Just on the market

ozzie_73

There is something about many of these mid-century mod ranchers that often just feels wrong to me. It's weird, as I adore a simple, clean aesthetic. But so many of these feel so terribly "Jetsons come to Sharpstown to hang out the the Bradys" to me. They rarely feel "sleek and upscale" rather, they feel like they "lack details." I actually owned one of these in north Dallas once. Not mid-century but "early 70's". Inside flow was good but the house, as a whole, just felt wrong to me.

I am very Very odd, no?

That said, I am glad that home like this will be sold to owners who (hopefully) will love it, cherish it, and nurture it for another generation. These ranchers are part of Houston's booming past and need to be part of our future..... Maybe just not my future.

I understand where you are coming from.  In all styles of architecture, there are buildings that are good, bad, and mediocre examples.

In my opinion, good Mid-Century Modern design compensates for the "lack of detail[/ornament]" with beautiful proportions, thoughtful sightlines, attentive use of rich materials, and integration with the surrounding landscape.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to apply all of these design elements to a suburban tract house, a problem that is not mutually exclusive to the Mid-Century Modern style.

In addition, the Mid-Century Modern style is such a strong aesthetic that it really has to be applied to all elements of the house to be truly successful.  Very few people (including me) actually possess the discipline to stay within one style, so things often look "off".  You can see this in the house pictured above, as there are a number of things that don't really fit with the design of the house (palm trees, traditional light fixtures + kitchen cabinets).   

Conventional houses today tend to have glass used differently and they also tend to have bigger bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens.   Some people find fifties houses, both mod and ranch, somewhat lacking for that reason.  And interior brick, either painted or unpainted, is a real love it or hate it material.  Most real mods of the period are very invested in "bringing the outdoors inside."   You don't see that as much in a lot of new houses.

I've been in this house before. It's very nice. The Swamplot commenters complaining about the kitchen and bath are off base, and should think about how many other mods in the Bend have been lost to lot value/new construction sales.

Hopefully it will go to new owners who will appreciate it as much as the current owners have. 

Archived