Sign in to follow this  
JLWM8609

Parker Brothers (not the game company)

I was trying to find info about this Houston based company. The owner of Parker Brothers owned a house in Riverside Terrace that has been owned by members of my extended family since the late 60s. For years, I noticed that one of the bathrooms had a tug boat outline designed into the floor pattern, but never knew why. I was told that Parker Brothers owned a concrete company, and I've found a photo of a Parker Brothers Sand and Gravel Building on Navigation, but I've also found results for Parker Brothers Shipyard. That would explain the tug boat outline in the bathroom floor. Were the two companies owned by the same person?

I'm not familiar with Parker Brothers being part of a shipping business. However, I did have an uncle who drove for Parker Brothers back in the 60's and 70's. He had stories about things being very territorial back then. He told me a story where Parker Brothers was dispatched to a project in Galveston, and the workers on site refused to unload the concrete unless it was delivered by W.A. Kelso. The drivers apparently had to come back to Houston and chip out the undelivered contrete that had set up inside of their trucks.

Parker Brothers were in the shipping business, and selling sand and gravel. They ran a string of tugboats up and down the ship channel. A Google Search has revealed:  

The Parker family were early settlers who owned significant farmland in southeast Houston before it became industrialized.  They gradually developed the land along Industrial Road and one activity was the Parker Bros. shipyard on Greens Bayou.  The yard was located next to the Platzer yard, which used Parker's slips after it closed in 1980 and later bought most of the yard.  

Here's a link to where I found that information:

http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/history/shipyards/5small/inactive/parker.htm

I am a descendent of the Parkers that founded Parker brothers. And would like to hear more about what you all are talking about. 

On 6/1/2017 at 4:46 AM, George Weisinger said:

If anyone is still actively interested, I can shed a lot of real light on this and improve upon some shortfalls of what has already been posted.

Please do.