Vaughn Construction is the GC for the project.

Today we are excited to announce that Elkus Manfredi Architects, Transwestern, and Vaughn Construction will collectively serve as the architectural and development team to execute the physical manifestation for the game-changing 37-acre TMC3 translational research campus.

The TMC3 campus will boast 1.5 million square feet of collaborative research space, including 250,000 square feet of core labs and amenities across a total of 37 acres that comprise the totality of the research hub. 
Baylor College of Medicine Texas A&M University Health Science Center MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth

safe_image.php?d=AQA3Sf8IgRYONjsx&w=476&

• Like 6

“I think the governor is a reasonable person and astute enough to know you don’t put the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Oilers in the same stadium."

lol Houston Oilers? Something tells me that with this guy making the case of why the relocation should not take place, that TMC gets a little bigger. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, Luminare said:

For some reason got curious about the construction start date for this one. While googling I found this article.

https://www.enr.com/articles/47283-texas-louisiana-city-scoop-construction-starts-in-houston

From the website:

This was from a couple weeks ago. Looks like procurement for consultant services has already begun in earnest. The project is so huge that its actually going to force some who take on the project to turn some projects away. That should tell you the scale we are looking at here. If there are manpower issues as well I wouldn't be surprised we if start pulling more workers from other cities to help fill the gap which just means more people coming to Houston overall. Now we wait till beginning of 2020.

A couple of Vaughn guys working the TAMU renovation said they are going to be a contractor at TMC3 but since it's such a big project I'm sure others will be involved too.

• Like 6

That ENR article that was linked to said groundbreaking starting in 2020 and ending in 2022. That would be...shocking.

But I can see why they would want it done fast. Seems to be a trend we're seeing in the City, which is bigger pockets leading to construction projects with seemingly expedited construction, like Caydon, this, ION, and Hines' projects. 

• Like 1

I drove over to the Compass bank at the corner of Fannin and O.S.T. tonight at sunset to use the ATM. As I was leaving I went North on Fannin and noticed the Blossom Hotel with the UT MD Anderson building just behind it. The concrete structure of the Blossom juxtaposed with the backdrop of the M.D.And. bldg. and the glow from the sunset was rather striking and also gave them both a new sense of massing I find so important and  fun. I turned onto Braeswood to head east and  I passed Bertner, and entrance 35, which is south of the bayou behind the energy plant.  There were also some interesting angles of the plant positioned out in front of the med center, with its lights on it's stack, and the other shapes that played with Ceasar Pelli's,  O'Quinn towers with their flashing syringes on top. Just a few suggestions for some interesting images for all photographers.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Wait...wasn't the Helix building cut, and then they went with the courtyard idea? Does this mean its still in play, or that they just left this on the website and never took it off?

On 9/29/2019 at 1:23 AM, Luminare said:

Wait...wasn't the Helix building cut, and then they went with the courtyard idea? Does this mean its still in play, or that they just left this on the website and never took it off?

Yes.  Note the dates on the posted document.  The Helix building was cut in design changes that were announced/publicized in May, perhaps as a result of the responses received to the posted RFQ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes.  Note the dates on the posted document.  The Helix building was cut in design changes that were announced/publicized in May, perhaps as a result of the responses received to the posted RFQ.

That is a shame. Would have been one of the most interesting designs in the country. Really lessens the excitement from me. I am glad this type of project is coming to Houston and it is still amazing but from a design perspective it disappointing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thatguysly said:

That is a shame. Would have been one of the most interesting designs in the country. Really lessens the excitement from me. I am glad this type of project is coming to Houston and it is still amazing but from a design perspective it disappointing.

We're still getting a helix park between the buildings. Might actually be better.

• Like 8

Cool design. I'll add my 2cents, since my wife is a professor of medicne, who left the TMC for more advanced research opportunities elsewhere. I hope the TMC3 design (whatever it ultimately becomes) is able to help retain/attract top professors/labs. That should be the main goal (I think). What we, non-researchers think, is besides the point.

For all the talk about how big TMC is, which it is, the research is not that broad or advanced besides cancer and cardiovascular. There's a lot of similarities to the energy industry actually. Houston is -the- place to be for energy, but lags big time in other sectors. The TMC is one of the best places for cancer and cardiovascular (but not the best), but lags in pretty much every thing else.

So, how will this design, via our tax dollars, make research better in Houston? I have no clue. I asked my wife and she has no idea either. As of right now, US News and World Report has -1- medical school in Houston in the top 50, only 2 in the top 100 (3 if you count UTMB Galveston). If the design gamble pays off, then great. But If top labs/professors around the country don't show interest, within the next two years, of relocating to the TMC, then I would rather scrap the design all together and use the tax dollars to setup a scholarship fund for McGovern, and UTMB Galveston and make their tuition free of charge. Much better return on investment for society as a whole. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Cool design. I'll add my 2cents, since my wife is a professor of medicne, who left the TMC for more advanced research opportunities elsewhere. I hope the TMC3 design (whatever it ultimately becomes) is able to help retain/attract top professors/labs. That should be the main goal (I think). What we, non-researchers think, is besides the point.

For all the talk about how big TMC is, which it is, the research is not that broad or advanced besides cancer and cardiovascular. There's a lot of similarities to the energy industry actually. Houston is -the- place to be for energy, but lags big time in other sectors. The TMC is one of the best places for cancer and cardiovascular (but not the best), but lags in pretty much every thing else.

So, how will this design, via our tax dollars, make research better in Houston? I have no clue. I asked my wife and she has no idea either. As of right now, US News and World Report has -1- medical school in Houston in the top 50, only 2 in the top 100 (3 if you count UTMB Galveston). If the design gamble pays off, then great. But If top labs/professors around the country don't show interest, within the next two years, of relocating to the TMC, then I would rather scrap the design all together and use the tax dollars to setup a scholarship fund for McGovern, and UTMB Galveston and make their tuition free of charge. Much better return on investment for society as a whole. 

The general idea is to foster research relationships with the other institutions in the TMC. The CEO of TMC stressed that, as of right now, all of the TMC institutions are very independent, aka, they don’t really work together towards a common goal. He mentioned this in State of TMC 2017 and 2018, I think.

The design of TMC3 is supposed to build those collaborative relationships. Instead of walking 2,3, or 4 blocks from one institution to another they’ll be right across from each other with the DNA helix in the middle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2