Texas Children's Hospital Legacy Tower At 6651 South Main St.

houstontexasjack

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the real missed opportunity here was to have the lower level walkway rotating clockwise, and the upper level rotating counterclockwise.

Ya know, when I read this, I immediately thought of the wormhole-generating device in the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster.  Do we really want random TMC pedestrians sucked into a wormhole and transported light-years away?  

(I thought not, we need to keep the process non-random ;-)

I never thought I'd see people on HAIF complaining that a building will be too tall. Major development in the TMC... but it might be too tall and block a view of a building? Seriously?!?!

I know right?

Pretty soon we'll be hearing complaints about the lack of available surface parking in downtown due to all the new development.

I hope yall are joking. This is an ARCHITECTURE forum. The O'Quinn tower is one of (possibly THE) best looking building in the TMC. So yes, a few of us are going to show (slight) disappointment that a big brown box might block views of it.

We'll, they're being practical and building something to maximize the square footage they have and that matches the rest of their campus. You'll still see O'Quinn from all directions (especially from the West). I actually think it's a pretty cool looking building w/ the glass mixed with stone. I also like that it goes with the rest of what they have instead of building something off the wall. Also, there are probably some cooler buildings than O'Quinn tucked away in the TMC that are not as tall, but much more interesting to look at.

• 6 months later...
On 8/10/2015 at 7:38 PM, houstontexasjack said:

Would that height make this the tallest building in the TMC?

It will slot in at #3. Here's the top eight a few yrs from now for the TMC, new additions in bold.

1. Methodist Outpatient Care Center -- 512 feet

2. The O'Quinn Medical Tower at St. Luke's -- 476 feet

3. Texas Children's Hospital Expansion -- 457 feet

4. Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza -- 430 feet

5. 6750 Main Apartments -- 423 feet

6. M.D Anderson Cancer Center Mid Campus Building One -- 413 feet

7. Methodist Inpatient Hospital -- 395 feet

8. University Center Tower -- 344 feet

• 2 months later...

This has been fenced off for a week or so, building permit just issued

Project No: 15083796 Date : 2015/11/04 00:00:00 USE : (EPR)HI-RISE HOSPITAL REMODEL/CORE ADDIT Owner/Occupant : *TEXAS CHILDRENS HOSPITAL Job Address : 6651 MAIN ST 77030 Valuation : $ 158,517,000 Permit Type : 13 FCC Group : Non-Residential Alteration Buyer : KUBIN DAVID Address : 1906 AFTON ST 77055 Phone : (713) 680-2132

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm a little confused as to what this is actually being built on... Is it going on the SW corner of the little loop thing across from the Best Western on Main?

There's currently a 6 story building south of the main pavilion (in photo above says Wells Fargo). Tower is being built on top of that building. It's a 19 floor expansion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived