Finally, the new campus will feature a 19-story TMC Hotel and Conference Center. The hotel is expected to have 410 rooms, and the conference center is planned to encompass 50,000 square feet. A flag has not been selected for the hotel, McKeon said.

"We've been approached by many major flags," McKeon said. "Our data shows we could go without a flag, which is pretty impressive. Or we may choose to go with one if we meet the right partner."

I'm new to this terminology. A flag? I assume this is hotel branding.

• Like 1

Im  confused. Is this stage one. In the above rendering the tall  building on the left is already there. its the M.D. Anderson tower south of MacGregor on Bertner. The one on the lower right is the future St. Lukes.

The one on the bottom left is the new forensic lab. So where did those other building and hotel go that were in all of the earlier renderings?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Im  confused. Is this stage one. In the above rendering the tall  building on the left is already there. its the M.D. Anderson tower south of MacGregor on Bertner. The one on the lower right is the future St. Lukes.

The one on the bottom left is the new forensic lab. So where did those other building and hotel go that were in all of the earlier renderings?

It is a phased project. Those other attached buildings next to the helix will be built out by the other institutions.

• Like 3

Was pondering this last night.

While this is an amazing project and I'm already liking the design of it, without a doubt, if this gets built, this will solidify Houston as the "kings of Kitsch". Lets admit it, the concept/parti of this building...is pretty kitschy. Some Designer, "Medical building...what is something that is immediately identifiable as medical...DNA!" It took me awhile to figure out why we seemed to have an immediate emotional reaction to this building where others we sorta kinda have to wait for it to grow on us a bit. Maybe its the scale. Maybe its the idea of what it brings to Houston. Probably all of that. However, I think it might be the immediate representation of the building and its ties to the Medical field, is why it seems to get such favor from us. With that being said, what I seem to appreciate the most is that while the concept/parti is pure kitsch the final product is not. Its very much more refined. Refined Kitsch? I say this because there is the clear other example of kitsch that many of us architects (while adorable in some way) wouldn't ever subscribe to the thought of it as being good. There is a building near outside of Baytown that is a tool shop. The building, as if its the embodiment of what happens inside...is a literal toolbox on the outside. The outside looks like a literal tool box with large ornamental latches, etc... Its incredibly kitschy and on-the-nose (for some reason I admire it though). This new medical facility is exactly that in some ways, but more refined. I wouldn't even mind if this was an architectural direction for Houston. This town has always been a little kitschy, but this "refined kitsch" in concept, yet contemporary in execution, is actually pretty stunning and mostly unassuming unless we are looking from above. For that reason it feels like it really belongs here. A symbol in some way of Houston's maturity in all aspects. 

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It might be "kitschy" in its concept and recreation of some object related to its field, but its execution and design is anything but. I guess it's serendipitous that the DNA double helix could make for a good design in any sort of campus, due to its graceful organic lines and cohesive gathering areas enclosed by the overlapping chains. 

Perhaps it's kitsch in concept; the design is anything but.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmosele said:

It might be "kitschy" in its concept and recreation of some object related to its field, but its execution and design is anything but. I guess it's serendipitous that the DNA double helix could make for a good design in any sort of campus, due to its graceful organic lines and cohesive gathering areas enclosed by the overlapping chains. 

Perhaps it's kitsch in concept; the design is anything but.

Exactly. That's exactly my point! I don't mind kitsch that much actually. Kitsch can be fun. There is actually quite a bit of experimentation with it many different forms, but in a pragmatic sense. Pragmatically the parti was most certainly a means to an end. It probably made it easier to program as well. Some forms are just like that right? 

• Like 6

Any hope of tying this into the light rail somehow?  It's not that far to Fannin from the site - maybe a shuttle/trolley, or moving sidewalks....I guess you have to get all the way to Fannin x Pressler for the closest station though.  Hopefully this jump starts some further redevelopment of that stretch between Fannin and Bertner

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, longcat said:

Any hope of tying this into the light rail somehow?  It's not that far to Fannin from the site - maybe a shuttle/trolley, or moving sidewalks....I guess you have to get all the way to Fannin x Pressler for the closest station though.  Hopefully this jump starts some further redevelopment of that stretch between Fannin and Bertner

It is a bit disappointing the site is not closer to a rail station, but I imagine it will be served by the Medical Center Shuttles. (There are currently three different shuttle routes that provide circulation within the Medical Center.)

http://www.tmc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/TMC_Shuttle_Brochure_031416.pdf

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

It is a bit disappointing the site is not closer to a rail station, but I imagine it will be served by the Medical Center Shuttles. (There are currently three different shuttle routes that provide circulation within the Medical Center.)

http://www.tmc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/TMC_Shuttle_Brochure_031416.pdf

This is directly on a route that makes a Bertner loop so I'm sure it will be. There is a large parking area on this site right now adjacent to the 30 story M.D. Anderson boat shaped tower

on Bertner, so I would think that this will be addressed. Since my wife works in the UT school of nursing directly across the bayou from this site I will definitely spend time looking out her 6th floor office at the construction. Its a tighter fit than it seems from the renderings wedged between the DSt Lukes hospital; and the Forensic building. It will be interesting to see it come to fruition.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:44 AM, Luminare said:

Was pondering this last night.

While this is an amazing project and I'm already liking the design of it, without a doubt, if this gets built, this will solidify Houston as the "kings of Kitsch". Lets admit it, the concept/parti of this building...is pretty kitschy. Some Designer, "Medical building...what is something that is immediately identifiable as medical...DNA!" It took me awhile to figure out why we seemed to have an immediate emotional reaction to this building where others we sorta kinda have to wait for it to grow on us a bit. Maybe its the scale. Maybe its the idea of what it brings to Houston. Probably all of that. However, I think it might be the immediate representation of the building and its ties to the Medical field, is why it seems to get such favor from us. With that being said, what I seem to appreciate the most is that while the concept/parti is pure kitsch the final product is not. Its very much more refined. Refined Kitsch? I say this because there is the clear other example of kitsch that many of us architects (while adorable in some way) wouldn't ever subscribe to the thought of it as being good. There is a building near outside of Baytown that is a tool shop. The building, as if its the embodiment of what happens inside...is a literal toolbox on the outside. The outside looks like a literal tool box with large ornamental latches, etc... Its incredibly kitschy and on-the-nose (for some reason I admire it though). This new medical facility is exactly that in some ways, but more refined. I wouldn't even mind if this was an architectural direction for Houston. This town has always been a little kitschy, but this "refined kitsch" in concept, yet contemporary in execution, is actually pretty stunning and mostly unassuming unless we are looking from above. For that reason it feels like it really belongs here. A symbol in some way of Houston's maturity in all aspects. 

Good comment. Lots of kitsch in American architecture, although it doesn't seem kitschy when it becomes familiar. A train station in New York modeled to look like the Baths of Caracalla. Most classical architecture, arguably. A giant Egyptian obelisk in the middle of the National Mall in D.C. A giant Egyptian obelisk with a huge star on top on the Houston Ship Channel. A replica of Mount Vernon on White Rock Lake in Dallas - that's got to be the most embarrassing. A replica of the Crystal Palace on Stemmons Freeway in Dallas, which is pretty nice.

Some of these have aged better than others. The Hines architecture school was initially pretty kitschy, being a replica of an 18th century design, but I think it has improved over time. The point is though, Houston does kitsch - but so does everybody else. And we do it very well, for the most part.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:44 AM, Luminare said:

While this is an amazing project and I'm already liking the design of it, without a doubt, if this gets built, this will solidify Houston as the "kings of Kitsch". Lets admit it, the concept/parti of this building...is pretty kitschy. Some Designer, "Medical building...what is something that is immediately identifiable as medical...DNA!" 

Much like St. Luke's, which can be seen either as hypodermic needles, or Madonna during her bullet bra phase.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Why did you post a uterus diagram? Is there a women's health component going into this?

The similarity occurred to me many years ago but, being married to a UT grad and having several others in the family, "I kept my vision to myself." :) 

Regarding the kitsch factor of the double helix as it becomes familiar the public will inure to it. Also, renderings are usually taken from a bird's-eye view, or at least an elevated perspective, that most people on the ground will never see so the association will not be as obvious.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Good comment. Lots of kitsch in American architecture, although it doesn't seem kitschy when it becomes familiar. A train station in New York modeled to look like the Baths of Caracalla. Most classical architecture, arguably. A giant Egyptian obelisk in the middle of the National Mall in D.C. A giant Egyptian obelisk with a huge star on top on the Houston Ship Channel. A replica of Mount Vernon on White Rock Lake in Dallas - that's got to be the most embarrassing. A replica of the Crystal Palace on Stemmons Freeway in Dallas, which is pretty nice.

Some of these have aged better than others. The Hines architecture school was initially pretty kitschy, being a replica of an 18th century design, but I think it has improved over time. The point is though, Houston does kitsch - but so does everybody else. And we do it very well, for the most part.

You bring some good points as well, but only to a point. I think this is where one thinks kitsch is a part of art or its a separate thing. I fall in line with the actual definition of kitsch and as it was put forth by the creators of the term in that; kitsch is more a cheap imitation of art with the attempt to bring about an immediate emotional response with little intellectual effort. Some don't believe this though and associate kitsch as just a lower form of art. There are best interpretations, but it is up to each person. Also just because its an imitation doesn't mean that its kitsch. A revivalist movement isn't kitsch, such as Egyptian Revival or Gothic Revival. Those movements only borrow motifs or derive inspiration from other buildings instead of ripping off. But a clear rip-off like the "Crystal Palace" building, that is in Dallas, is definitely kitsch. Its a cheap, low intellectual effort, that only has aged well because what it borrowed so blatantly from is so admired.

The train station you talking about is taking queues from, but its not a literal ripoff of that bath house. Same with the obelisk in DC. Now if they made the obelisk look like it was dug up from an egyptian ruin while making the lawn look like a sand dune...total kitsch (that would actually be hilarious haha). The San Jacinto Monument is actually original. Its purely art deco in style. The Replica you pointed out...defintely Kitsch and is embarrassing haha.

Most American architecture isn't really kitsch. Its mostly revival styles in nature. It's architecture that is heavily influenced by other architecture abroad, but not straight rip-offs. Kitsch is around the US definitely as you said correctly, but its mostly in isolated instances on roadways or in small towns. Houston is a city where it seems to embrace it in some way. Like the top of one of our skyscrapers literally looking like a mayan temple! Its not a motif. its a clear imitation. Its a cheap idea, but its so weird, goofy, and proud, that it actually works.

Interested to know what others think about this including you @H-Town Man

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Luminare said:

You bring some good points as well, but only to a point. I think this is where one thinks kitsch is a part of art or its a separate thing. I fall in line with the actual definition of kitsch and as it was put forth by the creators of the term in that; kitsch is more a cheap imitation of art with the attempt to bring about an immediate emotional response with little intellectual effort. Some don't believe this though and associate kitsch as just a lower form of art. There are best interpretations, but it is up to each person. Also just because its an imitation doesn't mean that its kitsch. A revivalist movement isn't kitsch, such as Egyptian Revival or Gothic Revival. Those movements only borrow motifs or derive inspiration from other buildings instead of ripping off. But a clear rip-off like the "Crystal Palace" building, that is in Dallas, is definitely kitsch. Its a cheap, low intellectual effort, that only has aged well because what it borrowed so blatantly from is so admired.

The train station you talking about is taking queues from, but its not a literal ripoff of that bath house. Same with the obelisk in DC. Now if they made the obelisk look like it was dug up from an egyptian ruin while making the lawn look like a sand dune...total kitsch (that would actually be hilarious haha). The San Jacinto Monument is actually original. Its purely art deco in style. The Replica you pointed out...defintely Kitsch and is embarrassing haha.

Most American architecture isn't really kitsch. Its mostly revival styles in nature. It's architecture that is heavily influenced by other architecture abroad, but not straight rip-offs. Kitsch is around the US definitely as you said correctly, but its mostly in isolated instances on roadways or in small towns. Houston is a city where it seems to embrace it in some way. Like the top of one of our skyscrapers literally looking like a mayan temple! Its not a motif. its a clear imitation. Its a cheap idea, but its so weird, goofy, and proud, that it actually works.

Interested to know what others think about this including you @H-Town Man

I remember spending a day talking about kitsch in my Philosophy of Art class in college, but can't remember clearly what was said about it. I think we ultimately just decided that one couldn't draw any clear line or state any set of "necessary and sufficient conditions" for what constitutes kitsch, which fits with the postmodern spirit of that class, which never came to any definite conclusion on anything.

Hard to draw a distinction between a copy and a revival, or to say that one is always bad while the other is good. Although I agree in principle. Mount Vernon Dallas is bad, but does that mean that the Hines architecture school is bad, since it's a copy? Is close resemblance the same as a copy? Would the Transco Tower be a copy of the Panhellenic Building in New York (visible nightly as a wooden model behind Jimmy Fallon's desk)? The Infomart isn't an exact copy of the Crystal Palace, and since the CP burned down, I'm glad that it was brought back to life somewhere on earth. The San Jacinto monument is certainly original, but a Texas star on top of an Egyptian obelisk - some might call it kitsch.

There was once a thread on here way long ago about a high school that was going to be a giant Monticello, I think somewhere near Humble. Viciously attacked. Might satisfy your criteria.

• Like 3