Nau Center For Cultural Heritage Museum

j_cuevas713

Love how it interacts with the historical houses. But please don't tell me that says "parking garage" across the street on the site plan.

Since you pointed that out I also noticed that the Hilton Garage mushroomed to encompass 4 blocks... That's gigantic. I just hope we get more information from the "Proposed Mixed Usage" block that has disappeared in the last few downtown development maps.

Love how it interacts with the historical houses. But please don't tell me that says "parking garage" across the street on the site plan.

Since you pointed that out I also noticed that the Hilton Garage mushroomed to encompass 4 blocks... That's gigantic. I just hope we get more information from the "Proposed Mixed Usage" block that has disappeared in the last few downtown development maps.

Isn't that part of the grb expansion plans?

• Like 1

Isn't that part of the grb expansion plans?

I was under the impression that they would be expanding exhibition space, while the diagram labels the entire 4 block area as the Hilton Americas Garage. I think you can also see a sky bridge to the Toyota Center although it's very small.

I was under the impression that they would be expanding exhibition space, while the diagram labels the entire 4 block area as the Hilton Americas Garage. I think you can also see a sky bridge to the Toyota Center although it's very small.

I think it's mislabeled.  In the GRB Master plan that includes the north-end garage shown, the Hilton garage is replaced by the 4-block addition to the GRB that is mislabeled here as Hilton parking garage.

Doesn't look too bad.  I'm wondering if they will hold lectures/symposiums and the like on different urban/historical topics?

I'm pleased that John Nau is forward thinking enough to want to do this.  Very pleased.

And to think 20 years ago this part of Downtown was just horrible.  The turn around is immense.

Am I alone in the thought that it looks like it belongs in that terrible texas themed park going up in New Caney?

I'm totally unimpressed. But, I guess people with kiddos and who are easily entertained will enjoy it.

It is far from being an architectural masterpiece, but it doesn't need to be.

It reminds me of the Bob Bullock State History Museum in Austin.

• Like 1

Wonderful gift. Needed concept. The architecture? ...moo! Follows the phony domes and influences seen in the courthouse district... Rather than district modern architecture for which Houston (used to be anyway) is known for. No Astrodome comparisons please! Some large cantilevers to provided relief from Houston Sun & Rain would be appreciated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, it'll be a beautiful parking garage. If it doesn't have first floor something, I'll be disappointed. Right across the street from MMP? c'mon

#36 http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-03-06/140303_Downtown_Houston_Development_Map_8.5_x_11.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose if you're looking for grandeur, the museum could have been incorporated into a new high rise tower, say have the first 2 or 3 floors dedicated to the museum, or reverse that, dedicate the top 2 or 3 floors.  

Besides that, it's a museum about Houston's history, I don't think you need a lot of floor space to showcase it.

I suppose if you're looking for grandeur, the museum could have been incorporated into a new high rise tower, say have the first 2 or 3 floors dedicated to the museum, or reverse that, dedicate the top 2 or 3 floors.  

Besides that, it's a museum about Houston's history, I don't think you need a lot of floor space to showcase it.

Half of it should be pictures of potholes.

• Like 4

^ Evidence of the need for the museum.   Hopefully, you'll be one of the first to go when it opens.  ;-)