Urbannizer

Houston Endowment HQ Near Spotts Park (Formerly Park Place @ Buffalo Bayou)

https://www.archdaily.com/922471/4-teams-shortlisted-for-the-houston-endowment-headquarters

The four design teams selected for the Houston Endowment Headquarters International Design Competition were announced today by Houston Endowment and Malcolm Reading Consultants, the organizers of the contest. The teams chosen have to imagine the new head offices of the organization, a private institution that tackles the essential needs of the community of greater Houston.

The four finalist teams are (in alphabetical order by team lead):

Deborah Berke Partners with DAVID RUBIN Land Collective and Atelier Ten

Kevin Daly Architects with TLS Landscape Architecture, Productora, and Transsolar

Olson Kundig with Surfacedesign, Inc

Schaum/Shieh Architects with HKS and Andrea Cochran Landscape Architecture

Launched in June 2019, the first phase of the competition was so popular that it attracted 121 team submissions from 354 individual firms. The selected four teams will be qualified to the next round where they would have to produce conceptual design drawings for the project in 10 weeks, based on their initial approach. They would have to create an inspirational and innovative 3700 square meters building, integrated within its natural context, near downtown Houston, and competing with the modern structures of the region. The construction will include spaces for its team and community partners, such as workspaces, meeting spaces, and engagement facilities. The winner’s announcement is expected in November 2019 and the final built project is due to open on May 2022.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Be interesting to see what HKS has in store. Really hoping they go with someone local. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, marstrose said:

Be interesting to see what HKS has in store. Really hoping they go with someone local. 

The best one and probably the best fit will be Olsen Kundig. Really good architecture firm. They check all the boxes for what HE wants. They have a great variety in their portfolio of work. The architecture Kundig does is very contextual. Just scrolling through their projects a lot of what they do could easily be applied to the Houston context. I would choose them.

The odd one in the bunch is Schaum/Shieh. I like what they do, but they are very different from the other three (for good and for bad). Once they were chosen by the Architecture League as one of their 2019 Emerging Voices they were immediately catapulted into the "architectural zietgeist" or "architectural vanguard" of sorts, which when entering any competition is going to help you get chosen.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Luminare said:

The best one and probably the best fit will be Olsen Kundig. Really good architecture firm. They check all the boxes for what HE wants. They have a great variety in their portfolio of work. The architecture Kundig does is very contextual. Just scrolling through their projects a lot of what they do could easily be applied to the Houston context. I would choose them.

I too am rooting for Olsen Kundig. A number of architects have work in-design for Houston, which I like. Brings more variety and flavor.

• Like 3

This is good

This is actually ethical vis-a-vis the park. It has a very good relationship with the park. 

Edited by EllenOlenska
  • Like 6

Something was bugging me and I realized it reminds me somewhat of the Menil and I don't know why. 

I love the design. The only thing is those skinny columns, dont know how I feel about that. The airyness of the design is pretty striking. Make parts of this out of recycled materials and we have a true winner. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Something was bugging me and I realized it reminds me somewhat of the Menil and I don't know why. 

I love the design. The only thing is those skinny columns, dont know how I feel about that. The airyness of the design is pretty striking. Make parts of this out of recycled materials and we have a true winner. 

Everyone at my office was saying the exact same thing!

With that being said, its not like its out of the realm of possibility, right?

I mean I remember this project by SANAA for a university cafe:

8PbSvvh.jpg

The slender column was at the Serpentine Pavilion for 2019 by Junya Ishigami:

rE02VOc.jpg

Theres this example of a new visitors center at Stonehenge (which must be recent because I don't remember this being there when I went (7ish years ago):

65T6rfL.jpg

I'm also trying to remember that one post-modern architect that first played with the super tall and slender column, but can't remember the name for the life of me.

I think the biggest question mark is the intention of this roof and whats its materiality. In the visuals it looks like concrete. You can go super skinny with metal, but concrete will be tricky.

• Like 3

Man I would take something like this any day over those 20+ story boring office squares.  I would have LOVED this in front of The James fronting Westheimer instead of the office building going up. 

This is a great building. The simple lines and modern feel will compliment the AIG campus buildings (not their tallest tower) just across the way. Spotts Park needs a major upgrade... hopefully it will get one.

The low rise nature of this will allow for towers in the back off Washington Ave to have sweeping views. One day, we will truly have the 'valley effect' in the bayou and it will be glorious. 

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Avossos said:

Spotts Park needs a major upgrade... hopefully it will get one.

I thought Spotts was going to get expanded because of the removal of the clover interchange. 

Was hoping they would go with a Houston architect and Schaum / Shieh who were a finalist. I really like their Transart Foundation building on Alabama.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:18 AM, Urbannizer said:

1600x1600.jpg

I think this is what I was hoping the new MFAH building would be. It interacts with the outside world and invites it in.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:56 PM, EllenOlenska said:

I thought Spotts was going to get expanded because of the removal of the clover interchange. 

If there is a bold plan for the park following the clover interchange removal, I know a certain deep-pocketed endowment that might be willing to make it happen. The original BB master plan had those green fingers at this spot.

• Like 3