1 hour ago, X.R. said:

Is this going up fast or is this just me? It seems like they went from no crane and minimal site work to crane, pillars, and extensive site work in about a month? And thats with people being off for Easter. And the second building starts in August? Really incredible to see something like this really, actually happen and so quickly.

I think you are spot on.It's going up fast. Probably will finish before block 387 or 100 Crawford.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, hindesky said:

A sea of tower cranes, 5 of them and possibly more in the works. I talked with a worker and he said this is going to be an 8 year project. 

So we still have time to grab popcorn and snacks before the movie begins in earnest :)  What a cool project!!  Surely the 8 year timeline is to fully build out the entire TMC3 campus and OST bridge to the UT campus.  I’d expect individual research buildings and parking structures to activate at their earliest opportunity.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 7

The Blossom Hotel launch in June (keeps getting delayed) will bring a new energy to the area immediately adjacent to TMC3, but I keep wondering how all of the surrounding land will be redeveloped to complement TMC3 and nearby developments.  Lyndon and Lehall streets are virtually vacant, and most lots are owned by UT.  Additionally, I’d guess that the adjacent parking lot could be acquired and/or redeveloped.  This area between Fannin and Bertner all the way down to Dreyfus street and the Hyatt development seems ripe for a posh makeover. High-rise multi-family housing?  Restaurants and shops?  All of the above?  

Edited by Lux
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lux said:

So we still have time to grab popcorn and snacks before the movie begins in earnest :)  What a cool project!!  Surely the 8 year timeline is to fully build out the entire TMC3 campus and OST bridge to the UT campus.  I’d expect individual research buildings and parking structures to activate at their earliest opportunity.

The B1M should do a show on TMC3.   

• Like 8

kRI3FXy.jpg

Borrowing one of Hindesky’s shots from a sunny day, I’m somewhat confused about the position of the northside Parcel C pillars.  Based on the architectural standards document and several renderings, it appeared that Lehall St. turns into D Street.  For those of you who understand the current state of the collaborative building development and the likely function of these pillars, does it appear that D Street will be placed above several of these north end structural pillars, or did the TMC3 collaborative building shift north?  Unless otherwise advised, I’m assuming the former with Lehall Street running into D Street with utilities below street level.

pzwdOU5.jpg

s1W7z48.jpg

https://www.tmc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/TMC-Arch-Standards.pdf

Edited by Lux
  • Like 7

@Lux, I believe the whole development is going to have underground parking? It's possible that they excavate the underground garage as they start on the buildings, so maybe they'll come back and expand it when they start on adjacent phases.

20 minutes ago, jmosele said:

@Lux, I believe the whole development is going to have underground parking? It's possible that they excavate the underground garage as they start on the buildings, so maybe they'll come back and expand it when they start on adjacent phases.

It’s my understanding that each building may have limited parking underneath, but most parking will be in new onsite Braeswood garage (excavation underway next to MD Anderson garage) or offsite at Smithlands or elsewhere.  My question is more about the planned TMC3 surface street grids (B, C, D, E, F, Crosswell Way) and how things are lining up with the plans and renderings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lux said:

It’s my understanding that each building may have limited parking underneath, but most parking will be in new onsite Braeswood garage (excavation underway next to MD Anderson garage) or offsite at Smithlands or elsewhere.  My question is more about the planned TMC3 surface street grids (B, C, D, E, F, Crosswell Way) and how things are lining up with the plans and renderings.

If you look at the photos @Highrise Tower just posted, you can see that they are setting up floor plates in the path of the street. With the way the columns are laid out and the thickness of the slab (based on the amount of rebar sticking out), I would guess that it is meant to carry cars.

I also was under the impression that this excavation was for storm water detention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

If you look at the photos @Highrise Tower just posted, you can see that they are setting up floor plates in the path of the street. With the way the columns are laid out and the thickness of the slab (based on the amount of rebar sticking out), I would guess that it is meant to carry cars.

I also was under the impression that this excavation was for storm water detention.

@phillip_white Thanks for the helpful observations!

It appears the tuition revenue bond bill died in committee in the Texas Senate. This would've given Texas A&M, MD Anderson, and UT Health $90 million each to support construction of their buildings at TMC3 (among many other university construction projects). These buildings were planned prior to inclusion in HB 1530 so they'll still move forward using PUF money, most likely.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1530

Edited by texan
Add context
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, texan said:

It appears the tuition revenue bond bill died in committee in the Texas Senate. This would've given Texas A&M, MD Anderson, and UT Health $90 million each to support construction of their buildings at TMC3 (among many other university construction projects). These buildings were planned prior to inclusion in HB 1530 so they'll still move forward using PUF money, most likely.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1530

Dang must be nice to have a $22 billion fund to pull from. Anyway it's definitely moving forward, they're just gonna pull it from the PUF like you said (as we can see from the construction). 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1