Guest Plastic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest danax

Anyone have any idea what, if anything, is going to be replacing this ancient warehouse? It's surrounded by surface parking.

Picture from this evening.

qoc1ah.jpg

Yep, they resumed work on that one this morning. They halted it last week for some reason.

I stoped by the check out the bricks. Nothing worth making into a patio.

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS!

They are tearing down that hell hole trade center thing across from Vick & Anthonys. What the scoop on that?

Guest danax
I stoped by the check out the bricks. Nothing worth making into a patio.

I obtained about 25 of them and had to really scrounge for those. Palmers and a few Corsicanas but they used concrete as mortar, which will not come off in most cases. I tried to clean them at home with my hammer and brick chisel and ended up tossing most of them, so you didn't miss much.

Does anyone think Minute Maid Park and that area could use a parking garage, or is the area better off the way it is?

A garage was originally planned for MMP. It would have been between the ballpark and 59 where the surface lots are now. After the first season they realized that there was no need - there was already sufficient parking in the dozens of nearby garages and surface lots. Also, the "e-Square" development that was slated to be across 59 from the ballpark was cancelled, further reducing the need. It seems to be one of the few times that a downtown parking garage never came to be. Shame it hasn't happened again since.

• 1 year later...

You couldn't get this view at the dome...

minutemaidpark.jpg

I know some of you hate the courthouse in the distance. But it's still a nice view on a nice night. We've had season tickets for several years, and I still like going. It's a great ballpark, IMHO.

Go 'stros! Let's hope for a fun season.

I love the lobby of Union Station. I was there just yesterday picking up some of those Astros pocket schedules.

The Travel Channel aired a show the other day about ballpark foods and it included a little tour of the eateries at MMP: the two restaurants and Nolan Ryan cooking his burgers. The program was obviously a couple of years old. Why did they change from Nolan Ryan Burgers to Bubba Burgers anyway? Could they have picked a name worse than Bubba Burgers?

They also showed Union Station and the train above the stadium. It was a pretty neat show.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

• 3 years later...

They're adding a high definition video board

"Fans have flat screen TVs and high-definition TVs at their homes, and now they'll have that at the ballpark," McLane said. "We need to constantly upgrade the ballpark especially in this era."

and an LED ribbon encircling the field.

e along the first base line and another 100 along the third base line. The new plan calls for 1,000 feet of continuous ribbon board, which Gardner said will be used for statistics, advertising and rallying fans.

"It's really going to change the feel of the park in a high-energy way," she said.

Be still my heart.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I like the youth the Astros have now. Excited for this upcoming season.

Yeah, the youth is good...until we develop them and they get called to greener pastures. I like having a stock of young, hungry talent but if we don't start having more success the good ones won't be around long enough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not that there's any harm in it, but it does strike me as a bit silly to think they are improving the "game experience" by adding big new video boards. I just have this image of 30,000 people forking it over to come inside and watch television.

If American sports didn't waste so much time with slow play, timeouts and dead spots for TV commercials there wouldn't be a need for videos to amuse the crowd.

Signed,

Grumpy Old Man

without those TV timeouts imagine how much we'd have to pay for a ticket to the game.

Personally, I'd love to see TV timeouts go away. it's most annoying in football to have to watch some dude come out on the field and hold the game up after each score and each change of possession. I go to less live football games because of it.

• Like 1