Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

i dont get this huge thing about their burger, its really nothing special. since the new owners came in, their fries are AWFUL

Yeah, burgers at the White Oak location suffered after the ownership change. Still, hope the downtown Christian's does well.  (How many years has the ground floor of the Scanlan Building boasted that "Live Sports Bar Coming" sign?)

Meanwhile, I'll plot my next visit to Jackson Street BBQ. Definitely out of the way but well worth it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, burgers at the White Oak location suffered after the ownership change. Still, hope the downtown Christian's does well. (How many years has the ground floor of the Scanlan Building boasted that "Live Sports Bar Coming" sign?)

Meanwhile, I'll plot my next visit to Jackson Street BBQ. Definitely out of the way but well worth it.

Here at Jackson Street BBQ and it is busy! Everyone is getting ready for the game!

La Fisheria, that's good news for downtown.  My 1st experience at Jackson St. BBQ was disappointing, but I do plan to try it again:  went on a quiet Sunday, BBQ was somewhere between room-temperature and cold, as if partially reheated from the day before.  My impression was that it would be rather good, if at the right temp.  The staff was great, very friendly and helpful.  

La Fisheria, that's good news for downtown.  My 1st experience at Jackson St. BBQ was disappointing, but I do plan to try it again:  went on a quiet Sunday, BBQ was somewhere between room-temperature and cold, as if partially reheated from the day before.  My impression was that it would be rather good, if at the right temp.  The staff was great, very friendly and helpful.  

Yeah I agree about Jackson St. I've been a couple times. Eh. Nothing special.

The restaurant is a typical bbq restaurant setup, meaning it's counter service. No hostess, no waiter waiting on you. Yet they have one of those iPad point of sale machines at the register that forces you to click on "no tip". I'm not stingy with tips at a typical restaurant, but come on, this is counter service. And who is receiving this tip?

Yeah I agree about Jackson St. I've been a couple times. Eh. Nothing special.

The restaurant is a typical bbq restaurant setup, meaning it's counter service. No hostess, no waiter waiting on you. Yet they have one of those iPad point of sale machines at the register that forces you to click on "no tip". I'm not stingy with tips at a typical restaurant, but come on, this is counter service. And who is receiving this tip?

I find your consistent and predictable negativity almost... inspiring.

Jackson St. is good. Is it the best bbq in the city? No. Is it better than Pappas (or anything else downtown)? Yes. By quite a bit. Prices are pretty reasonable too.

• Like 2

I find your consistent and predictable negativity almost... inspiring.

Jackson St. is good. Is it the best bbq in the city? No. Is it better than Pappas (or anything else downtown)? Yes. By quite a bit. Prices are pretty reasonable too.

Negative?

I was just agreeing with what ArchFan said. He found it disappointing but wants to try it again. He liked the staff.

What are we supposed to do when we talk about our experiences at a restaurant? Lie?

Jackson St. is Awesome!, (does that make you feel better?)

It's not better than Pappas by quite a bit. By saying stuff like that you're doing a disservice to good bbq and to readers who take this forum seriously. It's about the same quality as Pappas (but lacks a drive thru and with less reliable hours) and maybe a little better than Otto's downtown locations. I would say Otto's has a much broader menu than just bbq, but they call themselves otto's BBQ, so just comparing otto's bbq and Jackson st. bbq, then Jackson st's is better than Ottos.

c'mon. pappas is the worst bbq in the entire city. just trolling at this point.

we probably need a bbq thread.

Pappas isn't the best, but it is by far not the worst. The place on 610 East of Ella near Lowes is not good at all. Dickeys is mediocre, an dthere are others where the brisket is dry and obviously cooked in an oven.

• Like 1

Pappas isn't the best, but it is by far not the worst. The place on 610 East of Ella near Lowes is not good at all. Dickeys is mediocre, an dthere are others where the brisket is dry and obviously cooked in an oven.

Pappas is entirely serviceable stuff. That said, I'm in the "even when it's bad, it's still pretty good" camp when it comes to BBQ.

Far too much energy has been expended on the claim to the absolute best BBQ in the world/city/state. I personally blame Austin Hipsterism™ and its adherents' natural inclination to presume that something's scarcity and difficulty to obtain automatically correlates with quality. The wait becomes a feature instead of a bug.  

Anyone who gives a damn can smoke a brisket to where it tastes really good with a bit of practice. Maybe higher volume inhibits certain aspects of the perfect process, but if there's a line forming an hour before the place opens, I'm going to drive down the street, eat something 95% as good and get on with my life.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 5

Dickeys is a chain, so humongous that I saw one in Vacaville, California last week.  

I tried it.  I was not poisoned.  I also had no joy.  It is a chain BBQ place that fits in perfectly in suburban hell.

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 2

I went during lunch.  They are on their "Sneak Peak" menu prior even to soft opening.  Needless to say, they are still learning here and the food could use a bit of work.  I have been to most of their locations though and they will clean it up.  Good build out of the interior.

I don't know if the district is currrently in a soft opening, or sneak peak, or fully opened but my co-workerd went yesterday. She said the service was terrible. She only ordered a salad but it took 50 minutes for it to arrive. They did comp it for free and included a free coupon for a future meal. I doubt she's returning though, her salad looked pitaful. Bummer, I was hoping this place would be good.

I don't know if the district is currrently in a soft opening, or sneak peak, or fully opened but my co-workerd went yesterday. She said the service was terrible. She only ordered a salad but it took 50 minutes for it to arrive. They did comp it for free and included a free coupon for a future meal. I doubt she's returning though, her salad looked pitaful. Bummer, I was hoping this place would be good.

One bad experience shouldn't keep her from going back. The place seems to be doing well. 

Dickeys is a chain, so humongous that I saw one in Vacaville, California last week.  

I tried it.  I was not poisoned.  I also had no joy.  It is a chain BBQ place that fits in perfectly in suburban hell.

Small world. I'll be in Vacaville in 3 weeks for a wedding. And no I won't be eating at the Dickey's.

Also the last time I was there my friends took me to a Mexican restaurant called Chevy's. I ordered Queso to start and they looked at me cross-eyed. Apparently they don't serve Queso there. I was appalled! 

Small world. I'll be in Vacaville in 3 weeks for a wedding. And no I won't be eating at the Dickey's.

Also the last time I was there my friends took me to a Mexican restaurant called Chevy's. I ordered Queso to start and they looked at me cross-eyed. Apparently they don't serve Queso there. I was appalled! 

That's odd.  They have it on their menu.

It took this city long enough to realize how much art brings things to life. Very excited that more monies will be distributed to promote artwork throughout the city.

Wait till you see the sculpture going up at Main and Walker.

Its going to be amazing!

• Like 4

Updates on the map I put together.

22558451552_a23dc7b049_b.jpg

Morningside Thai is now open, but only for lunch.  They have a cafeteria model, but no interior signage yet indicating what comes with a meal, how much it costs, etc.  I imagine they will work out the kinks soon.

For Lease signs have gone back up in the two club spaces on the 100 block of Main, as well as the Sweeny Building at 301 Main.  Big new rumor from an insider - Benjy's apparently picked up the space where Mia Bella formerly resided.  That would be cool.

• Like 7