1 hour ago, Lux said:

Road milling machines currently filling up dump trucks on the west side of William C Harvin Blvd.

I thought it was customary in "groundbreakings" to have several well dressed  people holding shovels who look as if they haven't actually used  a shovel for work  in years ( if not decades). When did that happen?

Edited by Twinsanity02
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

54 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I thought it was customary in "groundbreakings" to have several well dressed  people holding shovels who look as if they haven't actually used  a shovel for work  in years ( if not decades). When did that happen?

I think he means literal groundbreaking, not ceremonial groundbreaking.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lux said:

Although construction of the BCM buildings (no longer Parcel D but now Parcel F and an unidentified section of land across F Street bordering OST) appears to be delayed beyond the first phase, I wouldn’t be surprised to see accelerated development across the board.

I wouldn't place too much hope in anything involving BCM. They have been a whirlpool of mismanagement for at least 15 years, during which time two merger suitors (Rice U. and Baylor U.) walked away and their USNWR rankings have trended steadily downward, although still at 22nd (they were 12th in the late 90's). I'm not sure they ever really recovered from Tropical Storm Allison. The only thing sadder to watch at TMC has of course been their institutional partner, CHI St. Luke's.

The renderings in the video for their buildings are pretty neat though, so let's hope they get it together.

Edited by H-Town Man

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I wouldn't place too much hope in anything involving BCM. They have been a whirlpool of mismanagement for at least 15 years, during which time two merger suitors (Rice U. and Baylor U.) walked away and their USNWR rankings have trended steadily downward, although still at 22nd (they were 12th in the late 90's). I'm not sure they ever really recovered from Tropical Storm Allison. The only thing sadder to watch at TMC has of course been their institutional partner, CHI St. Luke's.

The renderings in the video for their buildings are pretty neat though, so let's hope they get it together.

Never underestimate the power of beliefs, both positive and negative, in creating self-fulfilling prophecies.  CHI St. Luke’s is quickly advancing additional cancer-focused development on the McNair Campus, and BCM needs to escape the aging Cullen Building that’s inadequate for 21st century medical and scientific training.  I’m positive on BCM’s downstream TMC3 involvement, and hopefully Dr. Klotman and BCM’s philanthropists will make it happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

In fairness, the 22nd ranking is for Medical Schools: Research.  

BCM is also # 4 in Medical Schools: Primary Care

Also, re: BCM's "drop" in Research rankings. I think that is more a matter of not having really deserved the earlier top 15/top 10 rankings (they were apparently somehow allowed to take credit for research at MD Anderson in those earlier years). If they re-ranked without the MD Anderson research, there probably would not be the slide in BCM's rankings.

As to the non-mergers, that was 11 years ago. They seem to have righted the ship some time ago (and I think it's reflected in their bond ratings). 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

In fairness, the 22nd ranking is for Medical Schools: Research.  

BCM is also # 4 in Medical Schools: Primary Care

Also, re: BCM's "drop" in Research rankings. I think that is more a matter of not having really deserved the earlier top 15/top 10 rankings (they were apparently somehow allowed to take credit for research at MD Anderson in those earlier years). If they re-ranked without the MD Anderson research, there probably would not be the slide in BCM's rankings.

As to the non-mergers, that was 11 years ago. They seem to have righted the ship some time ago (and I think it's reflected in their bond ratings). 

The research rankings are the ones that matter in terms of prestige. Do you have a link to the MD Anderson story? I hadn't heard that.

Last fall they entered into a partnership with Baylor Scott & White. They will be building a medical school at Scott & White's campus in Temple. Nice for Temple and Scott & White, but what's in it for BCM? More financial shoring up?

On the other hand, it does look like their bond ratings have improved over the years.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1