Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

I checked out Christian's Tailgate last night. Looks promising. Tried getting a bite to eat, but it was actually full at the bar. Place had a strange smell though. Anyways, the fact that it is busy is a good thing I think.

I hope it works out, but sports bars have not done that well in the past in downtown. NFL games are only 20 or so Sundays a year maybe a few more games sprinkled in on weeknights? What's the sports going to do the rest of the year? Live had trouble with lunch time crowds.

But I won't be a Debbie downer. Like I said it looks promising. Big huge windows on congress (live was like a cave) nice patio, feels like part of the neighborhood.

What's the food like? I heard they have good burgers.

Yeah it's too bad we don't have professional sports teams in baseball and basketball, that would be another 162 games for MLB and 82 games for the NBA. An added bonus would be if those teams were competitive and made it to the playoffs, like the Western Conference finals, that would be even MORE games to watch at the bar.

But yeah, sucks Christians only has 16 games of football a year to draw people in. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Live sports bar is no Christian's Tailgate, not even close. Lives food sucked, the ambiance sucked and the service was terrible.

I knew someone was going to post this. I've seen a variation of this written in the downtown forum once or twice before.

(insert new business name) will do great in downtown because the (insert failed business name) that was nearby was horrible, etc.. This time it will be different...

Like I said I want it to be successful, this is my neighborhood.  But I also can't ignore the observations in my neighborhood either. Just off the top of my head that exact same location has been a burger king, subway, what else? Last time I checked those are pretty big corporations with lots of resources and businesses experience. The sports bar a block away is undergoing its what, 3rd? re-launch.

The biggest problem I can see for Christian's is the lack of noticability from the heavily traveled main street/market square area.  You don't really notice its there unless you're next to it.  A sidewalk sign might help - one that hangs out over the sidewalk - but those seem rare in downtown

• Like 1

I mean, just because everything there before has failed doesn't mean that what comes after definitely 100% will fail too. There's also the influx of residential and well-performing sports teams to help. 

Fair point. And like I said I think it looks promising.

I also like cspwal's idea of better signage.

• Like 2

I checked out Christian's Tailgate last night. Looks promising. Tried getting a bite to eat, but it was actually full at the bar. Place had a strange smell though. Anyways, the fact that it is busy is a good thing I think.

I hope it works out, but sports bars have not done that well in the past in downtown. NFL games are only 20 or so Sundays a year maybe a few more games sprinkled in on weeknights? What's the sports going to do the rest of the year? Live had trouble with lunch time crowds.

But I won't be a Debbie downer. Like I said it looks promising. Big huge windows on congress (live was like a cave) nice patio, feels like part of the neighborhood.

What's the food like? I heard they have good burgers.

I think the smell is from the rubber drain mats at the bar - they're brand new and I think they still smell like that.

There are more sports than football[citation needed] like Astros games, Dynamo games, and Rockets games.  And with more downtown nightlife and residents, having a place to watch sports is a good addition to the mix of bars.

I had the shrimp po-boy and it was good, while my girlfriend said the burger was good but didn't finish it.

There's only about 50ish days a year you can count on a bar bringing in people specifically because of sports, whether they are a sports bar, or just a bar with TVs.

yeah, there's 160something baseball games, football weekends (and weeknights) for 3 months, basketball, and all the college sports as well, but bringing in reliable business?

you can count on all the weekends in football season plus post season. you can count on march madness. you can count on basketball finals (and playoffs if home team is doing well, maybe some games leading up to as well). world series, and baseball post season really doesn't have that big of a draw (unless your team is in it), and soccer isn't reliable unless you market specifically to that crowd.

they need to have a draw, something to bring people in on off sports nights. trivia, karaoke, etc. or have really good, unique food. 

Edited by samagon

^^ Christian's Tailgate does all of these things at all of their other locations, karaoke every Friday and Saturday, bingo, trivia, ect. Also in the spring they'll have crawfish and other events. I've been going to the one in Midtown and the Heights for years and they're always doing extremely well. The downtown location will have an awesome patio area which will be a draw. I also feel it is a brand name locally now, especially inside the loop, so with the downtown work crowd, new apts nearby, and all of the bars nearby in the market square area, I see this being very successful.

Here's the link to the Facebook page for the downtown location and already has a bunch of favorable reviews.

https://www.facebook.com/christiansTailgate

• Like 1

There's only about 50ish days a year you can count on a bar bringing in people specifically because of sports, whether they are a sports bar, or just a bar with TVs.

yeah, there's 160something baseball games, football weekends (and weeknights) for 3 months, basketball, and all the college sports as well, but bringing in reliable business?

you can count on all the weekends in football season plus post season. you can count on march madness. you can count on basketball finals (and playoffs if home team is doing well, maybe some games leading up to as well). world series, and baseball post season really doesn't have that big of a draw (unless your team is in it), and soccer isn't reliable unless you market specifically to that crowd.

they need to have a draw, something to bring people in on off sports nights. trivia, karaoke, etc. or have really good, unique food. 

You do realize that all the other locations have done extremely well? And it's not just about sports, but good food at a good price, a place to go have a good beer, and that's not all... think about all the events this place has throughout the year along with karaoke

You do realize that all the other locations have done extremely well? And it's not just about sports, but good food at a good price, a place to go have a good beer, and that's not all... think about all the events this place has throughout the year along with karaoke

Just because their other locations have done well doesn't mean that this location will definitely 100% do well too.

Burger King did well in other locations but failed there.

Subway did well in other locations but failed there too.

just saying...

Comparing Christian's Tailgate to Burger King and Subway is pretty stupid. 

Just saying...

It's a popular local joint with a solid burger and a proven concept. The downtown location is even nicer than their Washington Avenue one and I can see it being exactly the type of place that can lure folks downtown. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't flourish. 

• Like 4

Its all about the product. I was in the restaurant and bar business for 17 years in another lifetime and a perfect example is

Barnaby's. They serve good food at reasonable prices and are very consistent and they are getting a good lunch crowd and are going to

be expanding their hours. They're in a location that has had several failures. Niko NIko's kills em in the park. Theres always a lot of people at Trebeards. All of these I just mentioned have to compete with restaurants in the tunnels and yet they still draw good

crowds even though their customers have to walk in the heat or rain or cold weather. If the food is good people will come. Remember

that when these new residential projects get on line these people will be street pedestrians and won't be going down in tunnels to find a place. This is going to change the face of downtown when all of the new housing get filled. These people won't have access to the

tunnels for the most part except during lunch. At some point down the road I predict that many of the restaurants and delis and shops

will see that they need a presence on the streets to take advantage of all of the people walking around at night. Probably not in my

lifetime but I promise you younger haifers won't believe how much of a change is going to happen. Its really an exciting time for

Houston's downtown.

• Like 5

Remember that when these new residential projects get on line these people will be street pedestrians and won't be going down in tunnels to find a place.

that's a big question mark. I hope you're right. But what's more likely is we have another One Park Place. Expensive rents that attract corporate apartments and or renters that keep an apartment in downtown, but don't actually live there. Not exactly people who are making that part of downtown a more vibrant neighborhood.

that's a big question mark. I hope you're right. But what's more likely is we have another One Park Place. Expensive rents that attract corporate apartments and or renters that keep an apartment in downtown, but don't actually live there. Not exactly people who are making that part of downtown a more vibrant neighborhood.

While it is likely true that there are some corporate renters or weekenders at OPP, trust me, a lot of the building is living there full time.

I went by there about an hour ago. I had plans at Hotel Icon but decided to swing by and take a look.

UT vs Cal game was on, so i was expecting a large crowd.

Nope.

Yes some people were there, but not like the other bars on Main Street and Congress. Patio was open but empty. All in all...ehhh.

Signage is going to be a must if this bar is going to survive.

post-3351-0-84392900-1442721645_thumb.jp

Edit. Pic attached this time.

Edited by 102IAHexpress

cspwal said it perfectally.

The biggest problem I can see for Christian's is the lack of noticability from the heavily traveled main street/market square area.  You don't really notice its there unless you're next to it.  A sidewalk sign might help - one that hangs out over the sidewalk - but those seem rare in downtown

The bar is kind of on a island compared to the other main street bars. Saturday night pub crawlers on the main street north/south pub crawl have to make a major diversion to get there. It's essentially by the courthouse.

On weekdays there is no diversion because travelers are naturally walking east/west to or from the courthouse. Thus the importance of catering to daytime lunch time crowds.

Does anyone remember if burger king and subway who both shared that same location closed in the evenings and weekends? I can't remember. Did they only cater to weekday lunch crowds?

I guess I don't understand.

Take a walk down Main Street. It is littered with the well-signed facades of failed bars and restaurants. Businesses fail or succeed based on their business model, niche, and execution. While I recognize that a good location is important, we are talking about 2 blocks from main here, not two miles.

I would also suggest that new retail businesses take time to establish themselves. Two weeks? come-on! There hasn't even been enough time for them to put together their first marketing campaign. Man, the patio isn't even finished! Perhaps in 6 months it will be a problematic failure or perhaps a huge success but, frankly, I find this discussion odd. Comparing the place to Burger King? Really? Suggesting it will fail because of a location two blocks off of main? Suggesting it will fail because the last two tenants (burger kind and subway) both failed? Under that logic, they should just level the building and turn it into a parking lot. Surely, no retail can ever work there.

Retail (and especially restaraunts/bars) is especially tough to make a go of. If Christians fails (and it might), the two block walk from main will likely be very low on the list as to why.

Personally, I am going again today and a number of my buddies that I mentioned the place to are also planing to go too.

• Like 3

Funny!

I went to Christians Downtown today at about 1pm. Football season, true. But, the place was SOLD OUT. There wasn't a chair at the bar or a single table available. Standing room only. The crowd was mostly in their 20's and early thirties. Lots of "Team" shirts to be seen on the men and women. Looks like word is already starting to spread (at least for game days). I took a pass and decided not to stand. I went over to flying saucer. On my walk, I passed a bunch of now defunct bars on Main (apparently the "best location") and walked into a half empty Flying Saucer. Better beer selection, but not as good food.

One man's experience today.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

Comparing the place to Burger King? Really? Suggesting it will fail because of a location two blocks off of main? Suggesting it will fail because the last two tenants (burger kind and subway) both failed? Under that logic, they should just level the building and turn it into a parking lot. Surely, no retail can ever work there.

Yes Burger King.

In a way Burger King and Subway had it easier. They have instant brand recognition.

Don't have to worry about alcohol and TABC, etc.

Don't have huge Comcast/Direct TV bills each month.

Have a proven business model that is profitable.

Proven system, that litterly 16 year olds can execute.

Resources of huge corporations.

etc,...

Yet, still failed at that location.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insane. So yes under that logic it may be better to use that space as something else. Maybe not a parking lot but some other industry besides retail. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes Burger King.

In a way Burger King and Subway had it easier. They have instant brand recognition.

Don't have to worry about alcohol and TABC, etc.

Don't have huge Comcast/Direct TV bills each month.

Have a proven business model that is profitable.

Proven system, that litterly 16 year olds can execute.

Resources of huge corporations.

etc,...

Yet, still failed at that location.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insane.......

Yes, it is. That's likely why McDonalds didn't open there.

The "same" thing is not a national fast food joint and a locally owned sports bar. Those are two "different" things. And, if the crowd today is any indication (and I will grant you that it may not be), your position may well prove to be very wrong. Or, perhaps it will be correct. The truth is, I don't know and, frankly, neither do you. The only thing that I know for certain is:

1) I like the place and

2) it was sold out today at 1pm.

• Like 2