Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

Oh, one more thing......

Downtown freakin' rocks. If you are reading this and if you don't live here now, by this time next year, you will begging to get in to this club. Yep. 20-years ago, you would have been begging too.... Begging to keep your wallet from the mugger...... Now, downtown is hip, vibrant, youthful, and has the lowest rate of crime in the whole city.

Come on, folks! We'll let you in, I promise!

• Like 1

That's funny.

Reading these posts are a complete surprise to me. The last few times  I've gone downtown on a Friday or Saturday night (a night where I'd expect the most attendance), it's been dead as a doorknob. I smh in disbelief each time over how downtown, although is shaping up with new amenitites and urban structures like Green Street, it's a mere shadow of its former self of the Main Street activity from the mid 00's.

That's funny.

Reading these posts are a complete surprise to me. The last few times  I've gone downtown on a Friday or Saturday night (a night where I'd expect the most attendance), it's been dead as a doorknob. I smh in disbelief each time over how downtown, although is shaping up with new amenitites and urban structures like Green Street, it's a mere shadow of its former self of the Main Street activity from the mid 00's.

Have you been to the 300 block of Main? Because there's tons of places on the block alone and the area tends to be reasonably busy. 

Admittedly, these are bars, not clubs, so the vibe is very different from the scene in the mid '00s. 

Not sure that's a bad thing though.

• Like 2

That's funny.

That is surprising. I can't even go to some of my favorite spots on a Friday / Saturday night because there are lines to get in (Bad News Bar) or it is too packed and takes forever to get a drink (OKRA).

That is surprising. I can't even go to some of my favorite spots on a Friday / Saturday night because there are lines to get in (Bad News Bar) or it is too packed and takes forever to get a drink (OKRA).

Or you can't:

Get a table at Hearsay without a reservation and they are all booked anyway.

Sit outside at Botanga on a pleasant night

Find a spot mid-week at The Grove

Get a table with out a reservation at Vic and Anthony's mid week and often on Saturday nights.

Find space for 6 at Honeymoon for Sunday brunch.

Get into Hardrock without a wait on a Friday or Saturday night

Go anywhere near HOB or bayou place if you don't want to be around crowds.

Downtown is about to explode.

I like the activity, but wish there were more dive bars and live music places. My band used to have some fun shows at Dean's and now Dean's is a swanky bar. I think Downtown bars would have more staying power if they made Main like a 6th Street instead of clubs and restaurants opening only to close a couple years later. We need more live music in these places!

• Like 1

I like the activity, but wish there were more dive bars and live music places. My band used to have some fun shows at Dean's and now Dean's is a swanky bar. I think Downtown bars would have more staying power if they made Main like a 6th Street instead of clubs and restaurants opening only to close a couple years later. We need more live music in these places!

That is a really interesting point.

Now that I have considered it, having a nice soft jazz bar, a bar that had acoustic bands, some (perhaps like Pete's) piano bars, maybe a classical bar, and even a rock bar or two would be nice.

• Like 1

I feel like it be a good idea to make a discussion forum about news/development on downtown Houston restaurants 

I will start with this news

Q: Do you have anything new planned for Houston restaurant-wise?

A: We're looking for a Saltgrass location downtown. And I'll be moving Willie G's and opening a Mastro's in 2016.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-billionaire-plans-expansion-even-as-5917677.php

• Like 3

From today's walk to lunch. 

809 Congress has been painted.  Interior looks largely complete except for the floors.

15751929278_9b2ddc0830_z.jpg809 Congress by differentryana, on Flickr

The retail space below the Hermann Lofts, formerly Macondo, is getting torn out.  Reliable sources indicate this will be a Subway.  Two in a two block radius.  Downtown Houston has finally arrived.

15752081300_ff374229b1_z.jpgHermann Lofts retail. by differentryana, on Flickr

Shameless plug - my own bar, the Houston Watch Co, will open in the old Franklin St. Coffee House space adjacent to the Bayou Lofts lobby in early 2015.

15753620507_65c04e7bc7_z.jpgHouston Watch Co. by differentryana, on Flickr

• Like 7

congratulations upon obtaining this wonderful spot as per your forthcoming bar HOUSTON WATCH CO our pal adr!  however, what's with the very odd title?  wouldn't you prefer something chic that actually pertains to a bar per se... just asking?

since i actually live downtown houston, i am quite acquainted with the quirky bar / establishment names etc.  however, HOUSTON WATCH COMPANY just does not make one think of lively libations.. other than wonderful timepieces.  i want you and yours to be truly successful.. and i love that you chose downtown, just make certain that your overall product is remarkable... and that you ensure that the word BAR is prominently added to your moniker...

cheers_intro_logo.png

• Like 1

since i actually live downtown houston, i am quite acquainted with the quirky bar / establishment names etc.  however, HOUSTON WATCH COMPANY just does not make one think of lively libations.. other than wonderful timepieces.  i want you and yours to be truly successful.. and i love that you chose downtown, just make certain that your overall product is remarkable... and that you ensure that the word BAR is prominently added to your moniker...

Public Services doesn't either.  Moving Sidewalk.  Pastry War.  

That was an El Tiempo hybrid restaurant in the early 2000's. Didn't last very long. Its interesting how we go through these cycles. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's this part of town was going crazy. There were restaurants and bars opening all of the time. It was pretty incredible to see so many people downtown most nights of the week and especially weekends. I was running Cabo's at night just across the street at the other end of Prairie and Travis. The Mercury room was going great and the dancing Marlin,Soleros, State Bar, along with several others in the Rice, Tryst, Deans, the Black Cat, along with all of the bars on the square and several on the north end of downtown that I can't even remember all of their names. And then everyone moved to Washington Avenue. Now they're back but more solid bars and restaurants seem to be hanging on. It will be interesting who has staying power, and how long before  the next cycle and where the new scene will take place. Trust me its always moving from Richmond to Shepherd plaza to Downtown to Washington to Midtown,and back to downtown. Wouldn't be surprised to see it jump over to Eado with all of the old warehouses. They already have several bars, and many more residents now. with the proximity to the super bowl parties at the Convention center it would be a natural.

That was an El Tiempo hybrid restaurant in the early 2000's. Didn't last very long. Its interesting how we go through these cycles. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's this part of town was going crazy. There were restaurants and bars opening all of the time. It was pretty incredible to see so many people downtown most nights of the week and especially weekends. I was running Cabo's at night just across the street at the other end of Prairie and Travis. The Mercury room was going great and the dancing Marlin,Soleros, State Bar, along with several others in the Rice, Tryst, Deans, the Black Cat, along with all of the bars on the square and several on the north end of downtown that I can't even remember all of their names. And then everyone moved to Washington Avenue. Now they're back but more solid bars and restaurants seem to be hanging on. It will be interesting who has staying power, and how long before the next cycle and where the new scene will take place. Trust me its always moving from Richmond to Shepherd plaza to Downtown to Washington to Midtown,and back to downtown. Wouldn't be surprised to see it jump over to Eado with all of the old warehouses. They already have several bars, and many more residents now. with the proximity to the super bowl parties at the Convention center it would be a natural.

Agreed.

"Bar scenes" tend to move in trends. What is needed downtown is not "trendy" bars but rather some establishments that have more staying power like, say, hearsay or maybe honeymoon cafe. Bars open and close..... "Neighborhood pubs" have more staying power.

Agreed.

"Bar scenes" tend to move in trends. What is needed downtown is not "trendy" bars but rather some establishments that have more staying power like, say, hearsay or maybe honeymoon cafe. Bars open and close..... "Neighborhood pubs" have more staying power.

True.  

Which is why Warren's and La Carafe have both been around for decades - from before Market Square was hot and fashionable in the '60s, through the valley of the '80s, and on into today.

There's going to be more staying power for more places, though, as more and more people actually live downtown.  My experience is that singles and couples living in a smaller place within an easy walk will often treat the neighborhood places like an extension of their living rooms.

Exactly and that is why all of the efforts to get more people living downtown is really going to help the restaurant and neighborhood pubs survive. Also it will help to create more of a street life since the tunnels aren't open at night and they don't exist in many areas where housing is going in. I'm personally interested in seeing more gfr in these areas. There's plenty of empty retail spaces that will slowly be repurposed once more of this housing opens.

While were talking restaurants and bars, does anyone remember Ruby Reds and Willies Pub.

They had great burgers and served unshelled peanuts. The floor was always covered with the shells.

We used to play down there in the 70's