Houston Endowment Corporate Headquarters At 3683 Willia St.

Urbannizer

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Endowment Corporate Headquarters Near Spotts Park
  • 3 months later...

Good news, they are installing a construction fence around the project. Talked with the Bellows guy in the pick up, he said they are going to mobilize equipment in the next few weeks. He also said covid set construction back. WS Bellows won the contract.

rVx0zy1.jpg

ZB6TFQi.jpg

oJbNUNb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 1:47 PM, Luminare said:

That is some post-modern hot garbage.

In that case, give me a heaping double-portion of hot garbage, please. 
Architecture goes through predictable cycles. This year's glamorous cutting-edge design will be mimicked, poorly, and soon the good examples are thrown out with the bad as laughably out of date. In the 1950's, removing gingerbread and enclosing porches was the popular way of dealing with Victorian architecture. A few years later, MCM houses underwent renovations to make them look more 'traditional'. The favored remedy for Post-Modern seems to be demolition.
Post-Modern architecture is currently about as welcome as bedbugs, but I assure you that in a few years there will be a resurgence of interest, and people will deplore those who allowed the finer examples to be neglected, poorly altered, or destroyed. 
I liked the YWCA building when it was built, and still do. Too bad it outlived its purpose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

In that case, give me a heaping double-portion of hot garbage, please. 
Architecture goes through predictable cycles. This year's glamorous cutting-edge design will be mimicked, poorly, and soon the good examples are thrown out with the bad as laughably out of date. In the 1950's, removing gingerbread and enclosing porches was the popular way of dealing with Victorian architecture. A few years later, MCM houses underwent renovations to make them look more 'traditional'. The favored remedy for Post-Modern seems to be demolition.
Post-Modern architecture is currently about as welcome as bedbugs, but I assure you that in a few years there will be a resurgence of interest, and people will deplore those who allowed the finer examples to be neglected, poorly altered, or destroyed. 
I liked the YWCA building when it was built, and still do. Too bad it outlived its purpose.

Luckily, Houston's skyline is full of post-modernity, and I don't think they'll be demolishing any of those buildings anytime soon. Hopefully they don't get any ideas from this: https://gothamist.com/news/270-park-avenue-quintessential-modernist-skyscraper-being-slowly-destroyed-chase-bank

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I'm trying to figure this one out. If it's a current proposal it will share the park with Houston Endowment. Only created a separate thread because it's listed as "ongoing" and there's already an engineering firm behind it. Fingers crossed.

https://www.wsp.com/en-US/projects/willia-tower

Based on the picture it would be right where the Houston Endowment is being built. There is room to the right where the tennis court currently is.

IkxnmFs.jpg

cyuf1Uk.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1