3 hours ago, hindesky said:

Looks like 9 to me.

FnU8Bh1.jpg

Having lived in “SODO” for 2 years now... It’s clear the direction this part of downtown is going. It’s becoming an urban mid rise residential neighborhood, very similar to Navy Yard in DC. 

Edited by Caleb
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Caleb said:

Having lived in “SODO” for 2 years now... It’s clear the direction this part of downtown is going. It’s becoming an urban mid rise residential neighborhood, very similar to Navy Yard in DC. 

How is the pedestrian scene down there? I have noticed a few cafes / restaurants / shops. Is it picking up foot traffic?

I'd love to see the old Holiday Inn building get redone and the Exxon building put to use. I feel like when that's done, things will really hit a stride.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I know "sodo" stands for "south of downtown", but what is the difference between that and midtown which is also south of downtown? Is sodo a distinct area of midtown? Is there a wodo and nodo?

I think it stands for "South Downtown" and has no reference to midtown.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

How is the pedestrian scene down there? I have noticed a few cafes / restaurants / shops. Is it picking up foot traffic?

I'd love to see the old Holiday Inn building get redone and the Exxon building put to use. I feel like when that's done, things will really hit a stride.

It’s mostly residents walking dogs etc. There are a few cafes like the cute little bakery under Sky House. But there’s definitely a need for more. I currently take an 8 block walk down Main to get to CVS and better options. It’s not a bad walk during this time of the year. 

• Like 4

I walk by this site from McGowen to the Downtown "Y" a few times a week. I agree with all that's been posted above (including hopes for the vacant Holiday Inn and Exxon sites). In my mind, the Pierce Street Elevated is the demarkation line from Downtown and Midtown. So SODO is a subsection of Downtown (all of this only exists in my mind). The greatest obstacle for continuing improvement of this neighborhood transition area is the homeless settlements near the bus stations. Much worse since the 'closing' of the camps under the I69 elevated by Wheeler and an embarrassment in government and social conscience for Houston, IMHO.

But I am still excited for the new neighbors (and the north side of the site was getting the orange construction barriers this morning).

• Like 9

On 12/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Kind of amazed to see someone remembers that it was a Holiday Inn. 

I believe everyone on this site is very familiar with this Holiday Inn. It has been on all of our wish lists to be repurposed or leveled.

It is definitely the eyesore of downtown. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

Is this project in tandem with the Amegy Bank parking lot / building construction going on ? Laydown site perhaps

No. Actually the post above you is a good indication that its the actual project construction. That piece of paper on the tree is a reflection that this project had to meet with the city to discuss possible tree removal or triming which is common for vertical projects, and because they will likely alter the streetscape in some way. This isn't something you do if its a laydown yard. This project is actually happening.

• Like 9

So, is that nasty broken windowed graffiti-ed former EYE SORE that was the Days Inn EVER going to be either renovated or torn down ?  This has been the bane of Downtown's existence now for decades.  Seems the City or County would want to invest in trying to influence the current property owner to do something about it, and fast.  I feel so embarrassed when I pass downtown on the Pierce Elevated and for that area.  It's not like it's just a mid-rise run down apartment complex we are talking about here, that thing is many stories high and visible from so many angles around town.  One can only hope this development will help shield some of that crumbling ugliness soon.

26 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

So, is that nasty broken windowed graffiti-ed former EYE SORE that was the Days Inn EVER going to be either renovated or torn down ?  This has been the bane of Downtown's existence now for decades.  Seems the City or County would want to invest in trying to influence the current property owner to do something about it, and fast.  I feel so embarrassed when I pass downtown on the Pierce Elevated and for that area.  It's not like it's just a mid-rise run down apartment complex we are talking about here, that thing is many stories high and visible from so many angles around town.  One can only hope this development will help shield some of that crumbling ugliness soon.

You just spurred me to go back and look at that thread: 

It was "under contract" last year, but now listed as for sale again. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wilcal said:

You just spurred me to go back and look at that thread: 

It was "under contract" last year, but now listed as for sale again. 

Jesus sell at lot value and let's get something good here... whatever it is.

• Like 3