Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

The Houston Downtown Management District and Weingarten Art Group are seeking submissions for temporary art installations above the dollar store on Main and Walker. The space is 40x60 feet. This seems to be the first of many public art projects to be launched before the NCAA tournament and super bowl. Should be beneficial to the corner but not as beneficial as actually getting rid of the dollar store.

http://weingartenartgroup.com/request-for-submissions-artwork-designs-for-main-street-marquee-in-houston-texas/

• Like 3

Well with all of the discussion I decided to make Christian's my destination for lunch today.

I spent the morning taking pictures around the city and did a lot of walking.

I met one of the owners Zack and general manager Blake after lunch. it was almost 2:00

when I got in line to order. It was only about five people but still this was at 2:00.

There were maybe twenty people eating and having a good time.

I had the small cheese burger and fries and the burger was incredible. The fries were crisp and very good.

Zack said that he has been involved with bars in downtown since the mid nineties, with Power Tools and several other ventures.

Just to clarify this is on Congress and Fannin on the south side of Congress.

I asked Zack how the start of business went and whether it met their expectations.

First he made it clear that they wanted a soft opening without any fanfare so they could grow at a nice pace and be able to handle

the business as it grew. Which is a very savvy approach. I know from experience that if you can't handle the crush from a lot of advertising you hurt yourself more with unhappy customers that might be hesitant to come back.

Second he made it clear that they knew how to advertise and that would come. I know they sponsor Sports 610 at their four different

locations for live broadcasts and I can promise you that there will be no grass growing in the sidewalks around this sports bar ever.

Congratulations on an outstanding weekend.

Oh did I tell you they had the busiest weekend they have ever had at any location. So like I said before if you have a name around town for good food, fun and good service you can open anywhere if people live or work in the area.

• Like 4

Well with all of the discussion I decided to make Christian's my destination for lunch today.

I spent the morning taking pictures around the city and did a lot of walking.

I met one of the owners Zack and general manager Blake after lunch. it was almost 2:00

when I got in line to order. It was only about five people but still this was at 2:00.

There were maybe twenty people eating and having a good time.

I had the small cheese burger and fries and the burger was incredible. The fries were crisp and very good.

Zack said that he has been involved with bars in downtown since the mid nineties, with Power Tools and several other ventures.

Just to clarify this is on Congress and Fannin on the south side of Congress.

I asked Zack how the start of business went and whether it met their expectations.

First he made it clear that they wanted a soft opening without any fanfare so they could grow at a nice pace and be able to handle

the business as it grew. Which is a very savvy approach. I know from experience that if you can't handle the crush from a lot of advertising you hurt yourself more with unhappy customers that might be hesitant to come back.

Second he made it clear that they knew how to advertise and that would come. I know they sponsor Sports 610 at their four different

locations for live broadcasts and I can promise you that there will be no grass growing in the sidewalks around this sports bar ever.

Congratulations on an outstanding weekend.

Oh did I tell you they had the busiest weekend they have ever had at any location. So like I said before if you have a name around town for good food, fun and good service you can open anywhere if people live or work in the area.

Doesn't matter.  We all now know that if Burger King can't make it at that location, nobody can.  ;-)

Thanks for the informative report, bobruss.

• Like 5

Oh did I tell you they had the busiest weekend they have ever had at any location.

When I went on Sunday at 1pm only to find no place to sit, I must say that I really was shocked (and pleased). For them to have had the "busiest weekend ever" when compared to their other locations, they must have had a really good Saturday too.

I wish them much success. Opening just before football season was smart. Hopefully the trend will continue ...... But hopefully not too much more! I want a seat on a Sunday!

Think one of the recommendation that was part of the Downtown revitalize study was to repeal that ordinance, don't know if it ever came to be

Interesting.

So a business in downtown can't submit an on-premise sign permit application with the CoH like every other business in the city and county can?

I didn't know that.

I thought if they wanted to put one up they just needed a permit.

The District looks to be close to opening.  Furniture and signage is in place.  This is in the Chase garage building, across the street from the Rice and the new Hines tower at 609 Main.

21638164481_106c3bbe75_c.jpg

Still much work to be done inside Morningside Thai, but they are busting their asses and working on it late. Window decals are up.

21007965983_8d8a23dbea_c.jpg

• Like 6

The District looks to be close to opening.  Furniture and signage is in place.  This is in the Chase garage building, across the street from the Rice and the new Hines tower at 609 Main.

21638164481_106c3bbe75_c.jpg

Still much work to be done inside Morningside Thai, but they are busting their asses and working on it late. Window decals are up.

21007965983_8d8a23dbea_c.jpg

Is this from the District 7 Grill folks?

Went today with 6 co-workers. It was very busy; ordered at bar got our burgers in 10-15 minutes. Everyone loved the place, clean, TV's were on, parked one block away. Walked to the Chase Tower afterwards which probably burned one onion ring off.

This place doesn't need any luck or help - it's going to do great business. Plus it's right there off main, looks further on a map, walking outside you can easily see Hooneymooners, ect.

Good to go. Wish CT all the best.

Went today with 6 co-workers. It was very busy; ordered at bar got our burgers in 10-15 minutes. Everyone loved the place, clean, TV's were on, parked one block away. Walked to the Chase Tower afterwards which probably burned one onion ring off.

This place doesn't need any luck or help - it's going to do great business. Plus it's right there off main, looks further on a map, walking outside you can easily see Hooneymooners, ect.

Are you referring to The District?

Allison Cook of the Chronicle just reviewed Christian's Tailgate Downtown. You can read the review on chron.com, but it's not very good unfortunately. She graded their burger a D but said good things about the onion rings.

The District (or whatever it's called) across Main from 609 Main was pretty packed today.

I went during lunch.  They are on their "Sneak Peak" menu prior even to soft opening.  Needless to say, they are still learning here and the food could use a bit of work.  I have been to most of their locations though and they will clean it up.  Good build out of the interior.

Stopped by Moonshiners and Christians this past weekend. Moonshiners had a good crowd and seems to be doing fine. Christians was hoping on Sunday. Not a "sell out" like the first football Sunday that I stopped by a few weeks ago but still quite crowded....... The waitstaff was hustling beers and burgers routinely. Interestingly, on the beautiful weekend, no one was outside on the well appointed patio when I was there.

This Starbucks will be a good addition to the area. I personally wish it was not a Chain but a locally owned business going in here but, I can see that this will fit well with the convention crowd.

Christians Tail gate was busy Saturday in the early afternoon. In the lat afternoon Pastry War was a tad empty. Early evening Moonshiners was quite full.