Peacock And Plaza Court Apartments At 1414-1416 Austin St.

robhan

Yesterday I went for a walk down Auston Street and saw an interesting set of apartments across from the park. It was hard to see the names of these two. Anyone know what they are called?

I don't know but that sure is a horrible name for a Square? ROT ? That sounds of more interest to investigate. Your description of these apts is like major vague. :mellow::)

Speaking of Root Square, where excatly is it and what is its history? An old neighbor of ours when I was growing up said that the unemployed used to camp there during the depression. I have also read that it was a gathering place for some eclectic and eccentric types, political radicals, crimminals, oddballs.

What's the word?

The Root family donated the block their house sat on to the City for a park. For years it was the main campground for homeless people in Downtown, a situation made worse by the stupid, although well meaning, do gooders who fed them on the weekends. Once redevelopment started with the construction of Toyota Center, the City ran off the homeless.

• Like 1

The Root family donated the block their house sat on to the City for a park. For years it was the main campground for homeless people in Downtown, a situation made worse by the stupid, although well meaning, do gooders who fed them on the weekends. Once redevelopment started with the construction of Toyota Center, the City ran off the homeless.

Now I know where it is. Our P & R bus would pass by every morning and yep it was wino heaven. Most times looked like a bunch of corpses laying all around, most boozing in the am, pretty sad sight. The apts mentioned catered to a mostly single men crowd. Would be shocked if still extant. Must have been really neat when brand new. Has most of it's original ornate detail, but the area is to be reckoned with. :wacko:

It probally smelled like Rot around that park for awhile. I never could understand why folks, mostly church groups, would bring food to these "homeless people" on weekends. Why not serve them in their own church or in parks in their own neignborhood. We all know the answer to that. Thank God the city finally ran these bums out. I don't even care were they went.

It probally smelled like Rot around that park for awhile. I never could understand why folks, mostly church groups, would bring food to these "homeless people" on weekends. Why not serve them in their own church or in parks in their own neignborhood. We all know the answer to that. Thank God the city finally ran these bums out. I don't even care were they went.

The original plan was to encourage the homeless to migrate to Baldwin Park at Elgin and Crawford. This was when we lived in the area. The community meeting on the topic had over 200 attendees, who pretty much told the do gooders that if they wanted to support the homeless, how about doing it in the do gooder's neighborhood. There was much talk about how to disrupt the feeding/preaching plans, and in the end, the homeless didn't go to our park.

I used to marvel at the apartments details, especially the colorful tile work on the facades. Really nice looking work. Since we moved to Timbergrove, I haven't had much opportunity to drive that way.

• Like 1

The_Peacock.jpg

The side view IMO is much nicer and evokes a bygone era of Houston's days when one could simply step out of a cab and step up directly into the "ungated" entrance. The once opened courtyard is something seldom seen any longer in our inner-city. Very reminsicent of the layouts of California/Spanish style Courtyard's. :P Complete with fountains and foliage. (Bet a period movie could be filmed here)

Anybody know date built?

I have not seen this place for a while either, but drive by and look upstairs (side view) and see arches and lawn chairs. It was meant for relaxation when coming home from a busy day. I am just dying of curiousity to see if original mantel's, chandeliers and mosaic tile work is still extant. Sometimes its a good thing when a landlord can't afford remodeling that way all interior/exterior is as original as can be.

It's delightful.

I lived there for a year when I was 18. It was owned by a sweet old lady, but her son ran the place most of the time.It had push button light switches and crystal old fashioned door knobs. They are all studio apartments and was the first and only time I ever saw a Murphy bed. It was built in the very early 1900's- can't remember the exact year. My apartment faced the courtyard which was the nicest part of the place. I had the worst,most annoying,sex at 6:00am on Sat.,upstairs neighbor you could ever imagine who,himself, inspired me to buy a quiet place with thick walls!! The park across the street has been redone in the last few years and is no longer the homeless homestead it was way back when I lived at those apartments. There's nothing worse than preachers with microphones to make you want to pull your hair out! The rent was cheap and it helped me save money and my job was within walking distance. It also made up my mind to NEVER rent again! Someone asked about parking-you're on your own and have to pay since there is only space for about 3 or 4 cars next to the building. It also had some unusual antique looking appliances, but they worked fine. I guess they had a good appliance repairman.

Speaking of Root Square, where excatly is it and what is its history? An old neighbor of ours when I was growing up said that the unemployed used to camp there during the depression. I have also read that it was a gathering place for some eclectic and eccentric types, political radicals, crimminals, oddballs.

What's the word?

Checked for old newspaper articles and found one in 1924 saying: "Among the latest additions to the city's parks is Root Square. There a $24,000 pavillion is nearing completion, and work is underway on a wading pool. The Square playground will be oval in shape, and one of the best equipped in the city, the park board says."

A 1925 article mentions a horseshoe-pitching championship held in the park.

In 1926, there was a rally there for gubernatorial candidate Dan Moody.

In 1932, a 13-year-old girl found a "withered arm" in the park.

In 1934, a man posed as Raymond Hamilton (a member of Clyde Barrow's gang), and attempted to rob an auto livery on Walker Street. He was arrested, but claimed not to know anything about the charges, noting that he had smoked 24 marijuana cigarettes that day. He added "I'm a Houston boy, and I've never been in trouble before in my life, except being jailed for drunk, although I'm one of the Clyde Barrow boys. I used to run around with the Clyde Barrow crowd at Root Square."

Sort of an odd collection of stories, but that's what turned up.

Checked for old newspaper articles and found one in 1924 saying: "Among the latest additions to the city's parks is Root Square. There a $24,000 pavillion is nearing completion, and work is underway on a wading pool. The Square playground will be oval in shape, and one of the best equipped in the city, the park board says."

In 1934, a man posed as Raymond Hamilton (a member of Clyde Barrow's gang), and attempted to rob an auto livery on Walker Street. He was arrested, but claimed not to know anything about the charges, noting that he had smoked 24 marijuana cigarettes that day. He added "I'm a Houston boy, and I've never been in trouble before in my life, except being jailed for drunk, although I'm one of the Clyde Barrow boys. I used to run around with the Clyde Barrow crowd at Root Square."

Excellente!

No mention of year built though? This guy puffed 24 joints that day, wow must have had the munchies really bad. :o

Just think, somewhere, someone has interior and or exterior photos of the early years of this place. I have many silent films that have fantastic scenes of interiors/exteriors of places that look just like this. Thats why I picture this from those days. Very cool.

Thank you for the great research tmariar...you deserve an award. :)

Very interesting T-Mar. I knew that, while in Houston, Clyde Barrow was part of a group of criminal confederates that called themselves "The Root Square Gang" , but I never thought of the connection to that park.

Very interesting T-Mar. I knew that, while in Houston, Clyde Barrow was part of a group of criminal confederates that called themselves "The Root Square Gang" , but I never thought of the connection to that park.

Yeah, me either! But then, I didn't even know the name of the park...

The Peacock Apartments were built in 1924 by a man named Lenard Gabert. Lenard Gabert was the architect for several Houston deco buildings including the Eldorado Ballroom, Monarch Cleaners, and Brochsteins building on Main. He was also the architect for several synagogues, including Temple Emanu-el on Sunset. He bought the land for the Peacock and Plaza Court in 1923 from J. E.C. Schmidt. The Plaza Court Apartment building was constructed the year following the Peacock in 1925.

Gabert eventually lost the building in 1931 to forclosure after taking out a loan and using that building as collateral. Lenard Gabert was in the first entering class of Rice University. He married a woman named Gladys Thelma Rothalz and they had and least two children. Gabert is a fairly well known local architect and I don't think it is widely known that he was the architect for these apartment buildings. This would have been very early in his career when he was only abou 30.

An interesting side note: Gabert's daugher was named Rilda Gabert and she later became the wife of TV announcer and City Councilman Dick Gottlieb. Long time Houstonians will know who that is.

Plaza_Court_Apartments.jpg

Edited by isuredid

Great research!

More historical Houston mysteries loved!

Just knew it had that roaring 20's mystique about it. I can just picture young flapper-era ladies lounging around on that top patio/terrace. :)

This was more than likely one of the only other alternatives to stay cool in our extreme hot summers in those days. No air conditioning then, so these open air lounging areas were the place to be.

Thank you for answering our questions.

Thanks for running that down. If you read Ralph Cushman's book Young Bussey, Young Stud, it talks about Bussey hanging out in Root Square, meeting Barrow and bringing him home for supper.

Raymond Hamilton was once one of the most wanted desperadoes in the country. Twenty-four reefers in a single day? What a viper!

• 6 years later...