Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

Dunno - they're acting a bit entitled.  Last weekend they had the sidewalk completely blocked and roped off, and they've repeatedly hijacked what are public street slots for their valet.  They were about to tow my car a few weeks ago, even though it had been there well before the valets set up and no signs were posted (as is required), finally "allowing" me to park in their lot for only $5.  I only found out because a passer by walked into Carafe to tell the bartender that his car was about to be towed.  Perhaps such things are appealing to the doucheoisie.

The good news is that they at least fixed the roof to where it no longer sends a waterfall to the sidewalk during every rain.

Dunno - they're acting a bit entitled. Last weekend they had the sidewalk completely blocked and roped off, and they've repeatedly hijacked what are public street slots for their valet. They were about to tow my car a few weeks ago, even though it had been there well before the valets set up and no signs were posted (as is required), finally "allowing" me to park in their lot for only $5. I only found out because a passer by walked into Carafe to tell the bartender that his car was about to be towed. Perhaps such things are appealing to the doucheoisie.

The good news is that they at least fixed the roof to where it no longer sends a waterfall to the sidewalk during every rain.

"they've repeatedly hijacked what are public street slots for their valet."

1) what establishment are we talking about here?

2) can you explain your statement? Are you saying that public parking along the street has been blocked off or forbidden (in some manner) by whatever establishment you you are referring to? I did not know this was a legal practice! Please help me understand.

As with adr, I was talking about Henke & Pillot.

And yes, their contracted valets are blocking off public parking on the street and threatening towing, which is NOT legal unless one has a permit and posts signs.  They sometimes have a short term permit, but not always, and I've yet to see a sign.

They've had permits for the valet slots at some times.  However, they also continued to block off the street parking after the permit expired.  They have no monopoly on this practice - some of the downtown valet companies get really abusive.

In any event, they're also pretty slack on putting up the required signage.

Just this very evening, the valets were waving people off from open spots ACROSS THE DANGED STEET so that they could valet cars there.  

FWIW, they have a garage or parking lot to use.

Starting out, I would have gone in to Henke & Pillot just to check it out. Now, nahhhhhhh... 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the burlesque place didn't make it. Oh well.

Why would you think that?

From the linked article:  "Joining the fray along with The Moonshiners, rumored bar from Wooster's Garden owners across the street, Barringer, and next door neighbor Prohibition Supperclub & Bar's forthcoming adjacent beer garden."

Prohibition Supper Club is next door to this new bar and apparently is planning an adjacent bar garden.  (I wonder where, exactly, Prohibition will be putting a beer garden?)  Edit:  Found it.  They (the Prohibition people) have always planned a beer garden and "food conservatory" in the basement.  I had presumed beer garden meant outdoors.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Why would you think that?

From the linked article:  "Joining the fray along with The Moonshiners, rumored bar from Wooster's Garden owners across the street, Barringer, and next door neighbor Prohibition Supperclub & Bar's forthcoming adjacent beer garden."

Prohibition Supper Club is next door to this new bar and apparently is planning an adjacent bar garden.  (I wonder where, exactly, Prohibition will be putting a beer garden?)  Edit:  Found it.  They (the Prohibition people) have always planned a beer garden and "food conservatory" in the basement.  I had presumed beer garden meant outdoors.

Prohibition is still open, still doing shows.

I thought it was a separate standalone establishment in the space the article mentioned, clearly I need to do more research on the Burlesque place.

The new Barringer Bar, located at 108 Main in the former Club Next space, had a private event last night.  The space, which is finished but not yet decorated, is long and narrow, featuring a very fine looking wood bar on the left wall, and a DJ stand further back on the right. It's a good size and consistent, capacity-wise, with the 300 Main trend of smaller bars vs larger clubs.  I was told they are on track for a March opening and are keeping the Barringer name.

So, soon on the 100 block of Main there will be one bar plus the existing bail bond shop, with two fairly turn-key bar spaces (Beer Cellar, Copa Cabana) waiting to be picked up - all within sight of the renovated Sunset Coffee Building.  Interesting times.    

Edited by adr

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into a guy with a ladder coming out of the former Clutch City Squire last night.  

With all the construction you really need to watch out around downtown these days.  I'm glad it sounds like nobody wuz hurt.  :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Expanding into downtown soon is Christian's Tailgate, the burger-centric sports bar with locations in Midtown, the Heights, Washington Avenue and the Energy Corridor, which opened last December. The sports bar unveiled a picture of an alcohol license application posted on a window at 1012 Congress, alerting Facebook fans of its impending arrival:

11081275_10155360039980440_7427662096302

http://houston.eater.com/2015/3/19/8260043/christians-tailgates-opening-downtown

• Like 2

This is good news. You're getting a brand downtown that people are familiar with that they might actually go out of their way to get to.

Agreed.  Also, a good hamburger is not as easy to find downtown as one might think.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. Bovine and Barley to open next month at 416 Main St. Rendering in the link.

Who: Michael Collins (The Refinery Burgers and Whiskey and The Fish) and Jason Lowery (Proof Rooftop Lounge)
What: The two-story bar and eatery will feature a menu heavy on meats (burgers, ribs, meatloaf muffins) and snacks (corn fritters, deep-fried apples), along with 42 beers on tap and six draft cocktails.
When: Early April
Where: 416 Main St.

https://www.zagat.com/b/houston/the-23-most-anticipated-houston-restaurant-openings-of-spring-2015

PHOTO2.jpg

PHOTO3.jpg

https://youtu.be/UK3Eizmq-V8

New Starbucks concept at the Hilton Americas

Officials with Houston First Corporation and Hilton Americas-Houston hotel have announced they will convert a portion of the hotel’s ground-floor lobby into what is expected to become one of the largest coffee outlets in Texas.

Houston First has entered into a license agreement with Starbucks Coffee to sell the Seattle-based company’s product in 4,000 square feet in the northeast corner of the hotel lobby.

"We believe this new, vast Starbucks will draw not only Hilton guests, but locals who work and play in the area," said Ric Campo, chairman of Houston First. "It will appeal to a wide range of tastes and become a fantastic addition to the ever-developing food and beverage options in the Convention District."

Hilton Americas-Houston will be one of the first locations in Texas to have Starbucks Evenings service. After 4 p.m., a selection of wine, beer, appetizer-type food and desserts will be offered for sale.

The deal also allows for the sale of the coffee giant’s new premium product called Starbucks Reserve®, which is available in limited locations in Houston. It is small-lot coffee selected by Starbucks, roasted in Seattle then delivered to select retail outlets and brewed for individual orders.

Hilton Americas-Houston general manager Joe Palmieri said hotel guests will enjoy all the benefits of the new coffee location and only minimally inconvenienced by its construction.

"While construction will be significant, this will not be a messy teardown nor a dusty build-out," said Palmieri. "It will be business as usual at the Hilton Americas for the next six to seven months. The final product will feature both indoor and outdoor seating to complement a pedestrian-friendly environment."

Dawn Ullrich, president and CEO of Houston First, said the new Starbucks will be another amenity to the neighborhood surrounding the George R. Brown Convention Center.

"It is significant that it will have signage on the Hilton façade and exterior-facing doors so that visitors will know it’s there," Ullrich said. "We are also replacing the glazing on the windows facing Discovery Green. This will allow passers-by on the sidewalk to see the interior footprint and create more interactive pedestrian experience.

"This is the same approach we used when the Pappasito’s Cantina was added at the other end of the hotel with exterior signs and a patio. We are integrating what is taking place inside the Hilton and the GRB with what is taking place outside."

Presently, the Houston First team is working to attract as many as seven restaurants, cafes and other retail options to the GRB, where they too will be accessible to the public at the street level.

http://www.houstonconventiondistrict.com/

Edited by Mab
  • Like 3