Sign in to follow this  
downtownian

Notes from Downtown District 2015 Budget Planning Meeting

Notes from meeting today in order of importance to me:

1) 4,199 units under the Downtown Living Initiative have been publicly approved. Two more are proposed and would bring the total to 4,750 leaving only 250 units to go under the 5,000 unit cap

2) No plans or discussion to bring a major grocer to downtown. They expect this to come after residential base is built. Prior year discussions included an urban Target with a grocery component

3) Bob Eury, the Downtown District Executive Director, is flying to New York tonight and may bring back "big news"

4) 2015 downtown district budget is $15mm

5) There is $4.2bn of investment underway or proposed in downtown

6) New branding - Downtown: Something Big is Up

7) They have put in 3 (?) porta potties to aid sanitation efforts

• Like 8

Lots of good stuff. Thanks for posting Downtownian.

# 3 is particularly intriguing.

#3 is probably related to a retail store. What big brand retail store is based in NYC?

#3 is probably related to a retail store. What big brand retail store is based in NYC?

The Downtown District seemed downbeat on retail during their presentation. Said they were working on it but not as much progress as other areas. They quickly went through things like the Dallas Street widening and other improvements - not sure that project is even funded. 

Lord & Taylor and Saks are both NYC-based, although the parent company is in Canada (Hudson's Bay)

I've got a question about the Downtown Living Initiative, and I guess this is as good as any a place to post it... after a development is approved for however many units, are they "required" to build it? I mean obviously the city can't force them to start construction, but is there a penalty if they don't build, or do the units just get subtracted from the 5000 if they cancel the project? I don't think there have been any examples of this yet, but I feel like it could become an issue once more are started/finished.

The Downtown District seemed downbeat on retail during their presentation. Said they were working on it but not as much progress as other areas. They quickly went through things like the Dallas Street widening and other improvements - not sure that project is even funded.

Thought this would be funded via the downtown projected 2015 budget

That may be right; I may have missed that point.

It is funded. They are taking bids now. Construction to start first half of '15. There was just a public meeting on the plans for Dallas and main this past Wednesday.