1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I've been hearing about block 98 kicking off in the near future numerous times. These folks have pushed this back several times. They were suppose to break ground this first quarter. They are in such a choice location I am puzzled as to all these delays.

They're most likely trying to space out delivery between other competing projects, and waiting on the existing inventory to finish absorbing. Most DLI projects are at 70-80% occupancy as of a couple months ago.

• Like 1

If this does come to fruition, it will be the eight residential block in the 20 block square surrounding the Cathedral.

When you think about what was here before (parking district), you begin to realize how fast this actually happened. I know when we first started talking about the Downtown Living Initiative, 

it seemed like it would take forever and now we're looking at a new neighborhood with thousands now living in downtown that weren't there before.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

This one's likely to be the next apartment project to begin Downtown

http://www.downtowntirz.com/downtownhouston/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/190305-JOINT-BOD-MEETING-AGENDA.pdf

Man I hope so because this is the one I’ve been waiting for. Why? Because I see this as such an important link to have main st developed.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Don't they have to have retail to qualify for the DLI?

I thought so, but urbanizer said that wasn't true... I believe every DLI project has GFR though (new builds at least)...

Either way the updated design looks good!

image.png.2c065c51c0813f99213e7c7cdba18a13.png

image.png.8f779b4ae38e03217ccbe6eb1d8edbbd.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Block 334 and the Alexan don't have GFR, and I don't think the one on Caroline does.  The one on San Jacinto next to the Co-Cathedral has spots that could be retail spots, but I've only seen one business in there, and it lasted about a week.  They don't advertise them being retail spots for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Block 334 and the Alexan don't have GFR, and I don't think the one on Caroline does.  The one on San Jacinto next to the Co-Cathedral has spots that could be retail spots, but I've only seen one business in there, and it lasted about a week.  They don't advertise them being retail spots for sure.

Maybe it was just Phase 2?

Here is the language from the DLI Design Guidelines:

A Streets. Ground floors facing A streets should contain active uses. For sites adjacent to Main Street, Main Street is the priority A street for ground floor uses. While retail is the preferred ground floor use, other acceptable uses include public building spaces such as lobbies, common building amenities, fitness facilities, open office space, live/work space, day care centers, etc. (see Figure 5). Regardless of initial use, all ground floors facing A streets should be configured such that they may accommodate retail in the future.2.

B Streets. While ground floors facing B streets should also contain active uses to the greatest extent possible, they may contain other uses, such as residential and office. Uses such as building services, storage, and structured parking should be avoided to the greatest extent possible along B streets.

(A Streets are Primary pedestrian streets.  B Streets are Secondary pedestrian streets (pedestrian-oriented streets with some potential building services).

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

A Streets. Ground floors facing A streets should contain active uses. For sites adjacent to Main Street, Main Street is the priority A street for ground floor uses. While retail is the preferred ground floor use, other acceptable uses include public building spaces such as lobbies, common building amenities, fitness facilities, open office space, live/work space, day care centers, etc. (see Figure 5). Regardless of initial use, all ground floors facing A streets should be configured such that they may accommodate retail in the future.2.

B Streets. While ground floors facing B streets should also contain active uses to the greatest extent possible, they may contain other uses, such as residential and office. Uses such as building services, storage, and structured parking should be avoided to the greatest extent possible along B streets.

(A Streets are Primary pedestrian streets.  B Streets are Secondary pedestrian streets (pedestrian-oriented streets with some potential building services).

Looks like someone used their noodle on these. Good stuff.

Just now, Twinsanity02 said:

If this goes up will, I believe that leaves only  three more DLI projects: Camden's second tower, Block 98, and some apartment tower north of the ballpark. Anyone know different?

Seems like there was the Marquette apartment tower north of the ballpark and also an apartment midrise.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

If this goes up will, I believe that leaves only  three more DLI projects: Camden's second tower, Block 98, and some apartment tower north of the ballpark. Anyone know different?

According to the Downtown TIRZ website (but it seems to clearly be incomplete; the DLI was for a total of 5,000 units):

Completed:

• SkyHouse Houston (336)
  • Block 334 (207)
  • SkyHouse Main (336)
  • The Star (323)
  • Market Square Tower (463)
  • Aris Market Square  (287)

Planned:

• Fairfield Residential (286)

Presumably, the following were/are also DLI projects:

--  1414 Texas  (285)

-- 1711 Caroline (220)

-- Camden Downtown (271)

-- Catalyst (364)

-- Eighteen25 (242)

-- The Hamilton? (148)

Planned:

--800 Walker, Block 98 (314)

-- Camden Downtown Phase II (279)

-- Marquette Jackson & Commerce, Block 114 (304)

Those add up to 4,665.  I must have missed some.  I recall they said they had agreements for all 5,000.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

I thought Marlowe was DLI as well.

I don’t think The Hamilton was.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, Houston19514 said:

Thanks! So it requires that they at least be able to accommodate retail in the future ... I guess that’s what we all were remembering.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, Urbannizer said:

What was on the site before (Humble).

39036200220_f0d1e68ce9_o.jpg

1962-03 Main Street Houston by Mark Navarro, on Flickr

This was Humble's first gas station, designed by Alfred C. Finn (who did the Gulf building) and built in 1919. It is featured in The Field Guide to Gas Stations in Texas, page 3-3:

https://www.thc.texas.gov/public/upload/preserve/survey/highway/TxDOT Field Guide to Gas Stations in TX 2016.pdf

• Like 8

• 4 months later...