Elev8: Multifamily High-Rise At 1801 Smith St.

Montrose1100

Wow, this is nuts. Honestly? I would’ve expected a project like this maybe after Trebly Park finished, but this is awesome! 

If you don’t mind crossing traffic, it’s actually a fairly easy walk to Midtown from here, and on the weekend it’s pretty much dead (traffic wise I mean) so you aren’t really playing frogger to go get a bite to eat. :P

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Either this building or the one next door is rumored to be converting to residential use. I always confuse the two.

As mentioned in the other thread, looks like the owner of the one next door bought this one at the beginning of last year. 

Some residential makes a lot of sense right here since the restaurants/bars/etc are relatively close in Midtown. 

Only 3 blocks to the light rail/downtown transit center and it is actually connected with the tunnel system via skywalk.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, wilcal said:

As mentioned in the other thread, looks like the owner of the one next door bought this one at the beginning of last year. 

Some residential makes a lot of sense right here since the restaurants/bars/etc are relatively close in Midtown. 

Only 3 blocks to the light rail/downtown transit center and it is actually connected with the tunnel system via skywalk.

Yup. I said in the thread for this, but it’s really not a bad walk at all from there to Midtown. It’d be nice to see more residential on the south side of DT. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow almost 400 units in an area that can be rather dead at night. And this feeds in well to Midtown. Hope this sparks more development around it. 

With the Pierce Elevated coming down in the future, downtown and Midtown can finally merge and be one. This project can only help.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 5

• The title was changed to 1801 Smith Renovation/Conversion To Residential

T

10 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I’m rooting for these lads to succeed. I’d love to see a residential conversion of 800 Bell, and we need something like this to show the concept can work in Houston.

Get this, 800 Bell and everybody's favorite former transcendental meditation center/junkie-squatter-sky-hovel renovated and filled with residents and that's a pretty big neighborhood on top of the other stuff that's already (or about to be) occupied. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

T

Get this, 800 Bell and everybody's favorite former transcendental meditation center/junkie-squatter-sky-hovel renovated and filled with residents and that's a pretty big neighborhood on top of the other stuff that's already (or about to be) occupied. 

Has there been any talk about converting 800 Bell into residential? That would be a lot of units!.

29 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

Has there been any talk about converting 800 Bell into residential? That would be a lot of units!.

None except here. Shorenstein still owns it and still maintains the "Updated" facade on their site. 

This area of town needs some love. The former Skyhouses and additional residential on Main have been great but it's my hope we'll see more aging office to residential. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, sapo2367 said:

Wasn't there a proposal to make it affordable housing?

I may be mixing concepts, but the Days Inn/Heaven on Earth was mentioned as a candidate for some manner of affordable housing, but again, maybe only here. 

The 800 Bell residential speculation is probably just plausible wishful thinking for it's next use given the amount of nicer and better located vacant office space elsewhere downtown.  That property represents a huge chunk of square footage and I wonder how much work it requires to keep the infrastructure from decaying. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 10:37 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Suppose the indoor pool is the only option and better than none. Really hope this is successful. Gives me hope for an 800 Bell conversion to residential.

If I'm being honest, I'd almost prefer an indoor pool to one that has no view, is surrounded by buildings, or doesn't get much sun. Plus, as an indoor, its all year round as opposed to a lot of outdoor pools. If they can, make the windows bigger, put in a sizeable spa/hot tub, and its a better amenity than some of these pools at the luxury places. 

• Like 1