Jump to content
downtownian

Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene - More Coming

Recommended Posts

I agree with that; I just don't agree with your assessment that Lucienne is part of the problem. Part of that might just be my hope that Lucienne will actually be a good restaurant, rather than *just* a hotel restaurant. Oxbow 7 is open nights a week, and I think the food is mediocre and overpriced. That's one thing Downtown does not need any more of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I agree with that; I just don't agree with your assessment that Lucienne is part of the problem. Part of that might just be my hope that Lucienne will actually be a good restaurant, rather than *just* a hotel restaurant. Oxbow 7 is open nights a week, and I think the food is mediocre and overpriced. That's one thing Downtown does not need any more of. 

Might have to do with the fact that Caswell is no longer running Oxbow 7, or maybe he wasn't getting the job done and got the axe, with no improvement since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who sometimes gets tasked with laying out downtown food options to visitors who are sick to death of hotel food, I'm finding that it's much easer to make those recommendations now than it was in the past.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mollusk said:

As someone who sometimes gets tasked with laying out downtown food options to visitors who are sick to death of hotel food, I'm finding that it's much easer to make those recommendations now than it was in the past.

 

I think this is the important thing.

 

Eating in downtown at night and on weekends, you aren't wanting for options as you would have in the past. 

 

And it's going to continue getting easier.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was fast.  It ought to be an easy approval, since it's a black awning replacing Fusion Taco's orange one.  

 

Let's hope that the service is less weird.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 3:25 PM, Triton said:

Gotta say, I really enjoy the new Boomtown Coffee location where Honeymoon used to be. I know a lot of people are upset it's less of a bar and more of a casual place to relax, but I have to admit, me and my fiance like it. We pulled open our laptops and got stuff done. Wi-fi strength was great, plus the coffee had to have been among the best I've had in Houston.

 

We have plenty of bars on N Main but we don't have that many late night coffee places (which also happen to serve alcohol).

 

It is still solid but Honeymoon was more of a cafe with table service then a bar.  The coffee is the same with the same people making it so that hasn’t changed.  Really it went from a cafe with a bar to a fast casual coffee shop with a bar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly the Shops at Houston Center seems to be having a terrible time getting tenants.  Places just keep closing, and nothing is taking their places.  On the flier posted by Urbannizer above, at least 6 of the listed tenants are no longer open, and 5 of those were restaurants (Radio Shack being the only non-restaurant, and I don't count that against the Shops because that's a nationwide issue).  In addition to those most recent vacancies, I can think of 3 other restaurant spaces in the food court that closed in recent years and have still not been replaced.  Building management even temporarily covered up two of the vacant spaces with drywall to make their closures less obvious.

 

Does anyone know why the Shops is having so much trouble keeping tenants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, rechlin said:

Sadly the Shops at Houston Center seems to be having a terrible time getting tenants.  Places just keep closing, and nothing is taking their places.  On the flier posted by Urbannizer above, at least 6 of the listed tenants are no longer open, and 5 of those were restaurants (Radio Shack being the only non-restaurant, and I don't count that against the Shops because that's a nationwide issue).  In addition to those most recent vacancies, I can think of 3 other restaurant spaces in the food court that closed in recent years and have still not been replaced.  Building management even temporarily covered up two of the vacant spaces with drywall to make their closures less obvious.

 

Does anyone know why the Shops is having so much trouble keeping tenants?

 

It might be related to the recent change of ownership.  I believe they are making plans for substantial changes to the complex, so they may not be renewing leases or seeking new tenants for the time being.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, rechlin said:

Sadly the Shops at Houston Center seems to be having a terrible time getting tenants.  Places just keep closing, and nothing is taking their places.  On the flier posted by Urbannizer above, at least 6 of the listed tenants are no longer open, and 5 of those were restaurants (Radio Shack being the only non-restaurant, and I don't count that against the Shops because that's a nationwide issue).  In addition to those most recent vacancies, I can think of 3 other restaurant spaces in the food court that closed in recent years and have still not been replaced.  Building management even temporarily covered up two of the vacant spaces with drywall to make their closures less obvious.

 

Does anyone know why the Shops is having so much trouble keeping tenants?

There are increasing options elsewhere for the weekday lunch crowd that aren't in an outdated mall-style food court next to outdated retailers. "The shops" needs to be gutted and re-purposed into something that will attract more than just the lunch-crowd. Its proximity to DG and the downtown "retail corridor" on Dallas make it a prime location to integrate both and really tie together that portion of downtown. I know there are 3 food/chef halls opening within the year, but a Indoor/Outdoor concept with greenery, food stalls, and a farmers market would do well here. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my opinion, but the issue I see with the Shops is the design and the average pedestrian has no clue what's inside, similar to the Houston Pavilions/Greenstreet, because it is enclosed. I've lived downtown since 2016 and haven't been inside since I worked on a project nearby back in 2014, but I frequent many restaurants that are open to the street all over downtown as I'm walking by. Pappa Bros Steakhouse is always packed in the evenings and is located in the same building as The Shops, but its at the ground level and open to the street.

 

I LOVE the fact that 5 Houston Center is re-purposing this corner into a nice restaurant and patio. Hopefully this trend continues with buildings downtown as the residential population and other activity increases.

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

It might be related to the recent change of ownership.  I believe they are making plans for substantial changes to the complex, so they may not be renewing leases or seeking new tenants for the time being.

 

That's correct 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

It might be related to the recent change of ownership.  I believe they are making plans for substantial changes to the complex, so they may not be renewing leases or seeking new tenants for the time being.

I feel sorry for the tenants whose leases haven't yet expired. There are few places more depressing than a dying 80's shopping mall, and I doubt that this is what they expected when they signed on to the place.
My ignorance of real estate contracts and economics notwithstanding, I wish the developers could have just torn the Band-Aid off, bought out the leases, shuttered the place, and commenced with the renovations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Treebeards will start serving lunch on Saturday’s now.

 

“NEWS FLASH HOUSTON: Treebeards Market Square is open on Saturdays!! 
Starting May 4th, our doors will be open for all of our Treebeards’ customers and friends from 11:00AM- 2:30PM.“

 

Facebook Link:

 

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Nole23 said:

Treebeards will start serving lunch on Saturday’s now.

 

“NEWS FLASH HOUSTON: Treebeards Market Square is open on Saturdays!! 
Starting May 4th, our doors will be open for all of our Treebeards’ customers and friends from 11:00AM- 2:30PM.“

 

Facebook Link:

 

You know downtown is getting busy when Treebeards opens on Saturdays

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You know downtown is getting busy when Treebeards opens on Saturdays

 

Good news. Next they can really split the atom and open up at night.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Good news. Next they can really split the atom and open up at night.

 

Or maybe even Sundays 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm seeing Shake Shack's arrival as the tipping point.  It's something of a draw in it's own right but still necessitates a critical mass of foot traffic. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I'm seeing Shake Shack's arrival as the tipping point.  It's something of a draw in it's own right but still necessitates a critical mass of foot traffic. 

 

I completely forgot they were coming downtown, that's a huge improvement over whatever is currently at the location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I'm seeing Shake Shack's arrival as the tipping point.  It's something of a draw in it's own right but still necessitates a critical mass of foot traffic. 

 

3 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

 

I completely forgot they were coming downtown, that's a huge improvement over whatever is currently at the location.



Shake Shack is in downtown already inside Minute Maid Park.

The one on Main will be their second downtown Houston location, but will be a stand alone restaurant that's open to the public and not attendees of Minute Maid Park.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

 

I completely forgot they were coming downtown, that's a huge improvement over whatever is currently at the location.

 

It was a Brown Bag Deli, which isn't bad, but is strictly a lunch for office drones like nate99 type of a place, they moved to underneath 919 Milam, over by Becks Prime. 

 

A 7 day/week, open nights and weekends type popular franchise/concept displacing the five day, three-hour spot on Main is what the city needs more of. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

 



Shake Shack is in downtown already inside Minute Maid Park.

The one on Main will be their second downtown Houston location, but will be a stand alone restaurant that's open to the public and not attendees of Minute Maid Park.

 

Clearly doesn't count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

 

Clearly doesn't count.


It does count when Shake Shack lists Minute Maid as one of their Houston locations. Also counts when news website include Shake Shack Minute Maid into the total count of locations in Houston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but that's not really "Downtown." It's inside Minute Maid Field explicitly for people attending an event there. It *is* a Shake Shack in Houston, but it's not actually generally accessible to people living and working Downtown.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:


It does count when Shake Shack lists Minute Maid as one of their Houston locations. Also counts when news website include Shake Shack Minute Maid into the total count of locations in Houston. 

Torchy's Tacos advertises their Minute Maid location as their downtown location

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Yeah but that's not really "Downtown." It's inside Minute Maid Field explicitly for people attending an event there. It *is* a Shake Shack in Houston, but it's not actually generally accessible to people living and working Downtown.


Minute Maid is in downtown . Saying Shake Shack, located in Minute Maid is not a downtown location is wrong. The website and the company itself claims the Minute Maid location as downtown. It's a point pushed when the location opened and the company flooded local news with press releases to write about their expansion to downtown. 

The fact that it is in Minute Maid does not take away that it one of their downtown locations. The difference here, is the Shake Shack under construction on Main will be open to the everyone, not limited to Minute Maid ticket holders. This is not hard to comprehend. 


 

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Torchy's Tacos advertises their Minute Maid location as their downtown location


Exactly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not hard to comprehend, but it's also not hard to comprehend that whether or not a business is generally open to the public is a meaningful distinction. Yes, this location is physically downtown, but it is entirely irrelevant to the actual Downtown restaurant and bar scene. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, skwatra said:

https://torchystacos.com/locations/

MMP is not listed.

 

When I'm downtown looking for a meal, buying an astros ticket isn't on my list.

 

anyways, i hope Shake Shack is open 7 days a week late in to the night.


No, duh. 

The fact remains, this will be their second downtown location. So, they aren't arriving in downtown Houston (a statement someone wrote above) if they've already been in downtown Houston for a few years inside Minute Maid Park.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Texasota said:

It's not hard to comprehend, but it's also not hard to comprehend that whether or not a business is generally open to the public is a meaningful distinction. Yes, this location is physically downtown, but it is entirely irrelevant to the actual Downtown restaurant and bar scene. 



It must be hard to comprehend. Because clearly this will be Shake Shack's second downtown Houston location. A fact you continue to want to ignore and them have the balls to say Minute Maid Park is not downtown as to make your point as fact.

So, again for those in the back:

Shake Shack under construction on Main will be the company's SECOND downtown location. The one on Main will be full-service and doesn't require a ticket to access the restaurant. That's the difference. But the fact is this will be their second downtown Houston location.

Not hard to grasp.

over it whatever GIF by Originals
 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, i read the discussion. the fact you keep pointing out is not relevant to the intent of this thread.

i'm looking forward to having an accessible shake shake downtown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is pedantry at its most obnoxious. This is not my favorite side of you Crockpot.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:



It must be hard to comprehend. Because clearly this will be Shake Shack's second downtown Houston location. A fact you continue to want to ignore and them have the balls to say Minute Maid Park is not downtown as to make your point as fact.


 

 

What I actually said: "Yes, this location is physically downtown, but it is entirely irrelevant to the actual Downtown restaurant and bar scene."

 

I know this is the internet, but I really hope this isn't how you talk to people in real life. This is bizarrely rude and over the top for what should be a relatively mild disagreement. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suspect (s)he is on the spectrum.

 

A restaurant open 81 days a year that requires an admission ticket qualifies as a real “location”?

 

Do they even serve the full menu? Is it staffed by Aramark? I’d say those are pretty relevant questions. As C&G says, “not hard to grasp.”

 

The above said, it’d be great if MMP was modified such that there were some street-level outlets open 365 days a year and closed to the public during games. There are plenty of examples of that.

 

If Shake Shack operated that way, then I’d consider it a “location.”

 

Great news re Treebeards!

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, thedistrict84 said:

@CrockpotandGravel, I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we greatly appreciate your contributions to this site, and I’m grateful for the information that you’re able to hunt down out of some far-flung places.

 

But dude . . . you need to relax a bit. I’ve seen so many recent posts of yours where you get bent out of shape about the smallest of things. Just let it go! 

 

On 5/6/2019 at 12:20 AM, mattyt36 said:

I suspect (s)he is on the spectrum.

 

A restaurant open 81 days a year that requires an admission ticket qualifies as a real “location”?

 

Do they even serve the full menu? Is it staffed by Aramark? I’d say those are pretty relevant questions. As C&G says, “not hard to grasp.”

 

The above said, it’d be great if MMP was modified such that there were some street-level outlets open 365 days a year and closed to the public during games. There are plenty of examples of that.

 

If Shake Shack operated that way, then I’d consider it a “location.”

 

Great news re Treebeards!


I'm a dude. Thank you.


And I'll let it go when y'all let it go.

And once more:

Shake Shack considers the Minute Maid location to be a real location, that's what matters since it is their company and their restaurant. So again, this Shake Shack on Main St will be their SECOND downtown Houston location.

And that's that on that.

james corden no GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, txtiger said:

This is news to me…:

 

https://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownAquariumHouston/promos/new-tiger-exhibit/

 

Am at least glad the animals will be able to get some vitamin D.

 

I think the real question is: are indoor tigers a “real” tiger location? Does downtown therefore currently have a tiger location or will it only have a tiger location once this outdoor pen is constructed?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, downtownian said:

 

I think the real question is: are indoor tigers a “real” tiger location? Does downtown therefore currently have a tiger location or will it only have a tiger location once this outdoor pen is constructed?

 

Our definition of locations doesn't matter, it only matters if the Aquarium considers it one or two locations.  If they call it a location on their website, that makes it true.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, downtownian said:

 

I think the real question is: are indoor tigers a “real” tiger location? Does downtown therefore currently have a tiger location or will it only have a tiger location once this outdoor pen is constructed?

I mean you have to pay for a ticket to get to the current tiger location

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counting a concession stand inside Minute Maid Park as one of the "many" restaurants in downtown is pretty ridiculous. However, a few posts back, some of you counted the AMC movie theatre as a restaurant. Just wondering if you guys still do, or if your thinking has evolved? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 2:34 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

Counting a concession stand inside Minute Maid Park as one of the "many" restaurants in downtown is pretty ridiculous. However, a few posts back, some of you counted the AMC movie theatre as a restaurant. Just wondering if you guys still do, or if your thinking has evolved? 

 

 

There's a hell of a lot of difference between a movie theater having a restaurant and bar open to the public, without requiring separate admission, every day of the week during lunch and dinner hours and a Shake Shack that's open 81 days a year for 5-hour blocks at most.

 

Your point otherwise?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

 

There's a hell of a lot of difference between a movie theater having a restaurant and bar open to the public, without requiring separate admission, every day of the week during lunch and dinner hours and a Shake Shack that's open 81 days a year for 5-hour blocks at most.

 

Your point otherwise?

 

What is the "restaurant" inside AMC 8 in downtown? Is beer, popcorn and soda a restaurant now? What's on the menu at AMC?

 

My point is I just simply want to know why  @CrockpotandGravel was attacked for his MMP restaurant claim, yet this forum was silent on the movie theatre "restaurant" claim just a few posts before.  What's the difference? At least Shake Shak at MMP has a hot grill and fryer. Is it that this forum is intellectually dishonest? You can answer yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...