Jump to content

Future International Routes Out of IAH


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TAP Portugal is looking to add IAH in 2020:   https://onemileatatime.com/tap-air-portugal-new-destinations-2020/

Ask and you shall receive. Ethiopian announces 3 x weekly to Houston:   http://m.digitaljournal.com/pr/4127682

ANA resumes Houston to Tokyo (Haneda) service.

22 minutes ago, astros148 said:

United is buulding a 350 million dollar bag room and plan on adding 150 flights in 2 years. Iah to mumbai and iah to lagos is all but guaranteed.

 

Hate to be that guy, but... source?? This seems extremely hard to believe given United's complete disregard for IAH in the past few years. Every other hub has gotten multiple new international routes and domestic routes, while we've gotten... Spokane and Ontario?? Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if this happened and hopefully you have some awesome insider info, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, astros148 said:

United is buulding a 350 million dollar bag room and plan on adding 150 flights in 2 years. Iah to mumbai and iah to lagos is all but guaranteed.

 

Do you mean 150 flights/week or per day? 150/day would be an insane increase. 150/week is still an increase, but not a ton.

 

3 minutes ago, asubrt said:

 

Hate to be that guy, but... source?? This seems extremely hard to believe given United's complete disregard for IAH in the past few years. Every other hub has gotten multiple new international routes and domestic routes, while we've gotten... Spokane and Ontario?? Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if this happened and hopefully you have some awesome insider info, but I'll believe it when I see it.

 

I think part of it is additional planes coming online. Looking at summer now for MAX to come back. 

 

These new CRJ's with lots of biz are for EWR and ORD. 

 

I think there's a 0% chance UA launches Mumbai, but Air India certainly might.

 

There's a much better chance of Lagos coming back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've gotten Spokane. Ontario used to be served multiple times a day with 737s and then vanished. United brought it back with a once daily flight on a regional jet. 

 

Personally, I miss seeing the 757-300s at IAH that used to serve LAX, DEN, SFO, EWR, SAN, MCO, etc... but now are exclusively at other hubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, asubrt said:

 

Hate to be that guy, but... source?? This seems extremely hard to believe given United's complete disregard for IAH in the past few years. Every other hub has gotten multiple new international routes and domestic routes, while we've gotten... Spokane and Ontario?? Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if this happened and hopefully you have some awesome insider info, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I work at United in the operation department at IAH.  We've hired over 200 employees over the past 2 years and are still hiring. We've hired more in the past 1 year then we did between 2007-2017. I'll know by May additional routes if others are interested. 

 

If you want me to post photos of the new bagroom under construction or whatever else to prove myself just let me know and I'll snap some pics.

Edited by astros148
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wilcal said:

 

Do you mean 150 flights/week or per day? 150/day would be an insane increase. 150/week is still an increase, but not a ton.

 

 

I think part of it is additional planes coming online. Looking at summer now for MAX to come back. 

 

These new CRJ's with lots of biz are for EWR and ORD. 

 

I think there's a 0% chance UA launches Mumbai, but Air India certainly might.

 

There's a much better chance of Lagos coming back. 

Ill bet you anything the Mumbai route will be confirmed. 

 

Also IAH-MDE is another route that is being discussed. 

Edited by astros148
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, astros148 said:

I work at United in the operation department at IAH.  We've hired over 200 employees over the past 2 years and are still hiring. We've hired more in the past 1 year then we did between 2007-2017. I'll know by May additional routes if others are interested. 

 

If you want me to post photos of the new bagroom under construction or whatever else to prove myself just let me know and I'll snap some pics.


Well that’s definitely encouraging, sorry to be a hater I’ve just been disappointed many times in the past few years. I was more skeptical about the Mumbai/Lagos routes, I don’t doubt the bag room is happening. Keep us posted with any info that you can share!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, astros148 said:

Ill bet you anything the Mumbai route will be confirmed. 

 

Also IAH-MDE is another route that is being discussed. 

 

I'm not that confident against your confidence, but again, I would be gobsmacked if it was UA that launches BOM. 

 

MDE is a no-brainer. Definitely can see that being launched when MAX planes come back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, asubrt said:


Well that’s definitely encouraging, sorry to be a hater I’ve just been disappointed many times in the past few years. I was more skeptical about the Mumbai/Lagos routes, I don’t doubt the bag room is happening. Keep us posted with any info that you can share!

Its not just any bag but its the most expensive bag room in the USA. During the holiday season we had major issues with luggage and we were even storing luggage in the training classrooms because we literally had no where to store them. After the new bag room is built we'll be able to handle more then 75k bags a day. I'll post photos of the construction of the room. We'll have the third most sophisticated bagroom only behind DXB and ICN. 

Edited by astros148
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, wilcal said:

 

Do you mean 150 flights/week or per day? 150/day would be an insane increase. 150/week is still an increase, but not a ton.

 

At the moment we service 492 a day and we plan on increasing it to 700-800 A DAY after 2022. I dont think you guys know just how much growth United is planning for IAH.

Edited by astros148
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, astros148 said:

At the moment we service 492 a day and we plan on increasing it to 700-800 A DAY after 2022. I dont think you guys know just how much growth United is planning for IAH.

 

l've been hearing whisperings about this growth to 700+ flights a day recently in other forums.  Hope it comes true.  FWIW, that is a LOT of growth, especially considering they apparently plan to grow the Denver hub from about 550 flights per day this summer to more than 700 per day by 2025.  https://thepointsguy.com/news/denver-could-be-united-airlines-largest-hub-by-2025/

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

 

l've been hearing whisperings about this growth to 700+ flights a day recently in other forums.  Hope it comes true.  FWIW, that is a LOT of growth, especially considering they apparently plan to grow the Denver hub from about 550 flights per day this summer to more than 700 per day by 2025.  https://thepointsguy.com/news/denver-could-be-united-airlines-largest-hub-by-2025/

I've spoken to Rodney Cox whos in charge of operations for the entire airport. Im not sure why that rumor is spreading because United plans on making Houston the largest hub by 2023. In regards to Denver they plan on expanding to 650 by 2025 but Houston will be the king of of all hubs. Denver will take over alot of the regional routes and replace them with 737's, but Houston will get the most destinations added. IAH to Dublin, Iah to Aukland are all but guaranteed as well. United wouldn't be investing 1/3 of a billion dollars into a single airport if didnt see it as the king. Houston will be the only United airport that will have EBS (Early bag system). I'll post photos of the construction when I have time but its going to be one of a kind. 

Edited by astros148
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Auckland? UA already has a JV with the Air New Zealand flight. I cannot imagine there'd be room for double daily flights to Kiwi and connections to Oz.

 

Agreed. I've also heard that the Houston-Sydney route is struggling as well. I don't know that there's that kind of demand to go down under? Anybody know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wxman said:

 

Agreed. I've also heard that the Houston-Sydney route is struggling as well. I don't know that there's that kind of demand to go down under? Anybody know?

 

Well, lets put it this way, UA announced in Nov that IAH-SYD would be daily in 2020 and then and it'll be a combo of 4X and 6X per week over the course of May-Aug 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing a 5 Asian city tour in March and I need some inside info:

 

I'll be flying IAH to NRT on United (14.5 hours)

NRT - BKK on Thai Airlines (8 hrs)

BKK - SIN on Thai Air Aisa (2.5 hrs)

SIN - KUL on Thai Air Asia (1 hour)

KUL - PEK on Air China (6.5 hours)

PEK - IAH on Air China (13.5 hours)

 

How is the flight from IAH to NRT? Is the food decent? Is it a comfortable flight?

How is Air China? I'm trying to determine if I should pack a bag with food. I'm a picky eater and would hate to think I'll be going without anything to eat on the flight from KUL to PEK to IAH.

Anybody flown Thai Air Asia or Thai Airlines? How are they? Anything I should know about any of the aforementioned airlines?

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, wxman said:

How is the flight from IAH to NRT? Is the food decent? Is it a comfortable flight?

How is Air China? I'm trying to determine if I should pack a bag with food. I'm a picky eater and would hate to think I'll be going without anything to eat on the flight from KUL to PEK to IAH.

Anybody flown Thai Air Asia or Thai Airlines? How are they? Anything I should know about any of the aforementioned airlines?

 

Thanks!

 

Was in Asia recently, but I flew EVA Air on the way there and back. However, I did take Thai Airways from TPE - BKK and BKK - HKT. It is a pretty nice airline, though we were in business class on both segments (first time in my life!). Not as nice as EVA, or probably ANA/Singapore/etc. I would imagine it's better than Air China or Thai Air Asia. The food wasn't bad, though they were both early morning flights so it was breakfast, which is typically less adventurous I'd imagine. If you are a picky eater I would definitely pack some food (or at least some snacks), especially on Air China, as some of the other Asian airlines we flew had food that wasn't exactly friendly for particular palates. Have a great trip, Singapore is especially amazing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wxman said:

I'm doing a 5 Asian city tour in March and I need some inside info:

 

I'll be flying IAH to NRT on United (14.5 hours)

NRT - BKK on Thai Airlines (8 hrs)

BKK - SIN on Thai Air Aisa (2.5 hrs)

SIN - KUL on Thai Air Asia (1 hour)

KUL - PEK on Air China (6.5 hours)

PEK - IAH on Air China (13.5 hours)

 

How is the flight from IAH to NRT? Is the food decent? Is it a comfortable flight?

How is Air China? I'm trying to determine if I should pack a bag with food. I'm a picky eater and would hate to think I'll be going without anything to eat on the flight from KUL to PEK to IAH.

Anybody flown Thai Air Asia or Thai Airlines? How are they? Anything I should know about any of the aforementioned airlines?

 

Thanks!

 

I did the IAH-PEK trip last year, and it was definitely a disappointment.  The IFE system was worse than what Turkish was using way back in 2013, and the food was mediocre at best (no better than United, and that says a lot).  I wish we had a different nonstop option to China.  The only good thing is Air China still does 9 across in coach on a 777 instead of 10 across like some of the penny-pinching carriers.  The only other time I flew to PEK was on a 747 via Northwest so that's too long ago to be comparable.  Hopefully we'll see a nonstop route to Shanghai in the future as an alternative, as I would take that next time I go to China.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you're using NRT but I'd switch and take ANA via HND. A huge difference in service between United and All Nippon! I've flown Air China but it was a long time ago. Their reputation isn't the best. I'd pack food for sure. Thai is a solid carrier. Not as good as the premiere Asian carriers but much better than United and Air China. Never flown Thai Air Asia but those are short duration so doesn't really matter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, astros148 said:

Its not just any bag but its the most expensive bag room in the USA. During the holiday season we had major issues with luggage and we were even storing luggage in the training classrooms because we literally had no where to store them. After the new bag room is built we'll be able to handle more then 75k bags a day. I'll post photos of the construction of the room. We'll have the third most sophisticated bagroom only behind DXB and ICN. 

 

Any idea when this is supposed to be complete? United is cutting yet another destination from IAH (West Palm Beach), which may be partially due to the MAX/lack of aircraft, but people are saying that United are holding off on adding any meaningful service until the bag room is finished.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, asubrt said:

 

Any idea when this is supposed to be complete? United is cutting yet another destination from IAH (West Palm Beach), which may be partially due to the MAX/lack of aircraft, but people are saying that United are holding off on adding any meaningful service until the bag room is finished.

 

3rd Quarter of 2022 is when it is supposed to be finished. Per the chronicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Geographer said:

Has anyone heard news of an IAH to SGN (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) route?


It’s one of the unserved destinations with the highest PDEW from Houston, but I think it would be the second longest flight in the world and with very little premium demand = it will almost definitely never happen. Certainly not before LAX.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

IAH only has so many slots. SWA's presence at IAH will be minimal with only a few flights a day to a few destinations. Also, SWA has recently announced multiple new routes out of Hobby starting to Cincinnati, Detroit, Fort Myers, Miami, Minneapolis, Ontario, and Sacramento. I think HOU will be just fine! 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be very interesting to see what gate(s) Southwest uses at Bush Airport.   We were told in another thread that there is no room in Terminal A for additional flights because United is hoarding the gates to the point that other airlines cannot find a place to dock.  Will be interesting to see how Southwest manages to find a gate.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently, United has A1, A2, A3, A7, and A8. A3 is rarely used, it is the smaller part of Terminal A that Continental Connection (the prop planes for smaller Texas markets) used to fly out back before 2012-ish. When Southwest flew to IAH prior to 2005, they flew out of A7 and A8.  (Link to photo of Southwest at IAH https://www.airliners.net/photo/Southwest-Airlines/Boeing-737-3T5/679490?qsp=eJwljksOwyAMBe/iNYuQlH7YtRdoFr2ABVaCRAMyrtQoyt1L6M5%2BY43fBi4tQl95rZnAQiFkN4OCjIzvAnYDDBzDckDTDxddmUufRXgFa7RRwDSFtIDV5qYgJofS1uHUXbUCj0LjnCRNjHkmXzV9152qpSSWR5W0k7tzlKXif/5kT3wgKq6Vmer/asvEY5thONfch5IjNgcJhgj7/gNwrEJp

 

I think a few things could happen:

 

1. Southwest could take over A7 and A8 and UA would still have A1-A3. A3 has technically 8 gates for smaller regional planes, but is rarely used. I think UA could makes use out of that again with SkyWest operating some of their Crj-200 for United Express. This would then open up A7 and A8 for SWA. United is probably not very happy with SWA's announcement, so I doubt they will ever give those two gates up. 

Or

2. A3 section is demolished and Houston Airport System expands A by a few gates (very unlikely); or SWA just uses A3's existing hardstands reducing it from 8 regional stands to like 2-3 hardstands meant for 737. 

Or

3. SWA takes over 2 of American's gates (they have A25-A30)

 

Again, all speculation, but I am very curious to see how this plays out! If anyone has other ideas, would love to hear them :). 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 1:43 PM, Justin Welling said:

IAH only has so many slots. SWA's presence at IAH will be minimal with only a few flights a day to a few destinations. Also, SWA has recently announced multiple new routes out of Hobby starting to Cincinnati, Detroit, Fort Myers, Miami, Minneapolis, Ontario, and Sacramento. I think HOU will be just fine! 

 

 

 

Link to the announcement? Interested in Detroit specifically and don't see it on the calendar for the next few months. 

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

Currently, United has A1, A2, A3, A7, and A8. A3 is rarely used, it is the smaller part of Terminal A that Continental Connection (the prop planes for smaller Texas markets) used to fly out back before 2012-ish. When Southwest flew to IAH prior to 2005, they flew out of A7 and A8.  (Link to photo of Southwest at IAH https://www.airliners.net/photo/Southwest-Airlines/Boeing-737-3T5/679490?qsp=eJwljksOwyAMBe/iNYuQlH7YtRdoFr2ABVaCRAMyrtQoyt1L6M5%2BY43fBi4tQl95rZnAQiFkN4OCjIzvAnYDDBzDckDTDxddmUufRXgFa7RRwDSFtIDV5qYgJofS1uHUXbUCj0LjnCRNjHkmXzV9152qpSSWR5W0k7tzlKXif/5kT3wgKq6Vmer/asvEY5thONfch5IjNgcJhgj7/gNwrEJp

 

I think a few things could happen:

 

1. Southwest could take over A7 and A8 and UA would still have A1-A3. A3 has technically 8 gates for smaller regional planes, but is rarely used. I think UA could makes use out of that again with SkyWest operating some of their Crj-200 for United Express. This would then open up A7 and A8 for SWA. United is probably not very happy with SWA's announcement, so I doubt they will ever give those two gates up. 

Or

2. A3 section is demolished and Houston Airport System expands A by a few gates (very unlikely); or SWA just uses A3's existing hardstands reducing it from 8 regional stands to like 2-3 hardstands meant for 737. 

Or

3. SWA takes over 2 of American's gates (they have A25-A30)

 

Again, all speculation, but I am very curious to see how this plays out! If anyone has other ideas, would love to hear them :). 

 

 

 

Yeah, Southwest is going to need 3 gates tops. Probably 2 is fine. 

 

My preference is that UA dumps A entirely. With no check-in and no baggage facilities at A, customers have to take the train to/from B which is kind of ridiculous. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

 

 

I think a few things could happen:

 

1. Southwest could take over A7 and A8 and UA would still have A1-A3. A3 has technically 8 gates for smaller regional planes, but is rarely used. I think UA could makes use out of that again with SkyWest operating some of their Crj-200 for United Express. This would then open up A7 and A8 for SWA. United is probably not very happy with SWA's announcement, so I doubt they will ever give those two gates up. 

Or

2. A3 section is demolished and Houston Airport System expands A by a few gates (very unlikely); or SWA just uses A3's existing hardstands reducing it from 8 regional stands to like 2-3 hardstands meant for 737. 

Or

3. SWA takes over 2 of American's gates (they have A25-A30)

 

Again, all speculation, but I am very curious to see how this plays out! If anyone has other ideas, would love to hear them :). 

 

 

 

The airport system is actually planning to expand Terminal A by a few gates, but of course that won't be ready in time for Southwest to start service in early 2021.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

The airport system is actually planning to expand Terminal A by a few gates, but of course that won't be ready in time for Southwest to start service in early 2021.

 

That's kind of interesting since it's usually the airlines that pay for expansions. Maybe one of the legacies like AA or DL want their own little nicer area?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

@wilcal Saw it from airliners.net, can't seem to find the exact quote. Schedule starts it at March 11, so I guess it is not that soon. My bad. 

 

Yup, it's there in March! HOU-DTW 1835-2300 and DTW-HOU 0730-1000.

 

Reallllllllly annoying times, but it is what it is. That's pretty close to what Spirit had been flying from IAH for awhile. In-laws live in Saginaw, so the 90+ minute drive is brutal with this combo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking or A.Net, the newest OAG changes are out. 

 

Also, it appears VivaAerobus has dropped IAH (along with all of their other US destinations).

 

Air Canada is dropping Montreal and Calgary in November (but returning in December) and Toronto is dropping to once daily. 

 

Air France may be coming back in November.

 

Singapore cancelling IAH-MAN flights in December.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wilcal said:

Speaking or A.Net, the newest OAG changes are out. 

 

Also, it appears VivaAerobus has dropped IAH (along with all of their other US destinations).

 

Air Canada is dropping Montreal and Calgary in November (but returning in December) and Toronto is dropping to once daily. 

 

Air France may be coming back in November.

 

Singapore cancelling IAH-MAN flights in December.

 

 

Singapore Airlines pulling out of the Houston market permanently or in the interim?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

 

Not really, at least not directly.

 

UA directly paid for about 3/4 of the new terminal C North

 

https://www.chron.com/business/article/United-IAH-show-off-new-Terminal-C-North-10922067.php#:~:text=United and the Houston Airport,also known as Terminal D.

 

And most of Term B 

 

https://airportimprovement.com/article/houston-intercontinental-united-wrap-first-phase-1-billion-terminal-project

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wilcal said:

 

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that United has directly paid for many of the additions and improvements they have made to Bush Airport. They also have full control of their terminals.  Neither is the case for any non-hub carrier and it is not the case that non-hub carriers usually directly pay for airport improvements or additions, either in Houston or elsewhere.

Edited by Houston19514
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned above, prior to Southwest's announcement, the airport system has been proceeding with plans to add gates to Terminal A.  They have looked at four alternative expansion scenarios.

 

-North Concourse Extension, 4 gates   $110 Million

-Northwest Pier, 8 gates   $255 Million

-West Pier, 4 gates   $80 Million

-South Concourse Extensions, 4 gates    $66 MIllion

 

It looks like South Concourse Extension is the most likely to happen first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to jump into something that you guys are quite knowledgeable about, but couldn't Southwest moving into Terminal A just as simple as Southwest seizing on an opportunity caused by either a United or market weakness due to COVID? 

 

I can't imagine anything happening to Hobby with that announcement, its definitely the more...cohesive of the two airports, just in terms of food/bars/entertainment and alot of that, to me, happened after Southwest basically took over the place. But of course its smaller.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...