Busch Gardens Park At 775 Gellhorn Dr.

Duce

i had two uncles who worked for budweiser/busch through retirement. busch gardens also had exotic bird shows. it was a small facility within the busch complex at i-10 and the east loop. i believe busch still had sea-arama marine world in galveston at the time.

We went there when I was young. It was Busch Gardens and Busch Bird Park, because it had a lot of exotic birds there. The facility, as I remember it, was very well-kept and very lush and tropical. It also had a "tasting room" attached nearby, that my parents liked! We all enjoyed the free tour of the Budweiser plant with their gigantic copper kettles, and warm delicious smell of brewing hops. It was a pleasant place, in all, and we were sad to see it leave.

WHere was it? I know it only was around for about a year and a half but does anyone know anything more about it?

I went there as a child in the early 1970s. My recollection is very vague (I was born in 1967), but I remeber nice landscaping and some kind of boat ride through the park.

I seem to remember that it was on the northwest side of the brewery building, visible from I-10.

I also seem to remember news reports that it was closed since Busch wanted to concentrate their resources on the Tampa Busch Gardens.

Found this info on the Anheuser Busch web site:

The Houston brewery began operating May 18, 1966.

Houston Busch Gardens opened May 28, 1971.

Houston Busch Gardens closed December 1972.

FWIW, they also used to have a Busch Gardens in Los Angeles, which was downscaled and converted to Busch Bird Sanctuary - Los Andeles in 1976 and was closed in 1979.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
No, it's been gone a long time now. It was very nice when it existed, though. You really should come back to Houston, you seem to miss it here an awful lot...

I remember that it had a big pond with huge goldfish in it, between 6" and one-foot long. (I read that the bigger the environment goldfish live in, the bigger they'll grow).

I also remember a free beer center. My dad got a plastic cup of Busch.

• 8 months later...

I was really really young to remember when it was around. I only know of it because there is a picture of me on a swing there when I was about 2 years old. I found an article in a google search that it was only around for a year (71-72). Where was it located and why was it only around a year?

IIRC, Busch Gardens was located on the grounds of the Anheiser-Busch brewery at the I10E/610 interchange. I seem to remember that attendance was very poor, well below projections. I also seem to remember that part of the reason may have been that our Busch Gardens didn't have as many attractions as some of the others.

After the park was gone, the pavilion was used for picnics and tour groups. There was a gift store there. For a long time after the park closed, you could still take self-guided tours of the brewery at almost any time since critical areas were secured. In high school, a group of us went there around 11:00 p.m. one time - it was pretty surreal.

Yes, that's right, and I believe they were actually "gardens". I can't even remember that there were any rides?

There is recent topic of Busch Gardens out here somewhere. Maybe moderator could merge?

Many people responded with clear information. It had some neat rides we could see them from the freeway. Very colorful too. :lol:

There is recent topic of Busch Gardens out here somewhere. Maybe moderator could merge?

Many people responded with clear information. It had some neat rides we could see them from the freeway. Very colorful too. :lol:

a coworker i asked said she remembers it arount that time frame. she stated that adults would take their kids there and than take a tour of the brewery and have a free glass of beer. Her dad took them there a few times for the beer after going to bush gardens. She state it was right next to the brewery and was actually part of the park.

Does anyone remember the giant red neon eagle on the bulding? It was, as I recall, at the highest point of the Brewery building and it flapped its wings.

Yes, I do. Makes you wonder where in the world it ended up? If auctioned where in the heck would you store it and why? Conversation piece I guess. :)

Yes, I do. Makes you wonder where in the world it ended up? If auctioned where in the heck would you store it and why? Conversation piece I guess. :)

I remember looking at that sign at night. The wings of the eagle would flap, then you'd see the Budweiser logo.

Yes, I went to Busch Gardens when it first opened. They had a baby elephant and would give us cut up pieces of an apple to feed it. The ponds had some BIG goldfish swimming in them.

• 3 weeks later...
www.sixflagshouston.com has videos of the Houston Busch Gardens on their "videos" portion of the website

Is Houston the only city in Texas that has a Budweiser brewery? When I was a kid, we went through San Antonio and I remember seeing the Pearl brewery. I don't know if Pearl is even brewed anymore.

• 1 year later...
I posted a few photos of Houston's Busch Gardens, and some 1970's newspaper article excerpts about the park, here.

In answer to the question above - Wikipedia says that Houston is the only Texas city with an Anheuser-Busch brewery.

Thanks. Yes, I went to Busch Gardens back when it first opened. What stands out in my head is the huge goldfish, and the free cup of beer they gave my dad. I guess Texans want to drink but not make beer. I remember when Pearl and Lone Star were exclusively Texan. I don't hear or see much about either one anymore. Have they bit the dust?

I remember when Pearl and Lone Star were exclusively Texan. I don't hear or see much about either one anymore. Have they bit the dust?

Yes, both are still made, however, not in San Antonio and not by the original brewers. Both Lone Star and Pearl were sold to national brewers years ago and have changed hands multiple times since then. Both San Antonio breweries have been closed, the Pearl one just a few years ago.

Both brands are now owned by Pabst. However, Pabst doesn't brew Lone Star, they apparently farm it out to Miller, who brews it in Fort Worth under the name of Lone Star Brewing Company. But it's not a real company in the way it once was.

Lone Star hasn't been an independent brewery or brand since the mid 1970s, when Olympia bought them out. It was then sold to G. Heileman, a big Midwestern brewer. Then it was sold to Strohs (the former Schlitz) and the San Antonio brewery was closed and production moved to Stroh's plant in Longview. Then Pabst, (formerly Pearl. Pearl bought Pabst), purchased the brand and brought it back to San Antonio and started brewing it at the Pearl brewery. But now that the Pearl plant is closed, it's made in Fort Worth, as is Pearl.

I'm not sure why Pabst farms out its brewing. Talk about outsourcing!

Edited by Firebird65

Thanks. Yes, I went to Busch Gardens back when it first opened. What stands out in my head is the huge goldfish, and the free cup of beer they gave my dad. I guess Texans want to drink but not make beer. I remember when Pearl and Lone Star were exclusively Texan. I don't hear or see much about either one anymore. Have they bit the dust?

edit: oops--got that sorta wrong. Thanks, firebird for the clarification.

Pearl and Lone Star were acquired by Pabst and are brewed in Miller's plant in Ft Worth, I believe. That used to be the only beer my dad brought in the house (his stepfather was a trucker for Lone Star.) I used to hear all kinds of cool stories, like the reason HEB finally relented and started selling beer (back in the day), was because the plants basically threatened to mobilize their workers to shop exclusively at Handy Andy instead. Growing up, our backyard BBQ was a LoneStar keg on a post, cut open lengthwise and hinged, a little handle welded on.

I remember Busch Gardens too. My brother got pooped on by flamigos. It was like someone dropping a paint bucket of bird poop in him. Copious poop. Gross.

Edited by crunchtastic