Someone asked if that was the whole medical center. I had to tell them that is just a future expansion.  It would be cool if they had it in with the entire medical center - if you're not from here or don't go there much it's hard to grasp how big it is.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Someone asked if that was the whole medical center. I had to tell them that is just a future expansion.  It would be cool if they had it in with the entire medical center - if you're not from here or don't go there much it's hard to grasp how big it is.

I always have a hard time telling people just how big it really is. Even when I tell some of my classmates here they just don't grasp it, but then again its hard to really describe the scale of Houston. Guess it makes sense.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 2:59 PM, corbs315 said:

Model on display at Super Bowl LIve:

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 2.58.15 PM.png

Yea that was pretty cool. It was THE centerpiece of the TMC tent. Wasn't expecting that. TVs above the model displaying all there is to see of this project. Apparently you could put on VR headsets and actually take a tour of the project but there were a lot of people waiting to put those on.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2017 at 5:55 AM, OkieEric said:

I actually think this might be a hint from the powers at be that they were ready to get to the next phase of this project and asked the current CEO to look to his next stop in his career. It would seem that this was a play to put in a new CEO who could push forward this vision. The current (now defunct) CEO was instrumental in pushing this vision forward, but like any project sometimes a change in management to someone who is more savvy in a different capacity will work better for a project. Robbins was perfect for creating the vision. Now they need someone who is great at pushing projects forward and built. They have done enough planning and now its time to get the project started. Get investors and financing, etc...

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Wow, that was great and very informative.  By far the most information that's been made public.  Pretty cool that apparently even Apple has some level of interest...  The big take away for me is that this all (obviously) hinges on UT's approval, which could hopefully come as early as November 27th

I'm not sure how you watch that video and not approve TMC3, but the regents had some good, legitimate questions

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

The TMC3 motion had unanimous approval for UT Health and MD Anderson to move forward on the Project.

I guess I wasn't the only one listening (or trying to) listen in.  I had to listen to the motion a second time to ensure I understood it, with so many caveats listed.  Pretty exciting news, regardless

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OkieEric said:

I guess I wasn't the only one listening (or trying to) listen in.  I had to listen to the motion a second time to ensure I understood it, with so many caveats listed.  Pretty exciting news, regardless

Agreed! With all of the conditions I had to go through it again as well, so you were not alone..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Will this facility ,from an architecture standpoint, be considered iconic?

If the design becomes associated with the Medical Center at large, or even with collaboration between these institutions, then yes. Presently, I only think of the O'Quinn Medical Tower as being iconic for the TMC. I note that, in my view, the word "iconic" is overused these days to mean pretty much every thing that used to be "nice," or "excellent," or a number of other adjectives. 

• Like 2

I don't know if they post minutes of the meetings, but here is a paraphrased version of the motion:

"I move that the UT System Board of Regents authorize the Chancellor to work actively to assure UT system participation.....upon satisfaction of the following actions:

a.) Philanthropy is achievable

b.) In recognition of current financial challenges, condition participation on some "other entity" covering the cost of the helix, actively seek financial support from city of Houston and state of Texas

c.) Assure UT institutions are protected from potential situation of paying for non-usable space

d.) Seek legal opinion from AG if any questions remain...blah blah

e.) Secure commitment with selection of an experienced 3rd party for managing real estate development

f.) Document additional reviews and approvals as required for the planned construction of the new individual research buildings.  Board approval to be required to include costs in capital improvement plan...."

In particular, b.) doesn't sound like much of a commitment.  After listening yet again I'm not quite sure what to make of it...

• Like 6