13 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

That's not what I said. You are clearly misquoting me. I think you are the one who is trolling. Also the ad hominem attacks by @Luminare show his true colors, I am sorry to say.

TSU, HCC and SanJac is a hypothetical example I made. It is an extreme example, I know. That was the point. Because the "proof" that clustering "works" was also extreme, Harvard and MIT et al in Boston. Stanford, UC et al in SF. Clustering works there, so it must work in Houston too! I think you guys can come up with better counter arguments than that. Or maybe not. 

Any updates on the yoga lawns? 

Why pick an extreme example when you could just pick the obvious example right in front of you, that they are clustering with UT, A&M, and Rice? I'm not misquoting you at all.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

That's not what I said. You are clearly misquoting me. I think you are the one who is trolling. Also the ad hominem attacks by @Luminare show his true colors, I am sorry to say.

TSU, HCC and SanJac is a hypothetical example I made. It is an extreme example, I know. That was the point. Because the "proof" that clustering "works" was also extreme, Harvard and MIT et al in Boston. Stanford, UC et al in SF. Clustering works there, so it must work in Houston too! I think you guys can come up with better counter arguments than that. Or maybe not. 

Any updates on the yoga lawns? 

You're right. I'm not the one shilling for a political candidate. I'm such a terrible human being.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Why pick an extreme example when you could just pick the obvious example right in front of you, that they are clustering with UT, A&M, and Rice? I'm not misquoting you at all.

You are misquoting me. And you are flat out making false statements for some reason. Rice has not made any plans of yet to be at TMC3. UT and TAMU are also not there, and were never at the original TMC. The Health Science centers are different universities within the UT and TAMU system. Like UH central and UH Downtown.  If, TAMU UT and Rice and Baylor College of Medicine were at TMC3, that could be a game changer. 

Lets stick with facts. 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

You are misquoting me. And you are flat out making false statements for some reason. Rice has not made any plans of yet to be at TMC3. UT and TAMU are also not there, and were never at the original TMC. The Health Science centers are different universities within the UT and TAMU system. Like UH central and UH Downtown.  If, TAMU UT and Rice and Baylor College of Medicine were at TMC3, that could be a game changer. 

Lets stick with facts. 

I never specified "university" when I wrote those names. I did say "institutions." Why would you not think I meant the systems? Whether it's the Health Science Centers or something else, it's coming from the same endowment. As far as Rice, they may not nominally be a part, but they are located closer to TMC3 than Harvard is to Kendall Square. So it's part of the cluster.

Those are the facts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I never specified "university" when I wrote those names. I did say "institutions." Why would you not think I meant the systems? Whether it's the Health Science Centers or something else, it's coming from the same endowment. As far as Rice, they may not nominally be a part, but they are located closer to TMC3 than Harvard is to Kendall Square. So it's part of the cluster.

Those are the facts.

Tell that to a bio tech startup or investor. Yeah, invest in a biotech hub in the Rio Grande Valley! UT Rio Grande Valley is just as good as UT Austin. It's the same institution! 

It's always amusing watching you guys tie yourselves into knots. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Those are the facts.

An additional fact is that the Texas A&M Health Science Center is actually a component of the university in College Station, as of 2013, and its College of Medicine was founded as a part of TAMU before being split off to form the Health Science Center in 1999, contrary to his claim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's true the Health Science Center in Houston did merge with College Station in 2013. Forgot about that. Actually, Buzbee was a regent then, so i'm not sure why I forgot. Also in 2012 Texas Wesleyan University School of Law in Ft. Worth became the Texas A&M University School of Law. College Station was in expansion mode then.

44 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Tell that to a bio tech startup or investor. Yeah, invest in a biotech hub in the Rio Grande Valley! UT Rio Grande Valley is just as good as UT Austin. It's the same institution! 

It's always amusing watching you guys tie yourselves into knots. 

The UT system has historically sent lavish funds to its urban medical/research campuses and they have had no problem attracting researchers with the UT brand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

The UT system has historically sent lavish funds to its urban medical/research campuses and they have had no problem attracting researchers with the UT brand.

Please elaborate on these lavish funds that the UT system has sent to its research campuses. 

Again you guys just need to educate yourself more on how research works. The Health Science Center, or the Umbrella system funds very little if anything of the actual research. Yes, there are some (very very few) endowed professors that are being funded by the department. But most, instead are self funded. It takes many years, perhaps decades to be an endowed professor, if they even offer it all. Instead what most professors do is apply for grants, from say National Institutes of Heath or the DoD. If awarded, those grants are awarded to the professor. That's how you earn your salary and conduct research in America. Even the pipets and medical supplies are funded with grant money. Heck, even the administrative staff is paid from the research funds. If you're not self-funded, then you're out of a job. The Health Science center helps with the facilities, I guess. 

Also, the university does help with intellectual property. So, the patents my wife has were processed with IP attorneys from Methodist. But, even then the institute is getting a cut of the assets.

I would rather the universities awarded more research grants to the scientists and professors directly, instead of investing yoga lawns. That would attract more talent (in my opinion). 

7 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Please elaborate on these lavish funds that the UT system has sent to its research campuses. 

Again you guys just need to educate yourself more on how research works. The Health Science Center, or the Umbrella system funds very little if anything of the actual research. Yes, there are some (very very few) endowed professors that are being funded by the department. But most, instead are self funded. It takes many years, perhaps decades to be an endowed professor, if they even offer it all. Instead what most professors do is apply for grants, from say National Institutes of Heath or the DoD. If awarded, those grants are awarded to the professor. That's how you earn your salary and conduct research in America. Even the pipets and medical supplies are funded with grant money. Heck, even the administrative staff is paid from the research funds. If you're not self-funded, then you're out of a job. The Health Science center helps with the facilities, I guess. 

Also, the university does help with intellectual property. So, the patents my wife has were processed with IP attorneys from Methodist. But, even then the institute is getting a cut of the assets.

I would rather the universities awarded more research grants to the scientists and professors directly, instead of investing yoga lawns. That would attract more talent (in my opinion). 

Are M.D. Anderson, UT Southwestern, and the health science centers well funded? Is their prestige greater than UT Rio Grande Valley? I didn't say they funded actual research, the implication was that they have well-funded campuses that attract researchers. You're just going to argue until you get the last word; my mistake arguing with a troll.

• Like 5

I'm starting to wonder if this thread is any way related to some kind of strange scary medical experiment that is going on at the TMC. Are there any reports of a loose internet obsessed guinea pig that might have broken out of a lab?

J/K🙃

Edited by West Timer
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moore713 said:

Yea everytime I see a new posting, I think it new information...instead  it just two people still having a D measuring contest.

Well once this project is up and running, it can't come soon enough because after this Texas sized D measuring contest is over, definitely one of them was royally shafted, and it wasn't via a suppository.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...