The new design isn't bad by any means, but it's a little bit of a let down considering how the original design actually had the building shaped as the double helix versus just walkways. I love some of the new design features from the 3 new images, but I really want to see some renderings showing more detail of the total structure itself.

Still a win for the city of Houston considering what it will bring.

20 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

The new design isn't bad by any means, but it's a little bit of a let down considering how the original design actually had the building shaped as the double helix versus just walkways. I love some of the new design features from the 3 new images, but I really want to see some renderings showing more detail of the total structure itself.

Still a win for the city of Houston considering what it will bring.

I'm sure at some point discussions came to this question: What is this central double helix building going to be for? Is it flexible enough and robust enough for us to use this building as a collaboration space? Is this just a cool building just for the sake of being cool? Don't get me wrong. I liked the original building, but it was clearly a concept to simply get the conversation started. This new version seems to be using the same idea, but instead of having the double helix be a form, instead its a void. I mean look at my quote in my signature. "When you are looking for a solution to what you have been told is an architectural problem--remember, the solution may not be a building." The answer to the previous questions that were probably asked was the center doesn't need to be a building to bring us together to this one location. Its the space itself symbolically that does. At that point the central building can disappear and now more resources can be decentralized from one building to many.

• Like 4

The area it lies within is not super griddy, but is anyone else disappointed by the lack of streets incorporated into the design? Looks like a massive suburban project to me. Although this area could be argued it is more suburban than urban already. hmmm

Where is the parking? Are there garages underground? Or will it all be podium style?

4 minutes ago, lockmat said:

The area it lies within is not super griddy, but is anyone else disappointed by the lack of streets incorporated into the design? Looks like a massive suburban project to me. Although this area could be argued it is more suburban than urban already. hmmm

Where is the parking? Are there garages underground? Or will it all be podium style?

Completely opposite. This is very Urban in concept. More streets and more parking would making it look like the suburban campuses of old. It looks like large urban developments i've walked through while in Germany. Particularly my last trip where I visit areas like Europaviertel in Stuttgart. From the description it seems like its going to be all underground. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire campus has two levels of underground parking to cover all future expansions. think underground parking like under the park near Jones Hall.

• Like 5

Keep in mind that the existing use of this property is two massive surface parking lots for TMC employees who are shuttled into other buildings. Those parkers will have to be accommodated or relocated to another site.

Underground parking for the TMC3 site alone would be astoundingly expensive. We shall see.

At least OST and Braeswood are pretty big roads that should be able to handle the extra traffic.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

Completely opposite. This is very Urban in concept. More streets and more parking would making it look like the suburban campuses of old. It looks like large urban developments i've walked through while in Germany. Particularly my last trip where I visit areas like Europaviertel in Stuttgart. From the description it seems like its going to be all underground. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire campus has two levels of underground parking to cover all future expansions. think underground parking like under the park near Jones Hall.

I don't know the areas you've been to in Germany, but based on your description, it sounds like a pre-modern urban utopia where no cars exist, which is the exception to urbanism. Other than your description of Germany, I can't think of an urban city that doesn't have vehicular streets, except maybe Florence. To me, streets/grids and urbanism go hand in hand. I only see two streets winding around this development, which to me, reminds me of a suburban development....lots of buildings but no streets.

I'm not calling for parking lots. Ideally there would be a huge underground parking garage. I just want some thru streets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, lockmat said:

I don't know the areas you've been to in Germany, but based on your description, it sounds like a pre-modern urban utopia where no cars exist, which is the exception to urbanism. Other than your description of Germany, I can't think of an urban city that doesn't have vehicular streets, except maybe Florence. To me, streets/grids and urbanism go hand in hand. I only see two streets winding around this development, which to me, reminds me of a suburban development....lots of buildings but no streets.

I'm not calling for parking lots. Ideally there would be a huge underground parking garage. I just want some thru streets.

The difference between what is suburban and urban isn't the number of streets. There is way more that goes into it than that. I also in no way mentioned any kind of utopia, and just because something is in the past doesn't mean it was better, nor should we look at the past in such a romantic way. You seem to have some very superficial/preconceived notions of what constitutes urban and suburban, and that is, by the way, no insult or say that you are stupid, but instead I mean that your definition of both are incredibly low-res and vague to which we won't be able to go into the matter nor be able to come to a sensible compromise on the subject because our frames on what is urban vs. suburban clearly vary wildly. Again I don't want this to come off as if either of us is right or wrong, or as if this is some kind of take down, because it isn't. There are simply enormous gaps here and you are making incredible assumptions that do not make sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

The difference between what is suburban and urban isn't the number of streets. There is way more that goes into it than that. I also in no way mentioned any kind of utopia, and just because something is in the past doesn't mean it was better, nor should we look at the past in such a romantic way. You seem to have some very superficial/preconceived notions of what constitutes urban and suburban, and that is, by the way, no insult or say that you are stupid, but instead I mean that your definition of both are incredibly low-res and vague to which we won't be able to go into the matter nor be able to come to a sensible compromise on the subject because our frames on what is urban vs. suburban clearly vary wildly. Again I don't want this to come off as if either of us is right or wrong, or as if this is some kind of take down, because it isn't. There are simply enormous gaps here and you are making incredible assumptions that do not make sense.

I think that some people's utopian idea of urbanism is one without cars. I'm not saying you want this utopia, so please pardon me if I implied it.

But this design is essentially car-less, unless one counts the presumed parking garages we think might be below.

What assumptions am I making that do not make sense? I've never been to an urban place without streets. Usually the more streets, the more urban. This place has a ring around it, which to me gives the feel of a faux-urban suburban development like Market Street in The Woodlands. Sure, it's pedestrian friendly once you get there, but so is the Exxon campus and even that is half-baked urbanism.

• Like 1

Disappointed in the public park getting scrapped.  Would have been so cool to have an elevated park above the helix structure.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Houston-Medical-Center-redesigns-massive-TMC3-13809669.php

In the previous design, the collaborative building was to be capped with an elevated park with gardens and trails designed by James Corner, the landscape architect behind New York’s High Line. Now, the landscape architecture will be under the direction of Elkus Manfredi.

Maureen and Jim Hackett, former chief executive of Anadarko Petroleum Corp., planned to launch a $60 million philanthropic campaign to fund the park. Since that part of the plan was scrapped, the couple is no longer fundraising.

Edited by ekdrm2d1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Disappointed in the public park getting scrapped.  Would have been so cool to have an elevated park above the helix structure.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Houston-Medical-Center-redesigns-massive-TMC3-13809669.php

The park is still there, just underneath the helix canopy at ground level. I kinda like this a little more for some reason. 

• Like 5

I can't tell from the renderings, but will there be mid-block East-West connections?  That's the biggest issue for big super-block developments - you can't get out of them easily except at a few designated entrances.

19 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Different rendering from tmc's website.

https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/05/a-leap-forward-for-tmc3/

qBtfQYe.jpg

This still looks very conceptual. Sort of like, "Here is a building that could be built with our helix layout." I wonder if they are planning this thing like a subdivision and selling lots off to institutions who can build whatever they want on them. The aerial visual being what it could look like if everyone built something amazing, but not necessarily what it will look like.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:26 AM, Timoric said:

Flooding?

Relatively easy to prevent water from getting in, by raising the driveways/penetrations into the garage.  Imagine an elevated levee around the perimeter of the garage, and a driveway going over the levee.

As long as the top of the "levee"/driveway is high enough, no concern for surface water pouring into the garage.  Of course, like any levee, it can be overtopped at a certain point.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

7 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

A groundbreaking date - early next year!

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/looped-in/

Great podcast. Thanks for the write up. 

He also mentioned the Shell building down the block. He said TMC leased it for a decade.  Building parking there as well? 

• Like 3