Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene - More Coming

those patrols have been there, which new ones are you speaking of?

In the year we've been on Main our team has never seen them. It wasn't until this week that we've noticed the segway HPD officers.

I actually stopped one of them and the officer confirmed it was thier first week patrolling.

• Like 2
  • Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to a preview event here last week.  Food was great but what stood out for me was the views from the outdoor deck.  Cocktail hour is definitely going on the list for out-of-town guests.  

There's no such thing as "taco critical mass."

@CrockpotandGravel, I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we greatly appreciate your contributions to this site, and I’m grateful for the information that you’re able to hunt down out of s

Posted Images

Down the ways from El tiempo was h2o oxygen bar.  First experience with one of those was in Vegas.  El Tiempo transitioned to El Jefe Bar and later closed around the same time as a two story seafood restaurant on the corner that I can no longer remember the name of.  Dont forget grasshoppers, vault, m bar, and now the Roxy is closed as well. 

• Like 1

Down the ways from El tiempo was h2o oxygen bar.  First experience with one of those was in Vegas.  El Tiempo transitioned to El Jefe Bar and later closed around the same time as a two story seafood restaurant on the corner that I can no longer remember the name of.  Dont forget grasshoppers, vault, m bar, and now the Roxy is closed as well. 

^^^ why on earth are all of the aforementioned "bars" closing in lieu of the forthcoming SUPERBOWL?  shouldn't they all be upgrading / cleaning house / and repositioning themselves for what is undoubtedly going to be a financial gold mine??  what gives..... 

^^^ why on earth are all of the aforementioned "bars" closing in lieu of the forthcoming SUPERBOWL?  shouldn't they all be upgrading / cleaning house / and repositioning themselves for what is undoubtedly going to be a financial gold mine??  what gives..... 

This all happened a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2016/05/new-outdoor-bar-to-open-in-renovated-downtown.html

New outdoor bar to open in renovated downtown hotel

Part & Parcel, a new outdoor bar, is the latest element added to The Whitehall hotel downtown.

The Whitehall, at 1700 Smith St., previously was known as the Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, but it relaunched in April under its historic name after undergoing a $5 million renovation. The renovation also included renaming the hotel’s on-site restaurant as Edgar’s Hermano and creating a casual bistro called Buffalo Bayou Coffee.

• 1 month later...

New food spot opening in the tunnels at 919 Milam. IIRC this used to be an ATM for a credit union so this food spot can't be too big....

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just so we're clear - this means that the following places are all within two blocks of each other:  Fusion Taco, El Big Bad, La Calle, Chupacabra, and Main Street Taco Concept.  You can also get tacos at Christians, Bovine and Barley, Live Sports bar and tamales at Pastry War.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, adr said:

Just so we're clear - this means that the following places are all within two blocks of each other:  Fusion Taco, El Big Bad, La Calle, Chupacabra, and Main Street Taco Concept.  You can also get tacos at Christians, Bovine and Barley, Live Sports bar and tamales at Pastry War.

Cool!  Even better, Batanga, Moonshiners, and La Fisheria have tacos too! 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

Pizza, tacos, and burgers are pretty well covered down here.  Something new would be cool.

Look around.  there are plenty of options beyond pizza, tacos and burgers, including at several of the restaurants we just listed.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Look around.  there are plenty of options beyond pizza, tacos and burgers, including at several of the restaurants we just listed.

I am not saying that there aren't any other options, I am saying that I wouldn't be upset with 5 new taco places if we were also getting non-repetitive options.  That said, I am frequenting each of the new places either way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, adr said:

Add Lone Star Taco Company to that list (a ripoff of Torchy's) and you can get tacos at El Burro and the Bull in Conservatory

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

At the 609 main tour today, guides indicated that a coffee shop by the Blacksmith (coffee shop in Montrose) team will be going in the southeast corner of the lobby and a white table cloth restaurant will take the north retail spot. Also indicated that B&B Butchers will be opening something in 1111 rusk.

• Like 9
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Some moves in the tunnels. 

After 15 years, Ragin Cajun is gone. 

However, a Tacos A Go-Go is go-going in at One Shell. 

http://swamplot.com/tacos-a-go-go-is-a-go-beneath-downtown/2017-04-10/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+swamplot+(Swamplot%3A+Houston's+Real+Estate+Landscape)

Surprised Ragin Cajun didn't make it. They pre-dated the boom, so I would have thought that they would be ok with what's available. Maybe the lease was up and they didn't want to bother with it anymore. Cajun food without significant beer sales just sounds odd in any case, they probably felt better off redeploying their efforts elsewhere.

Edited by Nate99
  • 2 months later...

After reading a recent thread on this forum, one could be excused for coming away with the idea that it might be hard to find a bite to eat in downtown Houston on the weekends.  Always eager to find the facts, I did some digging around and came up with a list of 110 restaurants, cafes, etc, where one can eat on Saturday and Sundays.  An additional 41, for a total of 151, are open on Saturdays.  And more are on the way!

• Subdude changed the title to Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene - More Coming