Texas Children's Hospital Legacy Tower At 6651 South Main St.

houstontexasjack

Announced in the Houston Business Journal Today:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/11/texas-childrens-hospital-to-expand-tower-in-the.html

This should nicely add to the Medical Center skyline. I hope they keep with the practice of having lighting features as many of the taller structures in the TMC do.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be a cool project to watch, tripling the height (roughly) of a structure is likely going to require a lot of strengthening work. I'm pretty stoked about the construction photos for this one. 

More like quadrupling the height.  ;-)    I think the six-story building is quite new (built at the same time as the TCH Womens Pavilion).  I suspect they built it with capacity to hold a tower on top of it.

More like quadrupling the height.  ;-)    I think the six-story building is quite new (built at the same time as the TCH Womens Pavilion).  I suspect they built it with capacity to hold a tower on top of it.

If it's new then yeah, I agree they may have anticipated the expansion. Darn too, I like strengthening projects ;). Was close to forwarding this to the sales team in my company haha. 

No strengthening needed. Both towers were planned to go up to 27 floors. Tower crane shafts and slab knock outs for the elevators already exist. It will have the same TCH look with pink limestone, copper colored and clear vision glass. A roof top helipad will top it off. No funny looking crowns like Hermann.

• 1 month later...

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/home-design/01-13-15-theres-nowhere-to-go-but-up-in-texas-childrens-hospital-506-million-expansion/

The board of Texas Children's Hospital has "enthusiastically approved" a $506 million expansion on the medical center campus that includes construction of a 19-story tower on top of the existing building base next to Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, officials announced Tuesday.

The project will add 640,000 square feet and 130 beds and make the tower the new home to Texas Children's Heart Center.

Texas-Childrens-Hospital-new-tower-propo

Texas-Childrens-Hospital-new-tower-propo

During the opening of the original Pavilion for Women, the Texas Childrens Hospital marketing department had a contractor install temporary lighting on the bridge so that it could glow pink after a girl birth and blue for a boy. We all thought it was pretty silly, but it was apparently a success with the public.

This new tower however, will house strictly pediatric services.

I don't think this will block out the O'Quinn Towers. I don't believe that it is going to be that tall.

I hope not anyway.

I also have an exhibition going up tonight at D.M. Allison Gallery on Colquit and invite all Haifer's to come by

from 6-8 p.m. to see my new work.

For images go to

www.dma-art.com

Archived