Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

103 N. Jackson - New Condos for Downtown

Very nice. I'm glad downtown is finally getting condos. These will have excellent views!

Surge Homes is the same group with the "controversial" condos/townhomes going up near the Heights bike trail

They are apparently the same builder (Inner Loop Condos) that did condos in Midtown and River Oaks.

Edited by HoustonMidtown

I like it! The area around the ballpark will be quite nice in a few years. At some point, Downtown will require a proper grocery store to support the residential units (Phoenicia is cool, but doesn't get the job done with respect to more traditional items).

• Like 1

Hard to tell but it looks like the ground floor is parking garage. I'm curious if the project will try to qualify for the Downtown Living Initiative subsidies. 

Hard to tell but it looks like the ground floor is parking garage. I'm curious if the project will try to qualify for the Downtown Living Initiative subsidies. 

It certainly looks like 2 floors of parking. I mean, The only place the could fit anything other than parking would be on Ruiz. Which is where I assume the garage entrance, leasing office, and street entrance would be.

That parking podium is pretty bad, but considering the location that's probably ok. I would like to see what the Ruiz side looks like though. 

The parking podium doesn't bother me too much because I'd imagine that area floods quite easily. Would love to see a picture from that vicinity after TS Allison.

• Like 3

Kinkaid alum

We lived in the wagon works/PPG building during that storm and believe it or not the parking lot never had any water in it.

I walked over to check on the bayou because I was really worried about the car. Nothing.

We were on the top floor and the flat roof became a storage tank and water came pouring down out brick wall.

We were asleep, and didn't know it was coming in until our neighbor below came up to complain about water leaking through to his. Obviously it was quite a surprise. Concrete floors and we mopped up water for quite a while. The bayou did not leave its bank in that spot miraculously.

• Like 2

Isn't the current park in that area basically a homeless camp? I'm just taking other people's word on that, I don't know for sure.. It's great to see this part of downtown start to develop though.

Its straddled between the Elysian viaduct and an off ramp from 59... Not exactly the best place for much ground floor street interaction.

• Like 2

That pool is the best thing going for this project....

Yes, especially the people in it...

• Like 1

Surge Homes is the same group with the "controversial" condos/townhomes going up near the Heights bike trail

They are apparently the same builder (Inner Loop Condos) that did condos in Midtown and River Oaks.

Swamplot says the sign's down after having gone up. Apparently the placement is being modified to make the sign less of an issue.

@UtterlyUrban, yes this is a real project. 

@Howard Huge, yes this site is the old Loomis armored truck facility.

@j_cuevas713.  A start date has not been announced yet.  We are still accessing the interest level on our website, www.surgehomes.com

@toxtehogrady.  Our sign was mistakenly placed in the right of way of the Heights bike trail and we removed it as soon as we were alerted of this mistake.  

• Like 2

@UtterlyUrban, yes this is a real project.

@Howard Huge, yes this site is the old Loomis armored truck facility.

@j_cuevas713. A start date has not been announced yet. We are still accessing the interest level on our website, www.surgehomes.com.

@toxtehogrady. Our sign was mistakenly placed in the right of way of the Heights bike trail and we removed it as soon as we were alerted of this mistake.

@ surge - this is by far the best proposal Yall came out with recently. So much potential in that area.

• Like 3

So Surge Homes, you are planning a park on the northern side of this development or will this be an open lawn?

Nice. There condos would be a great buy. I would much rather own a condo rather than live in an apartment. I am guessing that these things will fly off the market.

• Like 2

So Surge Homes, you are planning a park on the northern side of this development or will this be an open lawn?

@Triton, The grassy area north of Maple Street is not part of our parcel.  It is owned by the City of Houston and managed by the Park and Recreation Department. 

• Like 1

@Surge Homes, Do you have any plans to build any more condos in downtown, or will you wait and see how this first project does first? Also, do you have any plans to eventually build a high-rise condo building, or are you just focusing on mid-rise condos right now? Thanks.

572e85535ca76cec82e0f193675a4cda.gif

surge homes

10 variations of development projects throughout the houston area... quite impressive indeed!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3

I love the design, but they should have considered putting street level retail at the bottom.

Edited by JoninATX
  • Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/11/19/more-details-revealed-for-new-condominium-projects.html?page=2

The company's more ambitious plans include four midrise condominium projects, which will appeal to a wide range of Houstonians from young professionals to empty-nesters. Construction on these projects is expected to begin in fall 2015, and will start delivering the first units in fall 2016.

A year away. We'll have to take a look at this market again even two quarters from now to see if these are even still feasible. 

Knocking on particle board.

• Like 1

I'd think there will be demand for well-designed floor plans. The shortage of single-family is pretty significant, and it will take a couple years for the market to satisfy the demand. This location is near a boatload of development near MMP, and should be attractive for empty nesters looking to move closer in and young professional Millenials looking to buy.

A year away before construction begins?

A "new" firm to Houston?

Multiple developments?

I would wager that these will not be built.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

A "new" firm to Houston?

They aren't new....they (same people, different company I believe) built Vistas, Piedmont, etc....

Check out the "About Us" section on their website.....

Edited by HoustonMidtown

Just saw this on a Rockets blog

My guess is you have visited the SurgeHomes.com website and this is a result of your web browser tracking you....I see the same add all over the place in my browser

• Like 2