Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

Hmm....I"m surprised anyone haven't mentioned the tunnels with all these restaurants (mostly fast food last time I visited) down there. It seems there are so many that you could eat at a different one everyday in a month and not run out of options. :-)

The series of restaurants in the tunnel goes something like this: Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's, Alonti, Ninfa's, Treebeard's

I'm only half-kidding. :)

Cabo is just a couple of blocks away... if you're having a fish taco emergency.

Yeah but I just don't really care for Cabo. The food is not that good and they try and hit me up for 4 dollars and change for 1 taco!

Edit: plus tax plus tip!

Edited by kylejack

• 2 months later...

I can see from the 527 Spur that the reconstruction of Brennan's restaurant is moving along now. I think they spent a long time stabilizing the bricks and are now reframing the interior, but there's still no roof.

Anyone know of a timeline for the grand re-opening?

looks like the mkt square area is getting a couple of new places.

ERA

809 Congress

Just getting ready to open for business, this new restaurant is owned by Les Givral’s brother/sister team. Enjoy menu samplings.

Hearsay

218 Travis

Another new opening—this is one of the most beautiful and coolest interiors in town! Enjoy food tastings including their specialties of the house—small plates of fried oysters, pickled veggies, crab cakes and more

Another place that I don't think gets enough attention is Table 7 Bistro. Its in the Club Quarters hotel, facing Rusk between Main and Fannin. Its a sister restaurant to the two District 7 Grill locations (East End and Midtown), and the food is just as good. Try the Angus Moof Burger, which is a burger topped with some amazingly delicious olive relish. They have all kinds of good things, though. Happy hour, 5-7 they do a special of free appetizers from the Bar Menu: things like sausage and pepper pizza or bruschetta and various other things. And they're open Sunday night, a lifesaver if you live down here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've go the answer: January 2010

from today's Chronicle: http://blogs.chron.c...ed_executi.html

[Danny] Trace has been named as the new executive chef for Brennan's of Houston, which is expected to open in January, co-owner Alex Brennan-Martin announced Tuesday.

... Like many in New Orleans, Trace lost everything in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. But the Louisiana native rebuilt his home and career. When the Commander's family opened Café Adelaide, it asked Trace to come in as executive chef. Trace earned good reviews at Café Adelaide, which led to his executive chef position with Commander's Palace & On the Rocks Bar.

According to Brennan-Martin, the Brennan's of Houston menu will marry modern Creole cooking with Texas Creole cuisine and Trace's own touches honed at Café Adelaide and a "Floribbean" flair from Destin.

Almost seems poetic that a victim of Hurricane Katrina will now oversee the rebirth of a victim of Hurricane Ike.

He was already working for their Cafe Adelaide in Nola, so seems more like a transfer than anything. Looking forward to the reopening but I find it really strange that they're claiming January when the pics they've been posting are just girters so far.

He was already working for their Cafe Adelaide in Nola, so seems more like a transfer than anything. Looking forward to the reopening but I find it really strange that they're claiming January when the pics they've been posting are just girters so far.

There are a ton of idle construction workers out there right now. If they so wanted to, and all the necessary materials were readily available, they could probably get this project done in a couple weeks if they put 1000 construction workers to work.

There are a ton of idle construction workers out there right now. If they so wanted to, and all the necessary materials were readily available, they could probably get this project done in a couple weeks if they put 1000 construction workers to work.

Unlikely. Building certification and kitchen certification...over the Holidays.

I hope Trace can bring the local aspect that Evans brought to Brennan's. Bringing fresh and heirloom produce to the table made Brennan's that much more on spot along with a great menu and the sharpest service.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, but mostly lousy chains. Yatra just failed next door as well.

I'm not surprised that Yatra failed. Part of the their business model involved not including rice with any of their entrees, and then charging extra for it. That sort of thing doesn't fly in this town. I think Ziggy's will do well. Lawyers and Energy Execs who wouldn't eat at the Nestle Toll House shop will eat Ziggy's.