28 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I remember spending a day talking about kitsch in my Philosophy of Art class in college, but can't remember clearly what was said about it. I think we ultimately just decided that one couldn't draw any clear line or state any set of "necessary and sufficient conditions" for what constitutes kitsch, which fits with the postmodern spirit of that class, which never came to any definite conclusion on anything.

Hard to draw a distinction between a copy and a revival, or to say that one is always bad while the other is good. Although I agree in principle. Mount Vernon Dallas is bad, but does that mean that the Hines architecture school is bad, since it's a copy? Is close resemblance the same as a copy? Would the Transco Tower be a copy of the Panhellenic Building in New York (visible nightly as a wooden model behind Jimmy Fallon's desk)? The Infomart isn't an exact copy of the Crystal Palace, and since the CP burned down, I'm glad that it was brought back to life somewhere on earth. The San Jacinto monument is certainly original, but a Texas star on top of an Egyptian obelisk - some might call it kitsch.

There was once a thread on here way long ago about a high school that was going to be a giant Monticello, I think somewhere near Humble. Viciously attacked. Might satisfy your criteria.

Don't even get me started with Post-Modernism haha. Lets not even go there! Been recently exploring Post-Modernism as a whole way too much. One could make an argument that post-modernism in many instances is glorified kitsch. I'm sorry, but, while there are many many interpretations of the world (a point post-modern's got right), there are only a finite set of best interpretations (then again I'm a pragmatist).

Transco is kitsch in a way for sure, but more in concept like this new building we are talking about. Its silhouette is that of a lighthouse, and takes edges from art deco, and is post modern in execution (Phillip Johnson was a crazy mad scientist haha).

Seems we could start a whole new thread on this, so we better stay on topic haha. @H-Town Man

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Don't even get me started with Post-Modernism haha. Lets not even go there! Been recently exploring Post-Modernism as a whole way too much. One could make an argument that post-modernism in many instances is glorified kitsch. I'm sorry, but, while there are many many interpretations of the world (a point post-modern's got right), there are only a finite set of best interpretations (then again I'm a pragmatist).

Transco is kitsch in a way for sure, but more in concept like this new building we are talking about. Its silhouette is that of a lighthouse, and takes edges from art deco, and is post modern in execution (Phillip Johnson was a crazy mad scientist haha).

Seems we could start a whole new thread on this, so we better stay on topic haha. @H-Town Man

Right. I meant the class was postmodern philosophically, in that one could never definitely say anything. No distinction between kitsch and non-kitsch, high and low art, etc.

• Like 3

Relevant, although it wont be located in TMC3. But I'm sure TMC3 and the innovation corridor had everything do to with bringing this here. 

Houston, China to partner on biotech innovation

A Chinese nonprofit plans to open an innovation center in the Texas Medical Center to focus on fostering cutting-edge biomedical companies.

The proposed China U.S. Biotechnology Innovation Center, also known as CUBIC, will serve as a bridge for Chinese companies looking to invest in Houston, and vice versa. Jiangsu Industrial Technology Research Institute, or JITRI, a nonprofit group based in the eastern Chinese province of Jiangsu, plans to invest $3 million to $4 million a year to fund research and help companies expand their footprint abroad.

Liu has identified a 100,500-square-foot space in the Texas Medical Center, but he did specify the location.

He hopes to open CUBIC sometime this year.

“This center will act as a bridge for companies looking for investments, manufacturing partners and business partners,” Liu said. “We really hope we can attract some Chinese companies to come to Houston.”

The partnership is the latest in a string of announcements that aims to position Houston as the “third coast” for biotechnology and biomedicine after the northeast and the West Coast.

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 4

As for the whole Amazon thing, the failure of HERO back in 2015 is likely what killed Houston's chances, especially in conjunction with other factors. LGBT friendliness is a huge (but unspoken) factor regarding Amazon's HQ2 search:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-headquarters-gay-rights-20180427-story.html

No city in a red state will get picked.

Edited by AnTonY
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Anyone know when ground breaking is scheduled for TMC3 ?  The rate of growth of the TMC ( this included) is going to push the square footage to over 60 million sq. ft.  which will place it 6th or 7th nationwide. Truly remarkable. Worked there for 22 years. It is amazing the changes since 2005. Same goes for midtown.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Anyone know when ground breaking is scheduled for TMC3 ?  The rate of growth of the TMC ( this included) is going to push the square footage to over 60 million sq. ft.  which will place it 6th or 7th nationwide. Truly remarkable. Worked there for 22 years. It is amazing the changes since 2005. Same goes for midtown.

Groundbreaking is expected to be in 2019.

• Like 4

The Texas Medical Center as well as NASA are places which cannot be replicated, especially TMC. They are unique. They are only in Houston.  It is our Wall Street. There cannot be  another Wall Street, there  cannot be another TMC. We have a great Port, great Art Museum, great skyscrapers and malls, but so do other cities. 

• Like 6

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-planning-commission-gets-early-look-at-tmc3/

Houston (Harris County) – There’s been some sensational descriptions of the TMC3 campus over the past few years, but other than conceptual renderings little in the way of concrete action.

That all changed in late April when the founding institutions announced a 30-acre collaborative research campus with an “anticipated groundbreaking” in 2019 and completion in 2022.

Founding Institutions:

Texas Medical Center (TMC)

Baylor College of Medicine

Texas A&M University Health Science Center

University of Texas Heaalth Science center at Houston (UTHealth)

University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center

Since then, the civil engineer firm Walter P. Moore & Associates has submitted a master plan schematic to the Houston Planning and Development Department as part of a request for a variance to waive a requirement to extend Lehall Street, which at present reaches the west site of the project site at its center.

The Planning Commission has the variance request on its Thursday agenda.

The TMC3 Innovation Campus is proposed to be developed on the South Extension Parking Lot, something VBX first reported in April 2016. Also, see Project ID 2016-2796.

The briefing document submitted to the Planning Commission states, “This master plan, shown in the attached exhibit, includes a central multipurpose building surrounded by four research towers. When Bertner Avenue was planned to be realigned between Braeswood Boulevard and OST several streets were abandoned as part of the right-of-way dedication and abandonment.

These activities allowed for the development of the MDACC Administration Building at the southeast corner of Braeswood Boulevard and Bertner Avenue. At that time there was a conceptual plan for how the existing Texas Medical Center South Extension Parking Lot may be redeveloped in the future, but there were no definite plans for specific projects.”

Gensler is the architect designing the new campus, which is going to include more than 1.5 million square feet. The concept of a campus for five institutions is to bring together leading researchers with a broad array of top-tier expertise from the private sector.

During a joint press conference held April 23, TMC President and CEO William F. McKeon said, “The TMC3 campus will establish Houston as the Third Coast for life sciences, attracting the best scientific minds from around the globe. With researchers working hand-in-hand alongside industry titans on this new campus, Texas Medical Center as a whole will further advance its position as a preeminent global player in life sciences.”

The project is estimated to generate $5.2 billion and create 30,000 new jobs.

The centerpiece of the TMC3 campus – resembling the indelible double helix shape of a DNA strand – will be a multi-story building spanning nearly the entire length of the 30-acre complex. The shared facility will include core laboratories, restaurants, retail and commercial space.

The crown jewel of the facility will be an elevated park designed by famed High Line landscape architect James Corner. The rooftop park – which will be open to the public – will soar 60 feet above the campus, offer sweeping views of downtown Houston, and feature gardens, walking and running trails.

• Like 7

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, Luminare said:

Kitsch is around the US definitely as you said correctly, but its mostly in isolated instances on roadways or in small towns. Houston is a city where it seems to embrace it in some way.

Among the kitschiest examples relates to the Medical Center: the Bloch Cancer Survivors Plaza.
If for some people it serves its intended function of providing inspiration for those battling cancer, or those who've survived it, good. I'm happy that they're comforted.
For other people, it's so bad that it's funny, and falls into the category of "laughter is the best medicine". 

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Among the kitschiest examples relates to the Medical Center: the Bloch Cancer Survivors Plaza.
If for some people it serves its intended function of providing inspiration for those battling cancer, or those who've survived it, good. I'm happy that they're comforted.
For other people, it's so bad that it's funny, and falls into the category of "laughter is the best medicine". 

What do you not like about it? I found it dignified and, although I don't think most cancer survivors will ever walk through it, many will see it and take something from knowing it's there. Apparently the Bloch family has done these in a number of cities, all different.

• Like 1

Maybe my definition of kitsch is a stretch but the Amazing Body Gallery of the McGovern Museum of Health & Medical Science with its colossal body parts seems to fit the bill. It is also quite a contrast to the stately appearance of the building's exterior. In any case, dbigtex56 has a point. If a little kitsch inspires someone or just makes him feel a little bit more upbeat it has served a positive purpose. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

What do you not like about it? I found it dignified

What bothers me about this sculpture is that it uses literal devices to address abstract concepts. It's as if someone said "OK, we have ten seconds to come up with an idea. Ready, set, GO!", and this was the result. It's meant to be unambiguous and understood at a glance. It's too damn easy and obvious to mean anything.
"So, wise guy, " I hear you thinking, "what do you propose instead?" And all I can say in reply is "Something better."
I've known and loved people who've had cancer. In no case is there ever anything easy or obvious about it. For some people it was a battle that was fought fiercely, for others a matter of acceptance. In no case did I think of them as bedraggled people who merely had to leap through some arbitrary jumbles of square shapes and emerge frolicking. Shazam! I'm cured!
Also, it's been my observation that realistic bronze sculptures of happy people often turn out very badly. The bronze of Mary Tyler Moore gayly tossing her hat in downtown Minneapolis looks like Skeletor on a bender. The depiction of a smiling Lucille Ball was so bizarre that it made national news. To me, the Bloch figures look like cartoon characters. 
I would rather see something that allows people to project their own experiences and feelings on it, something that invites contemplation. The existing sculpture is a one-liner.
This is my opinion, which is not open to debate. If the sculptor cannot convince me to like his work, I doubt that words will. If other people like it, good for them. I think it's kitschy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

What bothers me about this sculpture is that it uses literal devices to address abstract concepts. It's as if someone said "OK, we have ten seconds to come up with an idea. Ready, set, GO!", and this was the result. It's meant to be unambiguous and understood at a glance. It's too damn easy and obvious to mean anything.
"So, wise guy, " I hear you thinking, "what do you propose instead?" And all I can say in reply is "Something better."
I've known and loved people who've had cancer. In no case is there ever anything easy or obvious about it. For some people it was a battle that was fought fiercely, for others a matter of acceptance. In no case did I think of them as bedraggled people who merely had to leap through some arbitrary jumbles of square shapes and emerge frolicking. Shazam! I'm cured!
Also, it's been my observation that realistic bronze sculptures of happy people often turn out very badly. The bronze of Mary Tyler Moore gayly tossing her hat in downtown Minneapolis looks like Skeletor on a bender. The depiction of a smiling Lucille Ball was so bizarre that it made national news. To me, the Bloch figures look like cartoon characters. 
I would rather see something that allows people to project their own experiences and feelings on it, something that invites contemplation. The existing sculpture is a one-liner.
This is my opinion, which is not open to debate. If the sculptor cannot convince me to like his work, I doubt that words will. If other people like it, good for them. I think it's kitschy.

Your anticipation of argument from me misses the mark; I was really just interested in hearing what you thought.

I don't really like the bronze sculpture of the people, and generally agree with what you said about sculptures of happy people. I do like the classical tempietto portion. Classical architecture lends nobility to things, which I think works well for honoring survivors.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Your anticipation of argument from me misses the mark; I was really just interested in hearing what you thought.

The imaginary question was intended to be rhetorical, and was not directed specifically at you. 
You're right. I should have phrased it more clearly. Sorry about the confusion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Also, it's been my observation that realistic bronze sculptures of happy people often turn out very badly. The bronze of Mary Tyler Moore gayly tossing her hat in downtown Minneapolis looks like Skeletor on a bender. The depiction of a smiling Lucille Ball was so bizarre that it made national news. 

LOL @ MTM. :lol:

That Lucy sculpture was indeed hideous - it has since been replaced with a considerably better one.

Lucy%20Old%20and%20New-EMBED.jpg

• Like 3

Those sculptures bring to mind the old saying, "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." I cannot think of a Classical or Neo-Classical sculpture where the figure's mouth is open with teeth showing.

The original Lucy sculpture doesn't look remotely like her. It doesn't look like Janet Reno or Eleanor Roosevelt either. ^_^ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, swtsig said:

why in the hell do we have multiple posts in row debating bronze sculptures when we have a new rendering???

920x920.jpg

Indeed. Forget the bronze stuff. I like this.

Apologies for going off in the weeds. We old men who yell at clouds tend to do that too. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...