Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

If memory serves moonshiners is a extension of prohibition( or at least from the same guys)

Moonshiners isn't the extension of Prohibition - that is supposed to go in the Prohibition basement and I don't remember the name of it.

Moonshiners is from the owners of Beer Market on Studemont.  They are a branch off of the ownership group behind a lot of the midtown bars (Pub Fiction, Celtic Gardens, Shot Bar,....etc.).

Moonshiners isn't the extension of Prohibition - that is supposed to go in the Prohibition basement and I don't remember the name of it.

Moonshiners is from the owners of Beer Market on Studemont.  They are a branch off of the ownership group behind a lot of the midtown bars (Pub Fiction, Celtic Gardens, Shot Bar,....etc.).

Are these people part of the OKRA group?  http://friedokra.org/about-okra

Edited by trymahjong

• 1 month later...

D'Amico, best known for his Rice Village staple D'Amico's Italian Market Cafe, told the HBJ that even though his latest project, Fellini Gelato & Caffee, is still under construction, he's already considering opening another location in downtown Houston.

“The city of Houston is doing developments around the George R. Brown Convention Center and the new (Marriott Marquis)… And we will probably do a Fellini’s Gelato & Caffee down there,” D’Amico said. “I’ve talked to Rice Village landlords, and we might also open a new Fellini Gelato in Rice Village."

Nash D'Amico considering to build a Fellini Gelato & Caffee in downtown houston

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/07/nash-damico-shares-new-rice-village-downtown.html

• Like 2

No, it's to the northeast of Barnaby's. Hence my confusion.

TKwc29O.png

Part of the confusion may arise from overlooking our collective municipal fiction that has Main Street running north and south through downtown, with its cross streets like Texas and Congress running east and west.  Think of it as one of Gale Borden's gifts to posterity.

• 2 weeks later...

The Salt N Pepper restaurant group that has opened such local concepts as Beer Market Co., The Moonshiners, Crisp, Pub Fiction and Celtic Gardens is planning a new restaurant on the first floor of downtown’s historic Sweeney, Coombs, & Fredericks building at 301 Main.

Designed and built by George E. Dickey in 1889, 301 Main is one of the last remaining Victorian-style structures in the city, according to Davis Commercial Real Estate, which was involved in a recent transfer of the property‘s leasehold interest.

Attorneys lease the top two floors of the three-story building that features a corner turret and arched-upper floor windows.

The building was developed for the Sweeney & Combs jewelry company, which moved across the street in 1890, according to the city of Houston preservation data. It was restored in the 1990s.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/07/restaurant-group-to-open-in-downtown-victorian/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• 2 weeks later...

I was walking on Main near Barringer Bar and saw a TABC license next door for "The Study." It is in the same building as the Houston photo studio, with the old "Beer Cellar" sign outside. I looked inside but did not see any renovations so far. Looks like a nice place, terrazzo floors and a elevated portion in the back. 

post-14294-0-21129900-1439138623_thumb.j

post-14294-0-20151400-1439138818_thumb.j

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

When I was downtown for the Green/Purple line opening a few months ago (Saturday around 7pm), almost every fast food (order-at-counder) restaurant I came across was closed for the evening/weekend.

Those places live on lunch (and breakfast) volume. It's not worth their while at the moment to serve the crowd downtown after lunch that are at the moment people visiting shows/sports and out of town business travelers. You're going to want a restaurant with booze for that crowd.

When I was downtown for the Green/Purple line opening a few months ago (Saturday around 7pm), almost every fast food (order-at-counder) restaurant I came across was closed for the evening/weekend.

Many of the fast food joints are closed on weekends as they cater to the M-F office worker. The fast food locations that are open on the weekends do a brisk business though and places like Pheonicia's takeout counters are packed. On the weekends, in addition to the fast food joints that are open, there are a large number of sit down restaurants and bars with full menus or partial menus available all over downtown.

The problem last time was I only had about $12 dollars on me. I ended up getting an inexpensive cheesecake at a full-service restaurant near Discovery Green so I wouldn't stiff my waiter on a tip. 

I should've had Subway when I was on Main St, but I didn't realize everything else would be closed. I know to eat there or bring more money next time.

The problem last time was I only had about $12 dollars on me. I ended up getting an inexpensive cheesecake at a full-service restaurant near Discovery Green so I wouldn't stiff my waiter on a tip.

I should've had Subway when I was on Main St, but I didn't realize everything else would be closed. I know to eat there or bring more money next time.

If you are over by discovery green and that happens again, cross the street to Pheonicia. You can feed yourself full with healthy (or unhealthy, for that matter) food on $12 or less. Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Murillo said he's excited to open downtown's La Fisheria at 213 Milam. The project is a big jump for the 65-seat restaurant. The new space, with 200 seats, is twice the size of the Inker store. Riveroll said she is unsure if she will keep the original Inker restaurant open once La Fisheria downtown opens.

When La Fisheria downtown opens it will offer live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday when it will keep later bar hours. The kitchen will be open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

They are saying November opening.  

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/La-Fisheria-readies-a-new-menu-before-its-move-6471751.php

Edited by adr

I am wondering what is up with a few places if anybody has any insight;

• Christian's Tailgate - I assumed they would have wanted to be open by Football season.
  • Live Sports Bar - Same - I still see them doing renovations but extremely slowly.  
  • Basement bar underneath Prohibition

I am wondering what is up with a few places if anybody has any insight;

• Christian's Tailgate - I assumed they would have wanted to be open by Football season.
  • Live Sports Bar - Same - I still see them doing renovations but extremely slowly.  
  • Basement bar underneath Prohibition

Walked by Christian's today. They are getting close. I could see TV's mounted and a guy was sweeping up the patio area.

• Like 2

It's limited to just the immediate surroundings of Market Square Park (and even then I should have zoomed out some, but here is a map of what's currently going on, in terms of new hospitality projects.

21063075165_476c5c641c_c.jpg

Here is the word on the street, starting at the top

TOC: They haven't had any events here in quite some time.  Someone apparently picked up the lease and started doing demo inside, but there isn't much evidence of work on that lately.  

New Developer:  The retail space in the Bayou Lofts (900 Franklin Ave) was recently closed on by a new developer who is actively courting big names for this space.  Sounds like they may have some success too.  (Shameless plug and full disclosure, my bar - the Houston Watch Co - sits on this block.  We are not affected by this transaction).  This developer also picked up the Topek Building, which is directly across from Spaghetti Warehouse on Commerce and has partly been integrated into the Bayou Lofts parking garage.  Really large space that could be anything really.

The Study:  Said to be a coffee shop and bar.  Going for the UHD crowd with that name?  Could be fun. Experienced ownership group that owns several other bars in Midtown and Washington Ave.

Dance Club: Same group as The Study.  A fun dance club in the Barbarella vein.

Thai - Regulars of ours who work in this building have been told that a Thai restaurant is moving into the old Macondo space.  I have seen vendors going in for refrigeration, etc.  No Timeline for open.

La Fisheria: I cannot spell, but this place should be great.

Salt & Pepper:  The Sweeny Building, which Salt and Pepper group is going to put a restaurant in.

Christian's Tailgate:  Needs no introduction

Live Sports:  People are clearly working in here, but they seem to be under no pressure to open before football season begins.

Spots highlighted in blue are vacant ground-floor retail that have the potential to be hospitality spaces, but of which I haven't heard anything about

Edited by adr
  • Like 4

oxheart group is looking at leasing a spot next door to public services for a casual food concept i believe. there's also a potential breakfast concept in the works for that block.

the bayou lofts group is a good one with excellent vision. the space has some incredibly cool existing features - very excited to see what they do there.

• Like 2