rite Cola" sign is also coming into view when I think of that rink.

Chet Cuccia

I'm amazed at how detailed your memory is! :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  As I've said, I'm trying to rely on memories that are over 40 years ago.  I just thought that I remember my parent's and my dad's cousin going to a skating rink on IH-610 just west of Telephone Road.  A "Diet Rite Cola" sign is also coming into view when I think of that rink.

Chet Cuccia

I think there is a trailer company where the rink was, I don`t remember any info though. Info was second hand from family member.

I think there is a trailer company where the rink was, I don`t remember any info though. Info was second hand from family member.

I don't remember exactly where it was located but I loved going to the old Polar Wave Ice Palace for ice skating back in the '50s. My Mother had also skated there in her earlier years so I know it wasn't a new rink at that time. After it closed, they made ice skating available periodically in the old Houston Coliseum Downtown.

I don't remember exactly where it was located but I loved going to the old Polar Wave Ice Palace for ice skating back in the '50s.  My Mother had also skated there in her earlier years so I know it wasn't a new rink at that time.  After it closed, they made ice skating available periodically in the old Houston Coliseum Downtown.

The last time that I went to Houston was back in 2002. On IH-610 I remember seeing a business called "Levitz." The skating rink that I think I remember was somewhere in that vicinity.

Chet Cuccia

There used to be a skating rink between winkler and i-45 on the southeast side of town. Perhaps that's the one you're remembering?

It might be. My memory isn't accurate all of the time. But I do remember (1962-64) going with my parents to the Winkler Drive-In Theatre on Winkler Drive. "Subdude" posted an old aerial photo of Gulfgate Shopping Center under "The East End" category. At the top of the photo you can see a drive-in theatre. That was the Winkler. I've been trying to find out about that theatre for at least six months.

An aerial photo is better than no photo at all. But I'm still hoping that I stumble across someone out there who has a close up picture of the Winkler. Do you personally have any information about it?

Chet Cuccia

It might be.  My memory isn't accurate all of the time.  But I do remember (1962-64) going with my parents to the Winkler Drive-In Theatre on Winkler Drive.  "Subdude" posted an old aerial photo of Gulfgate Shopping Center under "The East End" category.  At the top of the photo you can see a drive-in theatre.  That was the Winkler.  I've been trying to find out about that theatre for at least six months.

An aerial photo is better than no photo at all.  But I'm still hoping that I stumble across someone out there who has a close up picture of the Winkler.  Do you personally have any information about it?

Chet Cuccia

Sorry I wasnt around in the 60's. My memories of this skating rink - which was located on Easthaven to be exact - are from the 70's.

Cool forum. I just found it a while ago.

Yes, there was a roller rink on Loop 610, just west of Gulfgate Mall at Telephone Road.

It was a trailer supply company after that and is now all rebuilt with new retail buildings.

The whole Gulfgate landscape has changed a lot in the last couple of years but you do remember the roller rink in the correct place.

Anyone remember the big oil fountain inside of Gulfgate Mall?

• Thanks 1

Yes, there was a roller rink on Loop 610, just west of Gulfgate Mall at Telephone Road.

It was a trailer supply company after that and is now all rebuilt with new retail buildings.

The whole Gulfgate landscape has changed a lot in the last couple of years but you do remember the roller rink in the correct place.

Anyone remember the big oil fountain inside of Gulfgate Mall?

Thank you. I thought that I remembered one somewhere around there. Like I said, I lived in Houston from 1962-1964. Four stores stand out in my mind from Gulfgate Shopping Center: Weingarten's, Newberry's, the toy store in the corner, and the underground bowling alley. I remember my mother telling me that we couldn't go into Joske's or Sakowitz because those stores were for rich people.

Chet Cuccia

If I remember right, it was named Gulfgate Roller Rink. That one was there for a long time too.

I remember the shops in the mall too. Before Almeda Mall, Gulfgate was it other than stand alone stores in Pasadena.

The Gulfgate Theater is gone along with the hill it sat on. Mini storage there now and the 610 crossing bridge is sort of there. I think they are leaving it in place and are rebuilding the theater end of it to match the new lower grade.

• Thanks 1

A bit of an update. I went by the old Gulfgate skate rink yesterday and the building is actually still there but sitting empty.

Thank you. Like I said, it has been over 40 years since I've been there. I THINK that that's the place. I remember going westbound on IH-610. We would pass up Gulfgate Shopping Center, and arrive at a skating rink a little way's down from there.

Chet Cuccia

Guest danax

Last time I went by the trailer place is still there. The surprising thing is that Perry Homes has a new dollop of housing going up right behind there on Telephone. One of the proposed MetroRail, oh yeah, BRT (aka Barrio Rapid Transit, aka Been Robbed by Tom, aka Big Rubber Tires) routes for the Southeast line goes down Telephone at that spot so we might see even more upgrades soon.

Thank you.  Like I said, it has been over 40 years since I've been there.  I THINK that that's the place.  I remember going westbound on IH-610.  We would pass up Gulfgate Shopping Center, and arrive at a skating rink a little way's down from there.

Chet Cuccia

Like I said, to me, if would be an eerie and a spooky feeling to go inside old buildings such at that Gulfgate Skating Rink and the Santa Rosa Theatre, buildings that have been all boarded up and closed down for many years.

Chet Cuccia

• 2 weeks later...
I don't remember exactly where it was located but I loved going to the old Polar Wave Ice Palace for ice skating back in the '50s.  My Mother had also skated there in her earlier years so I know it wasn't a new rink at that time.  After it closed, they made ice skating available periodically in the old Houston Coliseum Downtown.

I was trying to remember the name of that place! I went there a couple of times. It was not far off Almeda Rd., which was Texas 288 back then. I'm pretty sure it was on an east-west street rather than a north-south, probably between Elgin and where I-45 cut through, south of downtown. The colors were blue and white inside and it was freezing in there.

I was trying to remember the name of that place!  I went there a couple of times.  It was not far off Almeda Rd., which was Texas 288 back then.  I'm pretty sure it was on an east-west street rather than a north-south, probably between Elgin and where I-45 cut through, south of downtown.  The colors were blue and white inside and it was freezing in there.

Polar Wave Ice Palace was at Hutchins and McGowen