38 minutes ago, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

Amegy bank parking lot / block next to this block (387)being excavated - is it part of this development? Seperate block than 387 - it has a lot of activity as well.

That project is located here:

These are not related to one another. Two completely different projects.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, Avossos said:

Jesus sell at lot value and let's get something good here... whatever it is.

Redevelop it into affordable housing with all the amenities of a luxury apt.  Rents no less than 1000.00. 

• Like 2

Thought this was going to be CVS or something when walking by it until I checked this thread. 😅

This is one of the few developments where I kinda question the amount of parking spots. Its right on the light rail, and the people who live here probably will work either in DT or Med Center. You can take Lamar on a bike to the bayou and then to the Heights or the Park or to school at UHD. Still, exchanging a parking lot for 200+ units that aren't SUPER LUXURY like some of the other spots in DT/Midtown is a win. Need more stuff like this. I don't think you really get the kind of development, the cafe's and what not, that people clamor for until you have people at multiple price points in a market, but I may be wrong. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

This is one of the few developments where I kinda question the amount of parking spots. Its right on the light rail, and the people who live here probably will work either in DT or Med Center. You can take Lamar on a bike to the bayou and then to the Heights or the Park or to school at UHD. Still, exchanging a parking lot for 200+ units that aren't SUPER LUXURY like some of the other spots in DT/Midtown is a win. Need more stuff like this. I don't think you really get the kind of development, the cafe's and what not, that people clamor for until you have people at multiple price points in a market, but I may be wrong. 

How many parking spots are there going to be?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Three stories worth, supposedly. As a thought experiment, with this where it is a short train ride and a short walk from Randalls, got Yoga nearby in midtown, YMCA, the bars, and the foodhalls this is a place where maybe in another city the parking would be outsourced or the actual provided parking would be minimal. Its a nice spot. I do own a car though, so if I lived there I would definitely park it somewhere, so I'm not trying to be hypocritical, but eventually I think I'd be like "hmmmmm, do I really need this now?" (especially if the loss of the car payment helps alot, which it would).  

• Like 2

Houston is still a very spread out City. Just because the immediate area is walkable doesn't mean that everyone will be ok with being 100% carless. 

In other words just because residents can live carless doesn't mean that they will want to. 

Work and groceries might be the top places that residents go to, and they would definitely be able to do that without a car on this area but there are other things that people do. Who knows, there might be some that need to go to the airport regularly and doing that on the bus is possible but still not all that convenient. Others might have family spread across the city and need to drive to those places. Downtown has good food, but not all the great good places are downtown.

So although a fine existence is possible at that spot without a car, it might not be a good enough existence for everyone

• Like 7

On 2/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, Houston19514 said:

Has the city ever considered a Parking variance ordinance that would cut the required spots by, say 50%, within 1,000 feet of train stop?  Effectively, it's a deregulation, so both the pro-transit and pro-business people may like it?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

Has the city ever considered a Parking variance ordinance that would cut the required spots by, say 50%, within 1,000 feet of train stop?  Effectively, it's a deregulation, so both the pro-transit and pro-business people may like it?

i think the answer to your question is yes.  But this particular project is downtown, where there are no minimum parking requirements.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at these angles, a 10 floor + building would create another mini skyline. But the infill is good.

Skyhouse improved the street presence around Bell Station so I'm sure this project will improve the DTTC rail stop too. Especially with the work across the street in front of Amegy.

Would be nice if the Amegy Garage lot gets improved. And of course everyone's favorite eyesore on the other side just keeping on keeping on

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Looking at these angles, a 10 floor + building would create another mini skyline. But the infill is good.

Skyhouse improved the street presence around Bell Station so I'm sure this project will improve the DTTC rail stop too. Especially with the work across the street in front of Amegy.

Would be nice if the Amegy Garage lot gets improved. And of course everyone's favorite eyesore on the other side just keeping on keeping on

What is going on in front of the Amegy building? I assumed parking but I had never noticed that construction til last week.

29 minutes ago, X.R. said:

What is going on in front of the Amegy building? I assumed parking but I had never noticed that construction til last week.

It is a parking garage. The thread is in the Downtown subforum.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 3:40 PM, ArchFan said:

The former "tallest Holiday Inn in the world" may be there until it collapses under the weight of so much concrete and oxidizing rebar.  Unfortunately for me, I won't live long enough to enjoy that sight :-)

Here's my plan.  City puts a sign out front that says anyone who sprays graffiti on the building has to take a brick or chunk of concrete home with them or they go to jail.  It will be gone by summer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

Here's my plan.  City puts a sign out front that says anyone who sprays graffiti on the building has to take a brick or chunk of concrete home with them or they go to jail.  It will be gone by summer.

My idea was to give it to CrossFit and have them do some kind of workout that involves manual demolition and running up and down stairs with buckets of debris. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...