Development South Of Minute Maid Park

Triton

Some demolition work is being done just south of Minute Maid Field next to the Annunciation Catholic Church.

I was thinking this was may be related to the parking garage:

15062626944_a6886bbfec_o.png

But I'm not 100% sure that they needed to abandon the street and demo the lot next door.

15497260577_1adb9967ae_h.jpg

New development by marclongoria, on Flickr

15682455155_1dcde4a450_h.jpg

New development by marclongoria, on Flickr

Anyone have any other info on this? I figured they may be pushed to the downtown subforum...

Some demolition work is being done just south of Minute Maid Field next to the Annunciation Catholic Church.

I was thinking this was may be related to the parking garage:

15062626944_a6886bbfec_o.png

But I'm not 100% sure that they needed to abandon the street and demo the lot next door.

Anyone have any other info on this? I figured they may be pushed to the downtown subforum...

If the yellow highlighting means anything, both the demolitions and street abandonment are pretty clearly related to the planned parking garage. 

Regardless of the highlighting on the map, it is very clear neither the demolitions nor the street abandonment have anything to do with the Nau Center.

If the yellow highlighting means anything, both the demolitions and street abandonment are pretty clearly related to the planned parking garage. 

Regardless of the highlighting on the map, it is very clear neither the demolitions nor the street abandonment have anything to do with the Nau Center.

Clarification: I did the yellow highlighting myself to show the affected area. 

The 13 and 32 are atop the garage, so the block appears to be north of there. HSPVA appears to be 29 or possibly 26. I don't remember enough about the Downtown map to know which numbers are 36 and 38.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-09-12/140911_Double_Sided_Development_Map_Renders_Map_11x17_1.pdf

The 13 and 32 are atop the garage, so the block appears to be north of there. HSPVA appears to be 29 or possibly 26. I don't remember enough about the Downtown map to know which numbers are 36 and 38.

29 and 26 are both residential projects.  (26 is the Catalyst -- 29 stories.)   The HSPVA site is not on Triton's map. 

36 is the Nau Center.

38 is where Houston First Corp. has been working with Annunciation on a possible parking garage.  It would make complete sense to abandon the street so that Annunciation can have their parking directly on their campus (and the street does not go anywhere anyway).  The demolitions taking place on the current Annunciation campus I have no idea about.

So this is simply a parking garage for the church?

The downtown development map identifies Item 38 as a "300 car parking garage for Incarnate Word Academy and Annunciation Catholic Church."   The quote above from the church's website suggests they plan to also build one or more other new structures on their campus; at least a new rectory. 

I can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that Houston First Corporation is working with the church on the parking garage project.  That suggests to me that we may see a larger  or at least shared-use parking garage (perhaps providing parking for the Nau Center) with some ground floor retail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Development South Of Minute Maid Park

Archived