Jump to content

Mab

Recommended Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to setup a circulator like the former greenlink downtown?  I'm not a fan of changing LRT routes for a single development(yes I know this one is Yuge).  One of the reasons developers love LRT is because they know it's fixed.  METRO has even said in their meetings that LRT is as much a public utility as it is a means to drive development.  If TMC wants to chip in some money to do this then I'd be more inclined for this change.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Highrise Tower changed the title to TMC|3, Texas Medical Center BioResearch Campus
On 12/18/2020 at 6:04 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Today we have financially closed on the TMC3 Collaborative Building and Helix Gardens. Thank you to everyone who has put time, hard work & effort into this continued partnership to help bring this project to fruition.

 

Rv82vBV.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/thetexasmedicalcenter/

 

!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Minor news: The medical center has issued $35 million in bonds to help finance construction of the Collaborative Building. These bonds are based on Texas A&M Univ. Systems anticipated lease payments and will be used for TAMU's portion of the building. Happened a few weeks ago.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiVGh0dHBzOi8vZmluYW5jZS55YWhvby5jb20vbmV3cy90bWMzLWRldmVsb3BtZW50LWNvcnBvcmF0aW9uLXR4LW1vb2R5cy0yMjIwMTc2MTQuaHRtbNIBXGh0dHBzOi8vZmluYW5jZS55YWhvby5jb20vYW1waHRtbC9uZXdzL3RtYzMtZGV2ZWxvcG1lbnQtY29ycG9yYXRpb24tdHgtbW9vZHlzLTIyMjAxNzYxNC5odG1s?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More bonds sold: $66 million to cover development costs of TMC3 site and underground parking, $74 million for TMC's share in cost of Collaborative Building. Article says that TMC's parking revenue has fallen this year due to Covid but they've done a good job of balancing expenditures.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, HOUCAJUN said:

How do you know this?

Road milling machines currently filling up dump trucks on the west side of William C Harvin Blvd.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lux said:

Road milling machines currently filling up dump trucks on the west side of William C Harvin Blvd.

I thought it was customary in "groundbreakings" to have several well dressed  people holding shovels who look as if they haven't actually used  a shovel for work  in years ( if not decades). When did that happen?

Edited by Twinsanity02
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I thought it was customary in "groundbreakings" to have several well dressed  people holding shovels who look as if they haven't actually used  a shovel for work  in years ( if not decades). When did that happen?

I think he means literal groundbreaking, not ceremonial groundbreaking.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lux said:

Although construction of the BCM buildings (no longer Parcel D but now Parcel F and an unidentified section of land across F Street bordering OST) appears to be delayed beyond the first phase, I wouldn’t be surprised to see accelerated development across the board.

I wouldn't place too much hope in anything involving BCM. They have been a whirlpool of mismanagement for at least 15 years, during which time two merger suitors (Rice U. and Baylor U.) walked away and their USNWR rankings have trended steadily downward, although still at 22nd (they were 12th in the late 90's). I'm not sure they ever really recovered from Tropical Storm Allison. The only thing sadder to watch at TMC has of course been their institutional partner, CHI St. Luke's.

The renderings in the video for their buildings are pretty neat though, so let's hope they get it together.

Edited by H-Town Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I wouldn't place too much hope in anything involving BCM. They have been a whirlpool of mismanagement for at least 15 years, during which time two merger suitors (Rice U. and Baylor U.) walked away and their USNWR rankings have trended steadily downward, although still at 22nd (they were 12th in the late 90's). I'm not sure they ever really recovered from Tropical Storm Allison. The only thing sadder to watch at TMC has of course been their institutional partner, CHI St. Luke's.

The renderings in the video for their buildings are pretty neat though, so let's hope they get it together.

Never underestimate the power of beliefs, both positive and negative, in creating self-fulfilling prophecies.  CHI St. Luke’s is quickly advancing additional cancer-focused development on the McNair Campus, and BCM needs to escape the aging Cullen Building that’s inadequate for 21st century medical and scientific training.  I’m positive on BCM’s downstream TMC3 involvement, and hopefully Dr. Klotman and BCM’s philanthropists will make it happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I wouldn't place too much hope in anything involving BCM. They have been a whirlpool of mismanagement for at least 15 years, during which time two merger suitors (Rice U. and Baylor U.) walked away and their USNWR rankings have trended steadily downward, although still at 22nd (they were 12th in the late 90's). I'm not sure they ever really recovered from Tropical Storm Allison. The only thing sadder to watch at TMC has of course been their institutional partner, CHI St. Luke's.

The renderings in the video for their buildings are pretty neat though, so let's hope they get it together.

In fairness, the 22nd ranking is for Medical Schools: Research.  

BCM is also # 4 in Medical Schools: Primary Care

Also, re: BCM's "drop" in Research rankings. I think that is more a matter of not having really deserved the earlier top 15/top 10 rankings (they were apparently somehow allowed to take credit for research at MD Anderson in those earlier years). If they re-ranked without the MD Anderson research, there probably would not be the slide in BCM's rankings.

As to the non-mergers, that was 11 years ago. They seem to have righted the ship some time ago (and I think it's reflected in their bond ratings). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

In fairness, the 22nd ranking is for Medical Schools: Research.  

BCM is also # 4 in Medical Schools: Primary Care

Also, re: BCM's "drop" in Research rankings. I think that is more a matter of not having really deserved the earlier top 15/top 10 rankings (they were apparently somehow allowed to take credit for research at MD Anderson in those earlier years). If they re-ranked without the MD Anderson research, there probably would not be the slide in BCM's rankings.

As to the non-mergers, that was 11 years ago. They seem to have righted the ship some time ago (and I think it's reflected in their bond ratings). 

The research rankings are the ones that matter in terms of prestige. Do you have a link to the MD Anderson story? I hadn't heard that.

Last fall they entered into a partnership with Baylor Scott & White. They will be building a medical school at Scott & White's campus in Temple. Nice for Temple and Scott & White, but what's in it for BCM? More financial shoring up?

On the other hand, it does look like their bond ratings have improved over the years.

 

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, texan said:

HB 449 will be the one to follow for this.

In it, Texas A&M, MD Anderson, and UT Health Houston are asking for money to build their buildings from the state ($100 million each).

https://capitol.texas.gov/Search/DocViewer.aspx?ID=87RHB004491B&QueryText=tuition%2bOR%2brevenue%2bOR%2bbond&DocType=B

Says it's a joint project between the three of them. Would this be the Collaborative Building?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...