Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

There was a neighborhood meeting with the City and Houston First, etc about 6 months ago to generate ideas for discovery green, GRB, etc. this was one of the ideas. The key is to have both morning and evening service on this otherwise dead corner. Looks like a terrific concept!

Edited by UtterlyUrban

As of this past weekend, both Barringer and Bovine & Barley are now open.  Great spots.  One on the 400 and one on the 100 block of main.  Shameless plug - my place should be open in days.

Good luck, adr!  Remind us all again.  Is your bar called Houston Watch something-or-other?

What is the status of the Kor space..I don't see the application in the window anymore, and I never see anybody working on that 7 grill place or whatever it will be ca7

What is the status of the Kor space..I don't see the application in the window anymore, and I never see anybody working on that 7 grill place or whatever it will be ca7

Shamless plug:  The Houston Watch Co. is now open at 913 Franklin St., between Travis and Main.  Open seven days at 4pm.

16971708079_a408309f37_z.jpg

For the history buffs, we've got some details you might enjoy.  We purchased the Petroleum Club's humidor at auction (seen left) and will be using it to locker private bottles.  The floor tile is hand laid and original to when the building was built (1912).  We restored all of the woodwork you see, hand stripping off several layers of paint (most recently salmon pink!!).  We also have some cool prints of the original Watch Company in 1928 from the Story Sloan Gallery (upper right).  

16950813717_ba5f90e192_z.jpg

Upstairs we have a collection of the hand-drawn 1910 blueprints for the Southern Pacific Railroad Building.  We don't have an outside sign yet, but we're easy to find - just to the left of the Bayou Lofts lobby.  

17132271436_0d5b85189b_z.jpg

• Like 9

will you have signage?

Yes.  Getting a sign on the building takes a few steps.  First we'll need the approval of the Bayou Lofts Homeowner's Association to make a modification on the exterior of the building.  Second, we are in a Contributing Building in the Main Street Market Square Historic District, so we need to receive a Certificate of Appropriateness from the  city Planning and Development Department, which means a review and approval of the plans by the Houston Archeologic and and Historic Commission.  

We'll need to get a sign operating permit from the Public Works department, and we plan to apply for a grant from Downtown Houston.  All of this seems straightforward enough, and now that we aren't working on the inside, we plan to work on the exterior.  

In the meantime, think of us as a well kept secret.

• Like 1

Yes.  Getting a sign on the building takes a few steps.  First we'll need the approval of the Bayou Lofts Homeowner's Association to make a modification on the exterior of the building.  Second, we are in a Contributing Building in the Main Street Market Square Historic District, so we need to receive a Certificate of Appropriateness from the  city Planning and Development Department, which means a review and approval of the plans by the Houston Archeologic and and Historic Commission.  

We'll need to get a sign operating permit from the Public Works department, and we plan to apply for a grant from Downtown Houston.  All of this seems straightforward enough, and now that we aren't working on the inside, we plan to work on the exterior.  

In the meantime, think of us as a well kept secret.

adr, Does Houston Watch Co. have a Twitter handle or Facebook account?  I'd like to tell my friends about it.

adr, Does Houston Watch Co. have a Twitter handle or Facebook account?  I'd like to tell my friends about it.

Yes!  

Twitter: @houstonwatchco

Facebook: facebook.com/HoustonWatchCo

www.houstonwatchcompany.com

Thanks for spreading the word!

• 1 month later...

La Fisheria's relocation will be to the vacant restaurant space next door to Barnaby's (immediately to the West). Market Square is quickly becoming one of the most exciting nighttime destinations in The H.

Is Fusion Taco gone?  I had been guessing La Fisheria would be moving into Green Street (like where the book store used to be.)

Edited by Houston19514

La Fisheria's relocation will be to the vacant restaurant space next door to Barnaby's (immediately to the West). Market Square is quickly becoming one of the most exciting nighttime destinations in The H.

Next door? Next door to Barnaby would be east.

Anyone heard or seen anything else regarding Christian's Tailgate?

lol i asked them via facebook on Friday as I am waiting for this location also... here was their response.

"we are about a month away from opening. We are waiting on some permits to continue our construction. See you all soon!! We are excited. Please help spread the word!"

• Like 1

lol i asked them via facebook on Friday as I am waiting for this location also... here was their response.

"we are about a month away from opening. We are waiting on some permits to continue our construction. See you all soon!! We are excited. Please help spread the word!"

YES!!!  :D

I happened to walk by a sign for what looks like a new restaurant/bar (the sign says "Southern Table & Bar) next door to Prohibition last night (corner of Main and Prairie) called The Moonshiners last night. I didn't see anything about it on here yet...

Edited by asubrt