11 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Groundbreaking planned for next quarter. This and three other projects (all totaling 1,454 units) will have to begin soon in order to keep their incentive.

https://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2016-06-22/061516_Development_Map__Renders_11X17.pdf

Wow. Bold move if the apartment market is as overbuilt as I keep hearing.

MarathonMan, I have the same impression as you.  I remember back in 2007 and 2008 when I was working in Austin, the natives swore the downtown building boom there was foolish and there would be an oversupply of residential.  About 8 years and 10 highrises later, it's pretty clear those people had no idea what they were talking about.  The same thing is going on in Atlanta right now.  Lots of people "in the know" claimed two years ago a bust was inevitable, and yet if you drive down 75/85, you will see tons of new midrises and highrises, with more projects in the pipeline for midtown/downtown.

The common thread in each of these situations is most of these pessimistic people live in the suburbs (or at the very least, nowhere near the city centers) and don't fit the typical profile of the kind of people who would live in these developments.  The idea of living downtown is personally foreign or strange to them, based on old notions, and so they assume everyone else feels the same way.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I run through downtown several times a week and check out the progress of developments along the way.  It seems like the new residential developments downtown are filling up fast -- Skyhouse,  500 Crawford, Block 334.  

Question on for debate: While the Houston market as a whole may be saturated, could the downtown sub-market be far from saturation since it's population density is so low to begin with?

I'd submit that downtown is catching the eye of more and more people.  It's got a lot to offer and I think will be close to critical mass as current under-construction projects deliver.  Retail will surge and additional residential will follow.  

Seems to me like downtown is low-risk for financiers and developers.

Downtown might lead the rest of the city given that interest is rising and supply is still low, but if the whole market is overbuilt (to the tune of 3+ month rent abatements being offered), then that is going to affect downtown as well. There is only so much extra someone will pay for downtown when landlords in Midtown and Montrose are rolling out the red carpet. Remember that something like 4,500 units were built across these neighborhoods in the last cycle.

On 5/20/2015 at 7:38 AM, HoustonIsHome said:

I am hoping this doesn't get pushed back. I don't really hear much about it.

On 5/20/2015 at 7:55 AM, Urbannizer said:

Well, we're still more than 6 months away from groundbreaking...

A year later abd crickets.

I wonder if this is built would it be the final push that causes redevelopment of the Days inn. They have been doing constant work on the Days Inn but that might be routine maintenance. 

24 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Does that show GFR along main street? Or am I just seeing what I want to see?

If it is GFR, it will be next to the Skyhouse main GFR

It's possible they revised some details along with the design, but their initial plans submitted to the DRA called for two ground level units on Main Street and no retail

2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I thought they had to have GFR in order to qualify for the tax rebate?

It's not required to qualify. I think about half of the projects with the rebate don't have retail.

29 minutes ago, Texasota said:

i thought they were live/work spaces?

The two ground level units in their initial application are the live/work spaces.

I like the hodgepodge of colors.

I like that what ever is on the ground floor does not look like a fortress guarding against perceived ills of society. 

It looks like a friendly building. 

The buildings with bare walls or covered in living walls should be on Eldredge parkway. 

It looks like it would be easily converted to GFR if the opportunity arises.

13 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

One step closer to my dream of having no parking lots along Main from Buffalo Bayou to 45. 

That is actually a really cool way to define a density-inspired aspiration. I like it so much, I might just steal it and say it's been mine all along.

yah, that's it!

Dude:. Stop stealing MY Dreams.

• Like 1

Texas, Louisiana,  Mckinney,  Lamar, are all closer to that dream than Main.

Texas street is built on both sides except for a little sliver of a lot across from minute made.

Mckinney and Louisiana is plagued by the same block, the most density ruining block downtown,  the Block that was supposed to house our crown jewel, the famed bank of the SW tower.

Lamar is developed from 45 to 59 except for that lot across from the 4 seasons.

I think main has like 4 whole blocks and 3 half blocks to work on. I guess that just gives more to look forward too.

i know this is pretty unrelated (actually its super unrelated)

but do any of yall think that a residential skyscraper boom could happen in houston after this rebound?

perhaps not as large as miami but like at least a good 5-10 150m residentials within the next 10 years

edit (im just mad at miami :( whenever i look at their stats i just get infuriated! they have 22 150m+ u/c! and whats even more ridiculous is that not a single one is office! all of them are residential except a few hotel/resid. towers)

but i am curious as to what miami's street activity looks like given all of these residential towers and i would hate for our downtown to only feel more dead due to a bunch of resid. towers

i guess its pretty obvious now that ive never been to miami but at least i have enough years left to waste a few days in miami

wow is this becoming a rant lol

Edited by htownboy

Much of Louisiana is pretty terrible in terms of street interaction though. Main at least is pretty good about not having parking garage entrances or blank walls. Even with the remaining parking lots, Main is easily the nicer street. Also, you could really stretch Main's "no parking lots" goal all the way down to 59. Or Brays Bayou.Or OST. Or 610. At the very least, Main through Midtown and the Museum District could easily be included.

17 minutes ago, htownboy said:

but do any of yall think that a residential skyscraper boom could happen in houston after this rebound?

perhaps not as large as miami but like at least a good 5-10 150m residentials within the next 10 years

edit (im just mad at miami :( whenever i look at their stats i just get infuriated! they have 22 150m+ u/c! and whats even more ridiculous is that not a single one is office! all of them are residential except a few hotel/resid. towers)

but i am curious as to what miami's street activity looks like given all of these residential towers and i would hate for our downtown to only feel more dead due to a bunch of resid. towers

i guess its pretty obvious now that ive never been to miami but at least i have enough years left to waste a few days in miami

I don't know for certain but I am willing to guess that many of those Miami resi towers have high sales rates but low occupancy rates.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if half of the units are owned (by foreign nationals or "off shore" entities) but sit empty much of the time.  Just a place to park some money and keep it out of the country of your domicile.

perhaps there is a big retail business building boom going on around these resi condos.  But, if there isn't, it likely has something to do with absentee condo owners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, htownboy said:

I think Houston will see an increase in foreign nationals as developers and investors in large scale residential.  For reference my girlfriend has managed large apartment complexes in Houston that are owned by foreigner investors.  Perfect example is the Australian developer in Midtown.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
26 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

According to January’s Downtown TIRZ meeting, this project, Block 98 and Block 114 are still being planned. No update as to when they’ll actually break ground.

http://www.downtowntirz.com/downtownhouston/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/190115-Zone-Minutes-SIGNED.pdf

I don't know much about this project but block 98 is still scheduled to kick off later this year.

• Like 6